Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Observations on 548km trip 30kw

• 10-04-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

it turned out a bit of a marathon , Gorey, Dublin , mullingar , Athlone Portlaose, Kilkenny ,Waterford Gorey

Fast charged in Lucan , Athlone , kilbeggan , Kilkenny , Waterford

Realistic usage range is 120km from 90 % FCP typically leaving 30-35k remaining , that's a bit under expectations , but was consistent actions a range of roads and speeds ranging 80-110 kmph

FCP at 90% would typically show 170km , but 20km always disappeared inside the first few minutes.

Temp bars maxed at 7 , typically 6 and occasionally 5

Ambient outside ranges 3 degrees to 10 degrees over the trip. Conditions ranged from snow showers , very heavy downpours and sunshine , occasional wind

Total cost €1.40 plus copious teas and coffee ,1 tuna sandwich.

Comments

120 Kms with 30-35Kms left , nothing wrong with that + the faster charging of the 30 Kwh on the DC. Especially with the weather today.

That's some trip BoatMad. I haven't driven more than about 200 kms in the Leaf in one day in a year and 4 months.

+ with the 30 Kwh charging to 90 % is much faster than the 24 Kwh ! Which is painfully slow after 80%.

It will be interesting to see how hot that battery gets in Summer but after 548 kms and 4 DC that's not bad, I was expecting a lot higher , it did seem initially that the battery was warming up a lot faster than the 24 Kwh on the DC. Maybe it is, as I said I never drove this distance in the 24 Kwh but doesn't seem bad so far.

If I go on a long trip we take the diesel, not because I want to but because my partner doesn't want to charge and for the very few trips a year we now take above 200 kms I don't really care if it keeps the peace + the larger boot in the Cee'd estate is really handy.

Indeed that 30 Kwh battery seems a really good improvement !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

This morning we did a total of 320km to Galway and back with 4 FCs and one SC from 75% to 100% midway on a 24kw Leaf SV. I could have avoided the 2nd FC but was not sure if I'd have enough. With 30kw battery would be much faster :)

peposhi wrote: »
    This morning we did a total of 320km to Galway and back with 4 FCs and one SC from 75% to 100% midway on a 24kw Leaf SV. I could have avoided the 2nd FC but was not sure if I'd have enough. With 30kw battery would be much faster :)

You bought in 2015 didn't you ? same as me, in that case unless you really need/want the extra range and faster DC cahrging I would save the money for the Gen II or whatever else is around in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yes the trip was interesting ( we have 2161km on the car after 8 days !) as it demonstrated that long single day journeys are entirely practical

The 30kw Seems to charge to 90% very fast indeed and has a much more agressive taper. Going to 95 even 100% in under 30 minutes

Battery heating does not seem to be a problem as I said we had 5 fcps with Max periods of 30-40 mins at three locations where the car was off

I was well pleased , charging breaks coincided with normal drinking breaks any way ( I would tend to stop for a break every 100-140 km anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

€ 1.40 you say hmmmm

Definitely a temptation for incidental costs and weight to increase with additional , coffees croissants , hot chocolate where and extra 15 or 20 would be spent on a journey depending on how many occupants were in the car .

• Advertisement

Resist temptation, Bring a few sambos. :D

You bought in 2015 didn't you ? same as me, in that case unless you really need/want the extra range and faster DC cahrging I would save the money for the Gen II or whatever else is around in 2018.
    That little devil inside is like: I want, I want, I want lol... We will be OK with what we have, I am positive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes the trip was interesting ( we have 2161km on the car after 8 days !) as it demonstrated that long single day journeys are entirely practical

5 stops and an extra 3 hours or so would be not be considered practical by many

The 30kw Seems to charge to 90% very fast indeed and has a much more agressive taper. Going to 95 even 100% in under 30 minutes

Battery heating does not seem to be a problem as I said we had 5 fcps with Max periods of 30-40 mins at three locations where the car was off

I was well pleased , charging breaks coincided with normal drinking breaks any way ( I would tend to stop for a break every 100-140 km anyway

Great distance covered already! Even at 1500 a week you will be above 150k in two years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ted, great market idea. Set up coffee dispensers next to the chargers.
    €2.50 a pop.
    Don't complain, think positive and how you might 'skin the cat'.

Otherwise well have to lobby Nissan and Tesla to put a coffee maker in the car and link the interactive screen to Kindle to read while u wait!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭oinkely

I used the charge stops on my way home from Newcastle to get a bit of exercise. A few laps of the carpark while it is charging and you are refreshed and ready for the next leg, no tiredness or fatigue.

I would do the same if a charge was part of my everyday routine. However, seeing as my wife will not let me use the Leaf, pretty much since we got it, I'm stuck in my van, wishing for a Leaf of my own!

oinkely wrote: »
    I would do the same if a charge was part of my everyday routine. However, seeing as my wife will not let me use the Leaf, pretty much since we got it, I'm stuck in my van, wishing for a Leaf of my own!

Wow, I can't get my partner anywhere near the leaf. She'll take the diesel to drive 2 kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ever think of swopping, there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭oinkely

Water John wrote: »
    Ever think of swopping, there.

That's a whole other forum

ted1 wrote: »
    5 stops and an extra 3 hours or so would be not be considered practical by many

typically I stop at around 100 miles or less in the ICE. in later years often at 100-130 Km

three stops were full 20-25 minutes to 90% , one was for breakfast and one was for lunch , so that was not " lost time", The waterford one was a genuine wait of 25 minutes

two stops for just range anxiety boosters !, of about 10 minutes each ( kilkenny and Kilbeggan, approx as I didnt time it, really not much more then a bathroom stop ) ) , the car actually would have done waterford from Kilbeggan, ( Just)

so in reality lost time was approx 45 minutes in a journey of 548Km, I would argue that most people would probably stop for more time on that sort of trip anyway

so nothing near 3 hours

Great distance covered already! Even at 1500 a week you will be above 150k in two years :)

yes that has crossed our minds :eek:, we've essentially combined two cars together in the leaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

it turned out a bit of a marathon , Gorey, Dublin , mullingar , Athlone Portlaose, Kilkenny ,Waterford Gorey

Fast charged in Lucan , Athlone , kilbeggan , Kilkenny , Waterford

Realistic usage range is 120km from 90 % FCP typically leaving 30-35k remaining , that's a bit under expectations , but was consistent actions a range of roads and speeds ranging 80-110 kmph

FCP at 90% would typically show 170km , but 20km always disappeared inside the first few minutes.

Temp bars maxed at 7 , typically 6 and occasionally 5

Ambient outside ranges 3 degrees to 10 degrees over the trip. Conditions ranged from snow showers , very heavy downpours and sunshine , occasional wind

Total cost €1.40 plus copious teas and coffee ,1 tuna sandwich.

I did a very similar trip distance wise over the weekend, albeit more motorway (cork - cellbridge) and it cost me 55 euro in petrol :o

I think my total was 495 kms and journey time was in around 4 hrs 40. So quicker obviously but jesus thats some saving! I think one it could be time to switch one of our cars to electric!

I finally discovered that if I do 80 kmph on the motorway the GOM finally agrees with the range I get !!!

yes that has crossed our minds :eek:, we've essentially combined two cars together in the leaf

LOL... Very similar thing happened at home. My wife at first was against buying the EV. Now she would hope into it first when going somewhere together so she could drive hahaha... The ICE is sitting lonely in the drive way and only gets used when the Leaf is not available. The leaf has now covered 85% of the total mileage between the two cars and the savings have fully covered the purchase cost of the car.

LOL... Very similar thing happened at home. My wife at first was against buying the EV. Now she would hope into it first when going somewhere together so she could drive hahaha... The ICE is sitting lonely in the drive way and only gets used when the Leaf is not available. The leaf has now covered 85% of the total mileage between the two cars and the savings have fully covered the purchase cost of the car.

That's it. I even got the ICE all valetted up and shiny , still sitting there !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement