Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement with refurbished model?

Options
  • 10-04-2016 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Say I bring a faulty item back to the shop I got it from, they send it for repair under warranty, but it turns out it can't be repaired. Can they offer a refurbished model as replacement or does it have to be a new model (lets assume the faulty model is still available as new in the shop)?

If they can offer a refurbished model, does it's warranty have to extend to the same date as the new one I bought originally or should it have new warranty? (ie if the original item is 6 months old, does the refurbished model have 18 months or the full 2 years warranty?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Refurbished is fine and the warranty doesn't reset

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I know of a GPS device company who's policy is after 28 days you only get a refurbished model as a replacement. Send your unit off for warranty claim and you get a replacement which is a different refurbished unit. Your unit goes into circulation for repair and will be spat back out to someone else as a refurbished unit.

Means you are not waiting weeks for an assessment and repair as usually turned around within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

My iPhone 6 warranty reset when I got my original replaced by a refurbished device

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

garhjw wrote: »
    My iPhone 6 warranty reset when I got my original replaced by a refurbished device
    That's unusual, and is more than your strict entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

That's unusual, and is more than your strict entitlement.

i thought so too but i purchased my ihpnoe 6 from apple.com in April 2015. i returned it in september 2015 and received a refurbished device. when i looked at my apple account, the warranty expiration had moved to september 2016.

• Advertisement
Advertisement