Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi chicken style pieces and sausages

Options
  • 10-04-2016 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

In case anyone hadn't seen these, they are both available from Aldi for €1.99 each in the freezer "meat" section. :confused:
    I saw an earlier post re the mince, and these seem to be a new and welcome addition.

The chicken style pieces contain;
    Rehydrated soya protein, soya protein isolate, rapeseed oil, potato flakes, free range egg white powder and flavourings.

They are by far the nicest type of this kind of product I have tried, made a smashing "chicken" tikka masala with them yesterday, a nice change from using tofu or paneer for that dish.
    The sausages are nice too, best done in the oven. They puff up a bit and deflate slightly after, but a decent taste (Lincolnshire) and maybe nice with a fried egg and some beans.

I do hope this is a regular thing with Aldi, I made sure to mention at the checkout how nice it was to see some veggie products in. I won't use Quorn at all despite its attempt to take over the world so this would make my life a lot easier if they continue to stock it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

What brand is this? Is it an aldi brand? They had Linda McCarthy products in a few weeks back but they were only sold for a temporary time. I was really disappointed to see them go. In my local aldi, the only veggie products they stock is Quorn mince and own brand veggie burgers (I'm particularly fond of their spicy bean burger).

Can I ask why you don't use Quorn?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

I meant to say it's Mae's kitchen brand, as per the earlier thread about the mince.
    I have also seen the LMC items you mentioned on a weekly special in there too, but don't forget that Dunnes (at least in Blanchardstown SC) sell LMC products too - in among the Quorn.

I don't use quorn myself because it's such an unnatural product, a soil mould called Fusarium venenatum grown in egg white in ginormous oxygenated vats.
    I know the soya products that I buy are far from their natural state but I'm happy with them and everyone else can have as much quorn as they like :>)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

IndigoBlue wrote: »
    In case anyone hadn't seen these, they are both available from Aldi for €1.99 each in the freezer "meat" section. :confused:
    I saw an earlier post re the mince, and these seem to be a new and welcome addition.

The chicken style pieces contain;
    Rehydrated soya protein, soya protein isolate, rapeseed oil, potato flakes, free range egg white powder and flavourings.

They are by far the nicest type of this kind of product I have tried, made a smashing "chicken" tikka masala with them yesterday, a nice change from using tofu or paneer for that dish.
    The sausages are nice too, best done in the oven. They puff up a bit and deflate slightly after, but a decent taste (Lincolnshire) and maybe nice with a fried egg and some beans.

I do hope this is a regular thing with Aldi, I made sure to mention at the checkout how nice it was to see some veggie products in. I won't use Quorn at all despite its attempt to take over the world so this would make my life a lot easier if they continue to stock it.

Just tried this last week and yes, very tasty! Much nicer than Quorn. I got the cube pieces but will go back and get the sausages soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I found the shape (cubes, smaller than you'd cut an actual chicken breast to) and texture once cooked in a curry of the chicken-style pieces rather unappetising. I suspect the latter problem might be fixable by frying them off first but I'd have to nearly force myself to try them again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Savvy student

Sadly, I couldn't find this product last weekend but I'm going to a different Aldi this weekend so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Maxthedm

I've tried the chicken pieces and the mince, and I actually can't stand the taste of the pieces. Texture's fine, and my OH (omnivore) likes them, but I just can't eat them unfortunately.
    The mince is lovely though! Much better texture and taste than any other veggie mince I've had so I'll definitely be getting that again.

Advertisement