Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or Private CUMH

Options
  • 10-04-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi all this has been asked before but all threads seem to be a good few years old so thought I would start it up again to see if anyone has any newer info.

I'm just after finding out I'm pregnant (we're thrilled but super cautious as early days and have a bit of a history. Thought it would be a good opp to start research.

Has anybody had any thoughts as to going public or private in CUMH? Is the standard of care the same? Are the costs roughly €3000K for private?? What is the difference is it just getting a private room & seeing same person each time? Would a good alternative be to go public and pay for extra scans? I see there is a place in Ballincollig that does private scans.

The private room wouldn't bother me as much as much as the standard of care. i would like the idea of seeing the same person each time but we would need to find €3K that we don't have at the moment! I have heard that the care received from the midwives going public is brilliant on the other hand.

Sorry for all the questions, any thoughts or advice is much much appreciated! I'm all new to this as first time pregnant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Hey there, I am going private to CUMH. I am under Dr Waterstone and so I have all my check ups and scans in his rooms (across the road from UCC). It cost us €3,200. The reason I chose to do this is that I previously had a myomectomy under Dr Waterstone, and then had fertility treatment in the Cork Fertility Clinic, which he runs so I was very used to him and have faith in him. Also, I am 38 and expecting twins so am fairly nervous!

As this is my first time I can't tell you anything about how it compares to the public system to be honest. We did talk to lots of people before making the decision, and we heard good and bad stories about both public and private. It is a lot of money and for us I think we are only paying it because it took us so long to get here and we didn't want to look back if anything goes wrong and wonder would it have made a difference to go private.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

brokensoul wrote: »
    Hey there, I am going private to CUMH. I am under Dr Waterstone and so I have all my check ups and scans in his rooms (across the road from UCC). It cost us €3,200. The reason I chose to do this is that I previously had a myomectomy under Dr Waterstone, and then had fertility treatment in the Cork Fertility Clinic, which he runs so I was very used to him and have faith in him. Also, I am 38 and expecting twins so am fairly nervous!

As this is my first time I can't tell you anything about how it compares to the public system to be honest. We did talk to lots of people before making the decision, and we heard good and bad stories about both public and private. It is a lot of money and for us I think we are only paying it because it took us so long to get here and we didn't want to look back if anything goes wrong and wonder would it have made a difference to go private.

Thanks a million for taking the time to reply. I can completely understand what you mean about piece of mind. It's a lot of money but it's the reassurance as you say. I think you can get some of it back in tax as well, 20%? Wow twins! What an exciting time, congrats & best of luck with all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant. This is my fourth pregnancy and all going well, our 3rd baby. With my first pregnancy I went through the public system but unfortunately had a miscarriage at 9ish weeks. Didn't have a great experience in CUMH then. I have pcos and thyroid problems and was a nervous wreck going into the next pregnancy so I went privately with Dr Dan McKenna at a cost of €3000. Had all my scans and visits in his rooms across from Cumh. The important thing for me was continuity of care so it suited me. I was lucky to get my own room too. I went with him again for my last pregnancy at a cost of €2600. To be fair the start of this pregnancy has been problematic and I ended up as an inpatient overnight on the public system and the treatment couldn't be faulted. I still decided to go private again though. Most of my friends have gone public and found it fine.

Roesy wrote: »
    I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant. This is my fourth pregnancy and all going well, our 3rd baby. With my first pregnancy I went through the public system but unfortunately had a miscarriage at 9ish weeks. Didn't have a great experience in CUMH then. I have pcos and thyroid problems and was a nervous wreck going into the next pregnancy so I went privately with Dr Dan McKenna at a cost of €3000. Had all my scans and visits in his rooms across from Cumh. The important thing for me was continuity of care so it suited me. I was lucky to get my own room too. I went with him again for my last pregnancy at a cost of €2600. To be fair the start of this pregnancy has been problematic and I ended up as an inpatient overnight on the public system and the treatment couldn't be faulted. I still decided to go private again though. Most of my friends have gone public and found it fine.

Thanks Roesy I have heard lots of people talking about Dan McKenna & how great he is!

I've found him to be excellent. Very easy to deal with, straight talking and very, very reassuring during delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Have only gone public with two non complicated pregnancies but did find the care to be good. Went through midwife led clinic last time and found it great - much quicker for appointments too. Only complaint was very little on wards afterwards for things like breastfeeding and importance of pelvic floor strengthening etc. But I don't think that would have been improved with private care. I do remember when in on my second the girl next to me was private and I remember her consultant coming in to review her on the Friday morning (day after section) and I couldn't help overhear the consult through the films curtains - I was shocked at the literally 5 minute visit and patient being told that it was it she'd be seen at the rooms again in 6 weeks for her checkup and regular docs would oversee her discharge as consultant was off for the weekend (which obviously they're entitled to) but I was a bit "glad I didn't pay 3 grand for that"
    Just to point out I've always been in 2 bed room though I do know they have 4 bed rooms so maybe it's pot luck I was in the smaller room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

I went public and had my wee fella 12 weeks ago. Absolutely cannot fault it. I was in a room of 2. I wanted to be in the MLU and luckily pregnancy was low risk so was in MLU in Mitchelstown. I didn't mind not seeing the same person each time to be honest. I hated the scan appointments in CUMH though,just so busy and like a cattle mart. The only thing that would make me consider private was that we only had three scans (12,20,22 weeks) and didn't get scan photos at the 20 week one. I also didn't like my consultant (that I only saw once at 20 wk scan) very much. I'm sure he was probably grand if I spent more time in his care though!

Thanks all for taking the time to reply ,really interesting responses here from all. I'm more confused than ever! I'm only 4 weeks gone so far but I guess I'll need to be making up my mind soon as doc will want to know! There is so much to take in information wise, its all a bit over whelming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Starbright do you have health insurance & have you had it for at least 1 yr? You can't go private otherwise.
    CUMH is a state-of-the-art maternity hospital. It's all new & shiny. It's not like some dodgier maternity hospitals you see in the news a lot. Therefore going private there is really a luxury. It's definitely not necessary especially as they have double rooms so you pay nothing & only have to share a room with 1 other person (by contrast e.g. Rotunda in Dublin you could be sharing with 10)
    So I would say- if you have the money lying around or if you're high risk then consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i went public in the CUMH on my first, honestly other than long waits for appointments it was ok, i was also put in a 2 bed room.

the second child we went with the Domino scheme in the CUMH, if you have this as an option i'd highly recommend it, in my opinion it was better than private care (i have indirect experience of this from relatives and boards.ie),

i wanted a home birth but i was too afraid of any risks to do it, the domino scheme was the next best thing so i chased it up to get on it, my experience of it outdid my expectations by a long shot, my husband and i cannot praise the domino midwives more, we got an anomaly scan along with the same scans the public get but unlike private they were all free, i still saw my gp as part of the combined care and while there is a team of midwives on the domino scheme my appointments happened to be with one in particular each time and she was fantastic, afterwards she also came to visit us as part of the scheme so continuity of care was there,

and to be fair the domino midwife that was there on the day i went into labour went above and beyond for us, the quality of care from her couldn't have been better and we actually miss her still (not enough to have another baby though, almost but not quite), we feel like that about all the domino midwives we met on our journey however :D and i found this scheme overall to be better run than consultant led care due to the attitudes of the midwives involved, i genuinely believe the birth was easier and more pain free this time around because of their care, and it was all natural like my first,

it also meant i was out of hospital that same day and at home for the follow up care which to me meant everything as i was able to relax with baby at home, likewise being at home meant 1 on 1 care with the midwives calling out to us in the days after the birth for my baby and i which was great as they were able to give better personally tailored advice for my own set up and i can say if it wasn't for them my child wouldn't be breastfed right now.

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    Starbright do you have health insurance & have you had it for at least 1 yr? You can't go private otherwise.
    CUMH is a state-of-the-art maternity hospital. It's all new & shiny. It's not like some dodgier maternity hospitals you see in the news a lot. Therefore going private there is really a luxury. It's definitely not necessary especially as they have double rooms so you pay nothing & only have to share a room with 1 other person (by contrast e.g. Rotunda in Dublin you could be sharing with 10)
    So I would say- if you have the money lying around or if you're high risk then consider it.

Thanks Lucuma. I have health insurance but the waiting period isn't up until June and even with that its a basic enough policy so no contributions towards private consultants. Its odd with CUMH its either public or private there is no semi-private.

I'll talk to doc as well. I have heard good things about the hospital in the since that its so new alright. Thanks for all of your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

AFAIK they are now offering the anomaly(anatomy) scans to most patients regardless of scheme, both myself and my best friend got one through public. Whether public or private, CUMH will be a great place for you and bubs.

I'm glad to hear that about the anomaly scans Pooch as I personally know very few people who got them. Two people I know had to really fight their cause to get them. One already had a child with a condition if not picked up on during pregnancy could have lead to complications at birth. The other already had a child with Down syndrome. Public or private I think everyone should get this scan!!!

Oh and as far as I'm aware there are 4 bed wards in Cumh as well are the single and double rooms. Still not bad compared to the huge wards in some of the other hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi Starbright, congrats!,

I went public on on my pregnancies in CUMH. Delighted with the level of care throughout. Loads of scans, including anomoly scans, great births, normal, unassisted with epidural for pain relief, with lovely midwives.. Semiprivate (2 bed) rooms each time for after baby was born.

Only advice I'd give you is to ASK for the first appointment of the morning. I was in and out in 30 minutes that way and I suspect if they are not rushed you get more scans... I've heard other people tell stories about waiting around for ages, but honestly, I never had that with early appointments. Only time I was in longer was when I picked up sinusitus mid pregnancy, and my blood pressure went crazy, so they kept me in for most of the day on a monitor.

It's streets ahead of any other hospital in the country. My friend had a baby in one of the dublin hospitals a few weeks ago (and paid 4k privately for it!) and it sounded like something from a war zone. 8 person wards as the private ones were not available, junkie handcuffed to the bed next to her in labour, no-one cleaning up after people when they had a bloody show or waters breaking on the floor, put in a bed covered in someone else's blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Roesy wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that about the anomaly scans Pooch as I personally know very few people who got them. Two people I know had to really fight their cause to get them. One already had a child with a condition if not picked up on during pregnancy could have lead to complications at birth. The other already had a child with Down syndrome. Public or private I think everyone should get this scan!!!

This topic has been discussed in the last week on another group I'm in. Two of the girls currently pregnant attending CUMH haven't gotten anomaly scans, one lady was told when she queried it there aren't enough scanners at the moment so they aren't offering them as routine. Another lady with the hospital suggested fighting your case from day one and requesting one constantly. It's one scan I'd fight tooth and nail for but disgraceful you'd have to.

You can also pay for an anomoly scan privately if you don't get one. 250 euro I think, from the private hospitals, which is still a lot less than the 3k for private.

I don't think the lack of anomaly scan is going to sway anyone from public to private when private scans are so readily available. At the end of the day I was happy to go private but wouldn't have done so if it meant putting my family under financial pressure. It was worth it for me for continuity of care and regular scans by the same person. As I said in a previous post,
    I had a bad experience there during a mc but €3000 is a lot of money and we were lucky that when we had our first that the only big purchase we had to make was a travel system as we were at the end of a group of friends/family having kids and and people were delighted to hand us over their baby stuff. Whichever way you decide to go, Op, you'll be in good hands out there. It's a fine hospital and most of the staff I've experienced there have been great.

Great thread all thanks still for yere input, advice and tips. Will definitely ask for apt first thing in the morning- great tip! I think we'll go public & pay privately for some extra scans if they won't give anomaly scan. There is also a midwife led study held in CUMH called "Improved" which means you get an extra scan, blood tests & checks so am looking into that at the moment as an extra. Has anyone heard of it? Would love to hear from someone who's done it.

That particular study was not around when I was there, but I did do a study called SCOPE at the time. That one was doing a lot of measurements and scans, and took some extra bloods. (both of me, the baby and my husband). A couple of extra appointments, but I found the study interesting, and the scans and extra checks to be reassuring.

There was follow up with the baby, I can't remember what age, but it actually worked out great, as we got fast tracked onto an allergy program in the hospital when they identified allergies with her.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    That particular study was not around when I was there, but I did do a study called SCOPE at the time. That one was doing a lot of measurements and scans, and took some extra bloods. (both of me, the baby and my husband). A couple of extra appointments, but I found the study interesting, and the scans and extra checks to be reassuring.

There was follow up with the baby, I can't remember what age, but it actually worked out great, as we got fast tracked onto an allergy program in the hospital when they identified allergies with her.

Thanks Pwurple great to hear info on it! Think I'll sign up, great to get some extra attention!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

Hi StarBright01  - Just wondering did you decide to go public in the end, how did u find it? Were you offered the 20 wk scan and how many scans did you get in total from CUMH?
    Just trying to weigh up my own options so would love to hear your feed back on CUMH. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

pooch90 wrote: »
    AFAIK they are now offering the anomaly(anatomy) scans to most patients regardless of scheme, both myself and my best friend got one through public. Whether public or private, CUMH will be a great place for you and bubs.

I ain't getting the anomaly scan in CUMH (public patient) which I am disgusted about; I am 38 yo first time pregnancy. Now someone did say I should have told them my father was a diabetic and they might do one for me but sure I have no contact with them until I meet the doc at 20 weeks...

dolly16 wrote: »
    Hi StarBright01  - Just wondering did you decide to go public in the end, how did u find it? Were you offered the 20 wk scan and how many scans did you get in total from CUMH?
    Just trying to weigh up my own options so would love to hear your feed back on CUMH. Thanks :)

Dolly
    I am going public and contacted my friend who only had a little baby; she said you only get 2 scans- 1 dating scan and the other is the term scan. you go into a hat for the 20 week scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dove2011 wrote: »
    you go into a hat for the 20 week scan.
    That is absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

Is there any plans to make the 20 wk scan a given in CUMH? I've signed so many petitions but wonder is there anything becoming of it all. I know they are understaffed, saw recently on the news some big investment wonder will this bring changes to the area

Can't see it happening on my time anyway- gutted and annoyed. this is suppose to be a new maternity hospital- in the news this week celebrating their 10th birthday but look sure we wont bother given everyone 20 week scan they will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can you pay for the anomaly scan if public?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mommabear

Can you go public but then pay for anomaly scan?

• Advertisement

Mommabear wrote: »
    Can you go public but then pay for anomaly scan?
    You can book a private clinic to get the scan- one in Ballincollig the other one across from the hospital.

I checked the one in Wilton, cost €200 and can only do it on a Tuesday.

Advertisement