Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday cake bakery cork city

Options
  • 10-04-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

So it's my daughter's birthday, and u would like to get a cake made.

There is a bakery in the Blackpool shipping centre and the English market. Are these any good? Would you recommend another bakery in/around the city centre?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved to the Cork City forum, you're much more likely to get helpful replies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you looking for a novelty cake design, or something large and chocolatey with her name on it maybe?

Cakes by ruth down in the marina do stunning novelty children's cakes.
    https://www.facebook.com/CakesByRuth-161605986614/

Fitzpatricks in glountaune do big toblerone cakes and things like that. Very popular. They write the name on in icing if you tell them it's a birthday.

Cupcake cottage on anglesea street do great tasting buns.

Bitesize in midleton do gorgeous cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I would recommend Ross cafe and bakery by the silver key also does probably the best breakfast in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Crusty's in Douglas Court are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We've used Brackens on the old mallow road a few times and the cakes have been lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I would recommend Ross cafe and bakery by the silver key also does probably the best breakfast in Cork

I'd be on the fence with their cakes though. Very greasy doughnuts and scones like rocks. (Find their breakfast very greasy too tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I'd really recommend Scally's Supervalu in Blackrock (on Skehard road). We always get birthday cakes there and they always do a fantastic job. They're very flexible and accommodating within reason to requests.

Prices usually about 8.99/9.99 upwards depending on size and decoration for sponge cake with a type of icing. I don't know if they do novelty cakes (should you be looking for them), we've never asked for them ourselves but they did accommodate a request we had for carrot cake as a birthday cake and in or around a similar price to the usual birthday cakes that they do.

If you go up to the cake and deli area (which is in the door, straight ahead past the vegetables and breads and you're there) they usually have someone there; a word of warning it's a busy popular deli at lunchtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

If you're willing to travel 20 minutes to Cobh it will be well worth the spin. www.facebook.com/Heidis-458340030965740 Heidis Bakery in Cobh have people coming from all over for their novelty Cakes.

Just have a look at some of the examples on their Facebook page.

And a very important thing is that they not only look spectacular but they taste even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Num-A-Nums-Cakes/992602460767505

I've gotten several cakes from these girls! Top class the chocolate biscuit cake is unreal too

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Another vote for Ruth's in Marina Business park. Custom cakes look great and taste great.

Cakes from Ross's aren't a patch on them imo.

Haven't tried any of the other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Another vote for Ruths at the marina, very accommodating and will even deliver the cake to the venue if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Hassets bakery are excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Footoo wrote: »
    Another vote for Ruth's in Marina Business park. Custom cakes look great and taste great.

Cakes from Ross's aren't a patch on them imo.

Haven't tried any of the other places.

Must check them out. I worked in the Marina for 5 years aside from the place flooding regularly it's not a place you'd associate with fine cuisine that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

was gonna start a thread just like this - also looking for someone who makes bespoke cakes for a special occasion.. I know there small operators out there.. any recent recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

sporina wrote: »
    was gonna start a thread just like this - also looking for someone who makes bespoke cakes for a special occasion.. I know there small operators out there.. any recent recommendations?

Recommend Healys bakery Blackpool

http://healyscelebrationcakes.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

chickey wrote: »

Got our wedding cake here, so another vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Heaven's Cakes in the English Market do occasion cakes too. Their cakes are absolutely delicious.

kingtut wrote: »
    Another vote for Ruths at the marina, very accommodating and will even deliver the cake to the venue if required.

sent her and email and no reply yet
    been onto Healy's.. gonna contact Hassett's too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

chickey wrote: »

Recently got a birthday cake here. Looked nice but didn't taste great.

Recently got a birthday cake here. Looked nice but didn't taste great.

really? they have been around for Donkeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

really? they have been around for Donkeys

I'm sure they have but the filling in the cake I ordered wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Lee Rourke Cakes in Blackrock! They can do just about anything and they also deliver ����

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Trace of Cakes in Ballincollig does some class work .

I'm sure they have but the filling in the cake I ordered wasn't great.

what did you ask for? what did you get? did you talk to them about it afterwards?

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Lee Rourke Cakes in Blackrock! They can do just about anything and they also deliver ����

Lee made my cake for my birthday last weekend - twas absolutely class... and what a lady to work with - perfect... and she even delivered it to the venue to ensure that it would arrive in top condition.. thanks a million for the recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Lee made my cake for my birthday last weekend - twas absolutely class... and what a lady to work with - perfect... and she even delivered it to the venue to ensure that it would arrive in top condition.. thanks a million for the recommendation

We used Lee for our wedding cake, really good service and a fantastic cake. She even went into small details like hair colour for the bridal party and put glasses on the best man. We got married 3 days after Christmas so not the easiest time of the year to be getting so much detail done on the decorating.
    She ran a little late with it so delivered it to the venue for us on the morning of the wedding so we weren't rushing. I think she had young kids at the time so the added details at Christmas time were not really expected but very much appreciated.
    The cake itself was delicious, we ended up deep freezing the bottom layer and using it as a christening cake 18 months later and it was still lovely.

.red. wrote: »
    We used Lee for our wedding cake, really good service and a fantastic cake. She even went into small details like hair colour for the bridal party and put glasses on the best man. We got married 3 days after Christmas so not the easiest time of the year to be getting so much detail done on the decorating.
    She ran a little late with it so delivered it to the venue for us on the morning of the wedding so we weren't rushing. I think she had young kids at the time so the added details at Christmas time were not really expected but very much appreciated.
    The cake itself was delicious, we ended up deep freezing the bottom layer and using it as a christening cake 18 months later and it was still lovely.

oh wow that was a fab idea.. yeah i have some of it in the freezer to take home to some family who could not make it to the party.. the detail on my cake was unreal.. it was a hiking themed cake and it looked identical to me on a mountain... right down to the colour of my coat, neck scarf, hair, hiking poles and backpack etc.. 1st class job..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

oh wow that was a fab idea.. yeah i have some of it in the freezer to take home to some family who could not make it to the party.. the detail on my cake was unreal.. it was a hiking themed cake and it looked identical to me on a mountain... right down to the colour of my coat, neck scarf, hair, hiking poles and backpack etc.. 1st class job..

The icing was a bit battered from being thrown around in the freezer. An in-law removed the icing and re did so it looked like a freshly made cake. Some people didn't believe it was well over a year old and had been defrosted.
    I'd happily recommend Lee for any occasion. Really friendly and bubble lady too.

.red. wrote: »
    The icing was a bit battered from being thrown around in the freezer. An in-law removed the icing and re did so it looked like a freshly made cake. Some people didn't believe it was well over a year old and had been defrosted.
    I'd happily recommend Lee for any occasion. Really friendly and bubble lady too.

i have mine wrapped in cling film and lots of tin foil so it should be ok - i hope.

fab lady and soo easy to liaise with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Is the cake gay or straight?

Advertisement