Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lat pull downs

• 10-04-2016 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I think I'm doing them wrong even after years in the gym.
    When I was a teen I done behind the neck which I found I could really get good results from.

Now I'm pulling to the front and I just don't find it effect at all and I'm getting tennis elbow from it, why is it looked down upon to do behind the neck pull downs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Phil.x wrote: »
    why is it looked down upon to do behind the neck pull downs.

They put your shoulder in a pretty vulnerable position. It doesn't mean you'll get injured but you're increasing the risk of injury and there are better ways of getting the results you're looking for from it.

If you're not finding the pulldown effective have a look at your form. People have a habit of having too much weight on and turning it onto a row of some sort.

I would think so too... it's easy to put too much weight on and then you're leaning back to pull it down each time instead of keeping back straight and being strict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

bluewolf wrote: »
    I would think so too... it's easy to put too much weight on and then you're leaning back to pull it down each time instead of keeping back straight and being strict

I often find I put too much weight on(competitiveness, trying to keep up with others) and my form suffers after three/four reps, drop the weight a bit and am fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It might also be relevant that the gains made in the OP were in the OP's teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

For years I did them and got absolutely nothing out of them. Then I tried doing them thumb less and that was a game changer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

For years I did them and got absolutely nothing out of them. Then I tried doing them thumb less and that was a game changer!

I found the same - it had the effect of pointing my elbow behind my back, whereas when I use my thumbs my elbows point down towards my hips. Thumbless isolates my lats a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

discus wrote: »
    I found the same - it had the effect of pointing my elbow behind my back, whereas when I use my thumbs my elbows point down towards my hips. Thumbless isolates my lats a lot more.

I must give this a try.
    I'm not lifting too much on the pulldowns but I'm going to drop it down so i can do 15 reps per set.
    If my elbows are too far forward Maybe that's why I'm getting tennis elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How many diff attacemts do u have access to? I like to use a single arm attachment for single arm pulldowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i like the standing straight arm pulldown
    my lats get more out of it than the standard seated pulldown

https://youtu.be/wcVDItawocI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Ok so tonight I done pull downs with the wide grip bar (the bar with half circles on each end) and the normal type bar to the chest.

Done 15 reps on each set and used a narrower grip (still wider than shoulder with) on the normal bar.
    Pulled and contracted the back muscle and I really felt it working.
    I think I might do a set or two with every workout for a few weeks to get them muscles online.

Also no sore elbows!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement