Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brett 686E vs Miroku MK70 grade 1

Options
  • 10-04-2016 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get back into shooting after about 15 years. I've held onto my license and own a o/u baikal which is well over 20 years old and well and truly used. I have been looking around online at so many guns and reviews that I'm now more confused than I was before I began.

I've went to a couple of local gunshops to look at what's availible and I've spotted a couple of guns. (My budget is max €900 and would rather shop locally than buy online.)The 1st one is a Miroku MK70 grade 1 with chokes, it's in very good condition and hasn't been used a lot but depending on trade in on my gun could be couple of hundred over my budget but it's a lovely gun. The second is a beretta 686E practically new condition,very little use also with chokes,nearly a 20 year old gun but very close to my budget. I'm hoping to do clay shooting and propably a bit of game but can't make up my mind on which to go for.

The 686E will probably need to have a gunstock extension for a proper fit whereas the Miroku seems to fit pretty good as it is. When I was looking at the beretta I picked up a Silma M70 and it seemed to fit me practically spot on and well within my budget plus a two year warranty and a new gun. I would greatly appreciate any advice or any recommendations as to what to buy. It would be great to buy a new gun but I'm hoping to hold onto gun for a long time and use it as an all rounder.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Both the Beretta and Miroku are excellent Sporters. The Wilma M70 I've not heard of but I have heard of a Silma, so maybe that's it. To be honest there is little between the Beretta and Miroku, the Miroku is effectively the same gun as Browning B525. If it was me I'd pick the one that; 1) In best condition, 2) fitted me best. By the sounds of things that'll be the Miroku. You'll have to shell out to bring the Beretta to your measure anyway so best spend the few extra euro now on a gun that fits from the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

Sorry useurowname I meant Silma, using my phone so typo, thanks for your reply. The Miroku is a lovely gun but is a fair bit over my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hobbies_left_ me_pennyless

I love miroku! Japanese steel and craftsmanship is unbeatable in its price range.

I was in a very similar situation to you in terms of budget and application. I look at a lot of up market second hand guns in fairly good condition at around the grand mark.

I call into a store to see a gun I had seen online and happened to see a Silma M80 30" sporter. I really liked it for size, it wasn't as pretty as the miroku's or beretta's but it seemed to fit me better.
    It came in at €850 which was will within budget.
    I spent nights trying to find reviews online but could find much, anything I did find was positive the general consensus was that it was a well made entry level Italian sporter!

I placed an order for one two weeks ago and I'm waiting for the paperwork to be processed.
    I will put put up some pictures when it arrives.

Hope this helps.

Pennyless

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

I love miroku! Japanese steel and craftsmanship is unbeatable in its price range.

I was in a very similar situation to you in terms of budget and application. I look at a lot of up market second hand guns in fairly good condition at around the grand mark.

I call into a store to see a gun I had seen online and happened to see a Silma M80 30" sporter. I really liked it for size, it wasn't as pretty as the miroku's or beretta's but it seemed to fit me better.
    It came in at €850 which was will within budget.
    I spent nights trying to find reviews online but could find much, anything I did find was positive the general consensus was that it was a well made entry level Italian sporter!

I placed an order for one two weeks ago and I'm waiting for the paperwork to be processed.
    I will put put up some pictures when it arrives.

Hope this helps.

Pennyless
    Thanks Penneyless for your reply,I'd like to know how you get on with the M80. Are you using it for clay and gaming ? I really liked the fit of M70 plus the fact that it's a new gun as well, I thought that the M80 was really only for clays rather than gaming and I haven't had the chance to actally see one of them in any of the gunshots I've been to. I'm going back Saturday to have a look at Miroku again and see can I get a few more quid off price other than that I think I'll seriously consider the M70 or if I can lay my hands on an M80 to have a look and a fit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hobbies_left_ me_pennyless

Im looking to shoot mostly clays with a bit of bird shooting aswell. Im fairly new to all of this but it is my understanding that a sporter is a bit of a jack of all trades. It has the the stock dimensions of a field gun but is a bit heavier for socking up recoil and withstanding the sustained rate of fire of clay shooting. The the barrels are usually vented to aid cooling and a few inches longer they are multi choked to allow for targets at different ranges. I could be wrong but I thing the only down side to a sporter is it feels a little heavier if you are carrying it around all day at a hunt.
    The fit of a trap gun is very different it aims high so you can see a rising clay above the barrel.

Hopefully some of the veterans here can give you some better advice.

I was really torn between a second hand Miroku mk60 with fixed 28" barrels, in the end buying new and the versatility of the 5 chokes tipped the balance for me. I don't thing you will be disappointed either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement