Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map any key on keyboard as a Left Mouse Button Click?

Options
  • 10-04-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hello, just got a new laptop and its got one of these newer all in one trackpad things with the bottom left and right mouse click buttons built in, hate it, cannot seem to get on with it and dont reckon I ever will, but then again i dont want to be using a plug in USB external mouse either. I used to get on fine with the old (normal) type mousepad with seperate left and right click buttons at the bottom of the pad.

So what I was thinking is what if some clever person or developer has come up with a program where by you can assign or map a left click mouse button action to either the windows key or fn key or CTRL key on the keyboard, this would be ideal for someone like me - went searching on Google, can only find details on the disabled access of using a numerical keypad as mouse cursor and click keys, well my little laptop hasnt got a numerical keypad and in any case if I want to use it as a left key I want it on the left hand side of the keyboard not the right.

So does anyone know of a program out there to map Windows keyboard key to perform it to do something else - I kind of remember years ago coming across such a program when i wanted to assign keys on the keyboard to adjust the speaker volume up and down so I sort of like know it can be done but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it or who made it.

Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a different laptop. Its by far the better solution.

Alternatively, bluetooth mouse, no USB receiver, no cables, super convenient.

If you really really want to do it watch this though:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I used sharpkeys for Windows 10, very easy to set up. Not certain that it will do what you need but I think it might.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If your laptop has a keypad then use Mousekeys built into windows,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

If your laptop has a keypad then use Mousekeys built into windows,

no thats what I was saying in OP that my little laptop has no separate number pad

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I used sharpkeys for Windows 10, very easy to set up. Not certain that it will do what you need but I think it might.

that looks nearly like what I am looking for - I can map the windows key ... but when I try to replace the Windows key with left mouse click, i cant :( - seems you can only map keys in that app, not mouse buttons, what a shame - i might try contacting the developer see what they say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no thats what I was saying in OP that my little laptop has no separate number pad
    missed that, besides it's a workaround that might suit others
    that looks nearly like what I am looking for - I can map the windows key ... but when I try to replace the Windows key with left mouse click, i cant :(
    is it possible to map the windows key to the numeric key pad and then use mousekeys ? All depends on if they are changing the character or the scan code.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

hello, just got a new laptop and its got one of these newer all in one trackpad things with the bottom left and right mouse click buttons built in, hate it, cannot seem to get on with it and dont reckon I ever will, but then again i dont want to be using a plug in USB external mouse either. I used to get on fine with the old (normal) type mousepad with seperate left and right click buttons at the bottom of the pad.

So what I was thinking is what if some clever person or developer has come up with a program where by you can assign or map a left click mouse button action to either the windows key or fn key or CTRL key on the keyboard, this would be ideal for someone like me - went searching on Google, can only find details on the disabled access of using a numerical keypad as mouse cursor and click keys, well my little laptop hasnt got a numerical keypad and in any case if I want to use it as a left key I want it on the left hand side of the keyboard not the right.

So does anyone know of a program out there to map Windows keyboard key to perform it to do something else - I kind of remember years ago coming across such a program when i wanted to assign keys on the keyboard to adjust the speaker volume up and down so I sort of like know it can be done but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it or who made it.

Thanks for any suggestions

Autohotkey is ideal for this. I use it for all sorts, especially handy for mapping keys to mouse buttons as certain games-especially console ports limit or don't allow certain keys to be remapped.

Easy to use and loads of existing scripts to tweak as well.

glynf wrote: »
    Autohotkey is ideal for this. I use it for all sorts, especially handy for mapping keys to mouse buttons as certain games-especially console ports limit or don't allow certain keys to be remapped.

Easy to use and loads of existing scripts to tweak as well.

Thanks, have downloaded autohotkey app, now trying to figure out how to do the script shortcut thing on the desktop - even after reading the help I am still having trouble grasping what I am supposed to write in the script

If you want to map left mouse to control button you want to write something like this:

LButton::Control

1. Right-Click on your desktop.
    2. Find "New" in the menu.
    3. Click "AutoHotkey Script" inside the "New" menu.
    4. Give the script a new name. Note: It must end with a .ahk extension. Ex. MyScript.ahk
    5. Find the newly created file on your desktop and Right-Click it.
    6. Click "Edit Script".
    7. A window should have popped up, paste in LButton::Control

8. Save the File.
    9. Double-Click the file/icon in the desktop to run it.

There are lists of all keys & buttons here:

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

Give a look here for remapping keys:

https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm

glynf wrote:
    1. Right-Click on your desktop. 2. Find "New" in the menu. 3. Click "AutoHotkey Script" inside the "New" menu. 4. Give the script a new name. Note: It must end with a .ahk extension. Ex. MyScript.ahk 5. Find the newly created file on your desktop and Right-Click it. 6. Click "Edit Script". 7. A window should have popped up, paste in LButton::Control 8. Save the File. 9. Double-Click the file/icon in the desktop to run it.

glynf wrote:
    If you want to map left mouse to control button you want to write something like this:

Thanks very much, I do believe its working. Instead I wrote Control::LButton and now my left ctrl button on the keyboard is acting like a left mouse click when I press it, brilliant! ..... now all I have to do is re-train / get out of the habit of pressing the trackpad now!

• Advertisement

Good stuff, glad you sorted it. Useful bit of software, can do macros as well.

Good stuff, glad you sorted it. Useful bit of software, can do macros as well.

hmm, got my first annoyance today of that app, every now and again it keeps popping up a window telling me how many times autohotkeys has activated and do I want to carry on using it, and to press yes, I have to go back to use trackpad mouse button to do that. :(

do you experience that with this program?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

tumblr_lfkgeu7MJK1qa99qvo1_1280.jpg

hmm, got my first annoyance today of that app, every now and again it keeps popping up a window telling me how many times autohotkeys has activated and do I want to carry on using it, and to press yes, I have to go back to use trackpad mouse button to do that. :(

do you experience that with this program?

Never had that, maybe try their support forum.

Never had that, maybe try their support forum.

thanks will do, was just trying to save time - seeing if you had that problem too and had a fix cheers

Advertisement