Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not helping

Options
  • 10-04-2016 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

My freezer keeps defrosting all my food. My landlord is doing nothing about it. What do I do? Is there something I can do?

It's the second time since my lease started that this had happened. I told him the first time and asked him to remove the fridge, he didn't. He just brought a new one in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Maybe it's a problem with the wall socket? Unusual that the problem is happening with 2 different machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Maybe it's a problem with the wall socket? Unusual that the problem is happening with 2 different machines.

Integrated fridge/freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Maybe if you give a bit more information someone might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

So do you have two fridge freezers now? Has the new one had the same problem as the old one?

So do you have two fridge freezers now? Has the new one had the same problem as the old one?

He hasn't replaced the old one. It's a fridge freezer built in, fridge on top of freezer. Standard issue.

• Advertisement

The new one seems to be fine, but it's overcrowded

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The new one seems to be fine, but it's overcrowded

So it's just the old freezer that doesn't work, and the new one is fine?

I'm not seeing what your issue is if that's the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy less means more space....

Are settings correct.

Keep around middle setting higher if completely full.

He hasn't replaced the old one. It's a fridge freezer built in, fridge on top of freezer. Standard issue.

But the new one works fine? What's the particular issue you have with the landlord then?

Are you still using the broken freezer?

Stheno wrote: »
    So it's just the old freezer that doesn't work, and the new one is fine?

I'm not seeing what your issue is if that's the case?

The old one is still there. I have to use it because as I said, the other one is overcrowded. It has been defrosting my food, about a months worth to the amount of ~€20. I want to know what I can do about getting my landlord to replace the old fridge unit, which he has been asked to do but not complied with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The old one is still there. I have to use it because as I said, the other one is overcrowded. It has been defrosting my food, about a months worth to the amount of ~€20. I want to know what I can do about getting my landlord to replace the old fridge unit, which he has been asked to do but not complied with

Is the new freezer much smaller than the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is this shared accommodation?

ED E wrote: »
    Is this shared accommodation?

Yes, there's six of us.
    Is the new freezer much smaller than the old one?

About 75% the size.

Yes, there's six of us.

About 75% the size.

I'd say you have no basis in fact for getting the old freezer replaced.

The landlord has provided a replacement which while slightly smaller would meet with their obligations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You reported a faulty appliance and the landlord replaced it with a new one. The fact you continue to use the faulty appliance which you know to be faulty is stupid at best.

The landlord should have arranged for the faulty appliance to be removed but I'd be willing to guess you chose to keep it.

If you want an extra/bigger fridge freezer buy one yourself.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You reported a faulty appliance and the landlord replaced it with a new one. The fact you continue to use the faulty appliance which you know to be faulty is stupid at best.

The landlord should have arranged for the faulty appliance to be removed but I'd be willing to guess you chose to keep it.

They are probably using the fridge part of the fridge freezer?

They are probably using the fridge part of the fridge freezer?

Possibly but they can't have it every way.

Landlord would be well advised to remove it before another broken appliance report comes up.

No I didn't choose to keep it. I asked him to remove it, he didn't. Simple as that.

No I didn't choose to keep it. I asked him to remove it, he didn't. Simple as that.

Is the new freezer also a fridge freezer?

And when it wasn't removed, I assumed I had been repaired. Therefore, continued to use it

• Advertisement

Is the new freezer also a fridge freezer?

Yes.

Well then ask him again to remove it. The company that delivered thr new one should have taken it away. Possibly one of the other tennants kept it.

Removal is your only issue.

So you want the LL to provide two freezers?

Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

And when it wasn't removed, I assumed I had been repaired. Therefore, continued to use it

Why would the landlord replace and repair? Integrated units can be a pain to remove and I'm guessing the new one isn't the same dimensions so the landlord probably left the old one in place for aesthetics

Clearly you assumed wrong. Your problem unfortunately.

Yes.

Just stop using the old one then and buy less frozen food? A months worth of frozen food sounds excessive

The landlord has fulfilled his obligations in terms of providing a fridge and freezer

Why would a landlord buy a new fridge freezer if the old one was repaired?

To be honest, I'd suggest just not using the broken freezer. The landlord has fulfilled his legal minimum and defrosted food is covered by contents insurance.

As I've said, there's six of us. I assumed he had left the new one and repaired the old because it's an eight bed house, at the time I first informed him the house was full. It would have coped with the food needs of eight people using a freezer.

Well then ask him again to remove it. The company that delivered thr new one should have taken it away. Possibly one of the other tennants kept it.

Removal is your only issue.

If it's built into the kitchen it may not be that simple

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your help.

Advertisement