Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Repair Help!

Options
  • 10-04-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Around a year ago my Acer Aspire 6920g laptop kept cutting out (Windows 8). No warning, no shutdown, power just gone. I replaced it with a cheap Asus which has been grand but I want to resurrect the 6920g!

I now have a bit more time on my hands so I booted it up today. I have booted into the Bios to see if it would cut out due to over heating, but it has been on over 3.5 hours and no issues.

One thing, in the Bios the serial no. is 12345678901234567, also the UUID No. is 01010101010101010101010101010101? Would this cause windows to suddenly die? Some sort of a software conflic

I now plan to boot into Windows, so what tools do I need to download to test the memory, harddrive, temperature etc?

I can see this being an ongoing thread until I get to the root of the problem so any advice/help is really appreciated!

Thanks,

Branners
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Mem86 for memory test windows has one built in not sure the f# key on boot to use. Try booting into safe mode to see if you can get machine working.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Sudden power loss problems are likely a defective fan or blocked fan, dust grime etc. leading to overheat
    Also Its easiest to thing to check.

Just because it works in BIOS does not tell much as BIOS requires far less system resources than the OS when loaded
    less resources = less heat.

Always place laptop on flat surface in use.
    First check that fan is working put your hand under it and feel airflow
    Switch off remove battery
    remove half a dozen screws on back assess panel
    You have now full access to fan you can remove dust dirt and check its spinning.

I would check the fan first also check any other vents and make sure clear.
    Disassembly video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I ran the Memtest and it passed no problems.

I checked the fan and it is clear, as are the vents. This is the first thing I cleared when it first started doing it.

I took out the hard drive and ran a diagnostic tool and it passed, I then managed to install Windows 7 on the freshly formatted hard drive. It cut out once but I removed the battery and had it running off the mains. But once I tried to load Windows 7 it cut out, I then put the battery back in and removed the mains and it behaved for a bit then cut out again.

I have had it sitting in Windows 7 Safe Mode for an hour no problems but when I tried to install Ubuntu from usb key it cut out again.

So to me it is definitely a hardware problem but I cant manage to pin point exactly when it cuts out so as to determine what is causing it! Can you get a tool to test the processor? Would it be possible that when the second core is being used it cuts out?

Head is melted at this stage! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Is laptop getting hot try hwmonitor this is free download and can check temp of laptop see what temps are. If processor gets too hot then laptop may shutdown. If fan is working then maybe new thermal paste needs putting on processor and or GPU if necessary

I installed speccy which gives the various temps and nothing looked too bad!

I have a feeling it might be a battery/power supply issue. I might pick up new ones and see how it gets on. Anyone know of a shop on the Northside of Dublin who would let me try before I buy?

After that I might replace the paste!

So far I think I have ruled out the hard drive, memory, motherboard and software.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You havent really ruled out the mobo. The power control circuits are part of that.

Run Prime95 for 4hrs. If the CPU is the issue it'll crash and if cooling is a problem it'll overheat and automatically halt.

If it really is a power issue and happens on battery and on AC then the power supply circuitry may be f'cked and its probably for the bin.

ED E wrote: »
    You havent really ruled out the mobo. The power control circuits are part of that.

Run Prime95 for 4hrs. If the CPU is the issue it'll crash and if cooling is a problem it'll overheat and automatically halt.

If it really is a power issue and happens on battery and on AC then the power supply circuitry may be f'cked and its probably for the bin.

I will run Prime95 now, can I run it in Safe mode?

Could these symptoms be because I didnt buy an Acer battery or power supply when I changed them. I have heard of manufacturers (Dell) making life difficult for people who didnt buy OEM parts!

branners69 wrote: »
    I installed speccy which gives the various temps and nothing looked too bad!

I have a feeling it might be a battery/power supply issue. I might pick up new ones and see how it gets on. Anyone know of a shop on the Northside of Dublin who would let me try before I buy?

After that I might replace the paste!

So far I think I have ruled out the hard drive, memory, motherboard and software.

Thanks for the advice.

memtest is not 100% especially with an intermittent issue , This laptop has two RAM
    modules correct?. You can access RAM modules right behind main access panel
    Try booting with each module individual.
    RAM module A + B = issue
    Ram A = ?
    RAM B = ?

unlikely defective RAM module this but its easy to check,

I ran the Memtest and it passed no problems.

I checked the fan and it is clear, as are the vents. This is the first thing I cleared when it first started doing it.

I took out the hard drive and ran a diagnostic tool and it passed, I then managed to install Windows 7 on the freshly formatted hard drive. It cut out once but I removed the battery and had it running off the mains. But once I tried to load Windows 7 it cut out, I then put the battery back in and removed the mains and it behaved for a bit then cut out again.

I have had it sitting in Windows 7 Safe Mode for an hour no problems but when I tried to install Ubuntu from usb key it cut out again.

So to me it is definitely a hardware problem but I cant manage to pin point exactly when it cuts out so as to determine what is causing it! Can you get a tool to test the processor? Would it be possible that when the second core is being used it cuts out?

Head is melted at this stage! :(

If it was working in safe mode that suggest possible software or malware problem.

what anti-virus/malware software have you on it?

Try running a full scan in safe mode

I will run Prime95 now, can I run it in Safe mode?

Could these symptoms be because I didnt buy an Acer battery or power supply when I changed them. I have heard of manufacturers (Dell) making life difficult for people who didnt buy OEM parts!

What are specs of replacement parts and compare them to specs of machine on Internet.

• Advertisement

There are two modules (1gb + 2gb), I have tried swapping them around and leaving one out at a time but no change.

I have had Prime95 running in safe mode for hours no problem. I removed the battery so it can't be the power supply.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7, but I'll try running malware bytes on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adx

Use your ASUS to download a small Linux Distro, I recommend Simplicity. Use the downloaded iso file to create a bootable USB drive and boot from this to eliminate any probs with Windows OS or drivers, Simplicity is a complete operating system that loads into RAM, is very fast and will fit on a 1Gb USB.

Adx wrote: »
    Use your ASUS to download a small Linux Distro, I recommend Simplicity. Use the downloaded iso file to create a bootable USB drive and boot from this to eliminate any probs with Windows OS or drivers, Simplicity is a complete operating system that loads into RAM, is very fast and will fit on a 1Gb USB.

I tried to install Ubuntu Mate which is for laptops but it cut out when it was installing.

I will try Simplicity, thanks! Will be good to see if it loads into RAM without cutting out!

I tried to install Ubuntu Mate which is for laptops but it cut out when it was installing.

I will try Simplicity, thanks! Will be good to see if it loads into RAM without cutting out!

Tried it there and straight away once it starts to install it cuts out. I swopped the RAM around to see if that would help but it didnt. It cut out at the same place each time.

So what does that tell me, it runs for hours in Safe Mode off the mains but once I try anything when the full machine kicks in it cuts out.

Maybe I need to change the paste on the processor, it could be non existent and once it needs full power the processor forces the power to cut out?

Really appreciate all the advice.

Just ran a full scan there with Malwarebytes, as expected it didnt find anything!

Maybe it is time to drop it into a shop to see if they can repair it! Any idea how much they charge to look at it? I dont want to throw too much money at it!

if you think its overheating you can check your CPU temperature: use the free SpeedFan utility
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/desktop-pc/how-check-your-cpu-temperature-3465136/

Another thing you can try to is change the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU on motherboard and clean dust off heatsink
    If you look at video i posted in #3 you can see these at 4:50 when he/she takes off the heatsink connected to fan there is 3 chips
    easy to get at them for this model of laptop

You need to buy thermal paste and maybe cleaning alcohol as well ideally
    5-10 euros ,

read here ,.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-give-your-laptop-a-cooling-overhaul/
    lots of guides on youtube (different model)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD3AGwHKWp4

Speedfan wont run in safe mode and the laptop isnt on long enough to run when I boot normally! It barely gets past the Windows 7 boot screen at the moment on the mains!

I reckon the replacing the thermal paste is the next step, where is the best to buy it in town, Maplins or PC World? Or do them lads in the likes of the Ilac Centre who do repairs sell it?

Thanks again!

Keplar240B wrote: »
    What are specs of replacement parts and compare them to specs of machine on Internet.

So I replaced the thermal paste, no change! It looks like the power supply I have (which said was suitable for the 6920g!) is 19v 4.74A. Looking online it looks like the 6920g uses a 19v 3.42a power supply.

So next step is to pick one of them up! Does anyone know if one of the multi laptop power supplies would do the job? At least if it didnt fix my Acer problem I could use it with my Asus!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

if the PSU you have is 19v 4.74A is working OK it'll be fine for a machine wanting 19v 3.42a power supply.
    it can just supply more current (amps) than is required - but won't give it too much

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    if the PSU you have is 19v 4.74A is working OK it'll be fine for a machine wanting 19v 3.42a power supply.
    it can just supply more current (amps) than is required - but won't give it too much

Electricity wouldnt be my strong point, so there is no chance the power supply is providing too much juice which is triggering a safe guard forcing the laptop to immediately shut off?

The laptop wont shutdown when in the bios or in safe mode but seconds into selecting - start windows normally it shutdowns! Or if you try to install another OS. Funnily enough the laptop will get into windows in normal mode when it is on battery power. But it will eventually cut out.

I might try the thermal paste again, if you put on too much it can over heat the processor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

As long as the voltage is the same you are safe.
    Only need a small amount of thermal paste, say the size of a small pea.Check youtube for videos.

Advertisement