Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows updates issues - Win 7 laptop

• 10-04-2016 6:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Currently trying to install Windows updates on a Win 7 Home Premium laptop that hasn't had any updates in about 3 years. 98 and 12 others. The majority installed - I'm now left with 7 that don't seem to want to budge. I ran CCleaner and Disk Cleanup just in case, but space is fine.

I've tried manually downloading individual updates based on their kb number...the installer just sits there 'searching for updates on this computer', and nothing else has happened for the past hour or so. I've restarted and tried to start the process once again.

Some of the updates are:

kb2574819
    kb2830477
    kb3048761

Windows Defender is having issues updating too.

Any suggestions?

Comments

Currently trying to install Windows updates on a Win 7 Home Premium laptop that hasn't had any updates in about 3 years. 98 and 12 others. The majority installed - I'm now left with 7 that don't seem to want to budge. I ran CCleaner and Disk Cleanup just in case, but space is fine.

I've tried manually downloading individual updates based on their kb number...the installer just sits there 'searching for updates on this computer', and nothing else has happened for the past hour or so. I've restarted and tried to start the process once again.

Some of the updates are:

kb2574819
    kb2830477
    kb3048761

Windows Defender is having issues updating too.

Any suggestions?

Try stopping the Windows Update service and then install this one first:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/3102810

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, that installed OK and I restarted.

I tried to install some of the others (noted in the OP) as they were still in my Chrome downloads section. It said "This update is not applicable to your computer", so I presume I can ignore these, then?

I thought, following the restart, I'd need to stop Windows Update again through services.msc, so I did that. It doesn't seem to make any difference, but perhaps given the above I don't need to bother.

3/7 are drivers, the other 4 are Windows.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sometimes the Windows installer service stalls a bit and needs help. Try this:
    1) Open an administrative command prompt and type the following:
    net stop "windows update" & net stop BITS
    (This stops the Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service services)
    2) Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and rename the folder Download to Download.old.
    3) Go back to the administrative command prompt and type the following:
    net start "windows update" & net start BITS
    4) Check for updates again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for this. I gave it a shot running command prompt as administrator. It's saying 'downloading updates, 0%' for the past 20 minutes or so. Same as before.

No joy with this. Any other thoughts?

• Advertisement

Weird. Thought I got one update installed, restarted and now it's looking to install 101 updates, again. Wtf?

Got it sorted in the end. Really just 8-10 hours of letting it sit there...updating.

Advertisement