Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card authorisation hold and card cancelling

• 10-04-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hypothetical question and not looking for advice.

If I book a hotel ,which is non refundable, (booked by mistake because I'm a tool) and have not yet been charged but they have put a hold on the card for a fee and I then go and cancel my credit card account (i.e. close it). Can the hotel still charge me?

Same question if I lose the card rather than close the account and have to report it lost, will the hotel still be able to charge it?

J

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Yep, they can still charge you, and the bank are still entitled to come after you for that amount, plus any fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Spocker wrote: »
    Yep, they can still charge you, and the bank are still entitled to come after you for that amount, plus any fees

I see! And how long does a pre-auth last? the booking is for 2 months time, can they reserve an amount for that long? I presume if the reserve expires and I then cancel the card, there is no way they can charge a cancelled card for which they have no pre-authorisation anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Pre-auth lasts for about a week. They have the legal right to put the charge through for up to 6 months. Whether your card is cancelled or not, they can still charge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ok thanks guys, I just wanted to understand how this authorization works. No point in pursing this course of action for my hypothetical problem so!

Advertisement