Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite Doors v Munster Joinery doors

Options
  • 10-04-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

Does anyone have any opinion in relation to the difference between a composite/palladio door v Munster Joinery version of same. There is a big difference in price...always something that worries me.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wadpie

I don't know if MJ do more than one type of composite door, but the one I seen a couple of weeks ago was terrible. Frame was straight as a die. The door leaf was bowed. It was only a few months old as well. Not good. Have you seen the MJ ultra tech timber doors? They are amazing. If your going for composite. Palladio all the way. I fitted a lot of them. Made by profile developments in limerick. Apeer makes composite doors aswell, but I have no experience of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nedireland

Thanks Wadpie

How much do the composites cost and who would you recommend.

Regards MJ ultra tech....do these need to be painted

Thanks

It all depends on size, if it's a single door or does it have side panels. Colour options, glass design and additional door furniture will all effect the price. I don't know a great deal about the ultratech doors. They come painted, but couldn't tell you if it's a special paint or not. MJ have a few showrooms around the country, it would worth seeing them in person and asking the question. If you ring profile developments, they'll tell you who in your area installs them. They might have a showroom or be able to show you previously installed doors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Daughter got a Paladio Door last year. After a few months they couldn't lock the door. It had bowed by about 5 mm in the centre and was letting rainfall in on her new Timber Floor.
    In fairness to Paladio they sent an Engineer out to see the problem. He came back a few days later and changed the lock from a 2 point to a multipoint lock. This cured the problem as when the handle was pushed to lock, the cambers in the lock pulled the Door tight in the centre where to problem was.
    The problem as I see it with these door is that there essentially a Timber Door with a pvc cover. If the Timber decides to warp at all it can cause a problem.

sky6 wrote:
    Daughter got a Paladio Door last year. After a few months they couldn't lock the door. It had bowed by about 5 mm in the centre and was letting rainfall in on her new Timber Floor. In fairness to Paladio they sent an Engineer out to see the problem. He came back a few days later and changed the lock from a 2 point to a multipoint lock. This cured the problem as when the handle was pushed to lock, the cambers in the lock pulled the Door tight in the centre where to problem was. The problem as I see it with these door is that there essentially a Timber Door with a pvc cover. If the Timber decides to warp at all it can cause a problem.

The Palladio door is made from grp. There is timber along the edges alright. This is only so the lock and hinges have something to be fixed to. It's hollow honey comb structure inside. The grp and structure make them really strong and have a really low u value. Couldn't imagine the door slab bowing. The frame would be made from pvc. They would have reinforcing internally, to prevent it from bowing. I'd imagine if it was anything though, it would be the frame that gave you bother. But I've no reason to doubt you.

• Advertisement

Thanks Wadpie

Sky6...are u sure it was palladio?? They come with 8.point locking system. Maybe if was the munster composite door. That one I have seen/heard to bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

We got a Palladio door in before Christmas. Very happy with it. Apeer have a very good rep also, but tend to be high end.

Personally I'd avoid a timber door, regardless of what sales persons tell you there will be maintenance required.

budhabob wrote: »
    We got a Palladio door in before Christmas. Very happy with it. Apeer have a very good rep also, but tend to be high end.

Personally I'd avoid a timber door, regardless of what sales persons tell you there will be maintenance required.

Who did you get it from Budhabob

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Got a Palladio door ourselves last August. Not really any comparison with a traditional wooden door tbh, the composite door feels like a vault door in comparison. We're very happy with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Where are you based OP?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Got a Palladio door ourselves last August. Not really any comparison with a traditional wooden door tbh, the composite door feels like a vault door in comparison. We're very happy with it.

Where did you get it seamus?

beertons wrote: »
    Where are you based OP?

Cork based

Wadpie wrote: »
    The Palladio door is made from grp. There is timber along the edges alright. This is only so the lock and hinges have something to be fixed to. It's hollow honey comb structure inside. The grp and structure make them really strong and have a really low u value. Couldn't imagine the door slab bowing. The frame would be made from pvc. They would have reinforcing internally, to prevent it from bowing. I'd imagine if it was anything though, it would be the frame that gave you bother. But I've no reason to doubt you.

You could be right in the make up of the Door. I just assumed it was all timer inside because that's all I seen when he took the lock out.
    It was definitely the Door because he put a steel straight Edge along the door Style and you could see the bow of about 5 mm in it. The Frame was perfect.
    As I said the new lock seems to have cured it.

So what is this Grp is it styro foam or something similar ?

nedireland wrote: »
    Thanks Wadpie

Sky6...are u sure it was palladio?? They come with 8.point locking system. Maybe if was the munster composite door. That one I have seen/heard to bow.

Yes I'm pretty certain as that's what her Husband was talking about getting and he was showing me the Brochures beforehand. I also know it was expensive.

I'll check with him later to confirm and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Have a Palladio door too, very happy with it.

I've Munster doors at the back of the house and they were a disgrace from day one. Wrong order placed, held up builders (and our moving in date), chunks out of the door, two needed to be replaced, key they supplied broke in the lock 5 minutes after the builders left. Quality of the finish is crap, screws fell out of the doors.. I could go on. They're hugely popular in Ireland and I don't know if it's down to price or speed at which they churn out doors but I'd never use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Where did you get it seamus?
    Blackrock windows in Dublin, probably not much use to you. Got a good deal on replacing all the windows at the front as well as the door.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cork based

Might be a bit far away, but have a look at Grady Joinery. I was going between them and MJ. While MJ were cheaper, my gut feeling was not to skimp on the door.

sky6 wrote:
    So what is this Grp is it styro foam or something similar ?

Grp is glass reinforced plastic. Its super strong. Couldn't be further from Styrofoam. There's a video on YouTube of it being tested against a battering ram. Not a budge out of it

Thanks Wadpie. I never heard of Grp sound like good stuff.

I also checked with my son in law and it definitely is a Paladio Door he bought. He's still not happy with it as he said his wife and son have difficulty opening it. and he said if he's carrying something he has to put it down to open the Door.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatslife

I'm looking for a front door at the minute also for a new build.
    The comparison table below was sent to me by a guy I priced.
    He thinks the Paladio door is best on the market. Going by this thread everyovne seems reasonably happy expect for one.
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I havent seen one yet, Do they look plasticky? How do they feel to use after time? Do they weather at all?[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Composite Door Brand[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Slab[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Locking[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Rebate[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Glazing[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Core[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]DSI (as website)[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]44mm[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]4 point[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Single[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Double (some triple options)[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Foam[/font]