Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizing a Hydration Pack for Urban Ultras

Options
  • 10-04-2016 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Have my first 100 miler coming up in the summer, so my question is assuming we have a watering station every 10-15 miles, is there a) any need for a hydration pack at all and b) if a) is Yes, what capacity. I am thinking a 7 -10 litre is fine.

This is an urban event, not trail, so no need for extra space for lights, extra jacket, etc.

I love the Oxsitis ones: http://www.oxsitis.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

7-10 litres is a lot! Besides water, what do you need to carry with you? How much do you think you'll need to drink every 10-15 miles?

I'd have thought a minimal vest would be the way to go, use front mounted soft bottles to save taking the pack off and faffing with a bladder at every water station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks. Good insight. I settled on an Oxsitis belt with bottles. You're right about carrying all that water!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Good move. Bigger the pack, the more unnecessary stuff you'll end up carrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Is that pack not a 7-10 ltr pack which would take a 1l bladder internally?

LGK is right for quick reloads at an aid station front mounted bottle holders will be ideal. The pack like that is great for carrying occasional kit like rainwear and extra socks.

That Oxistis Pulse 7 is a nice looking pack with plenty of storage on the front judging by the photos. Not too dissimilar to the Hoka Evo packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

sconhome wrote: »

That Oxistis Pulse 7 is a nice looking pack with plenty of storage on the front judging by the photos. Not too dissimilar to the Hoka Evo packs.

The Hoka One One packs are Oxsistis packs with different branding and without the bladders and extras.

Review of latter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqXwKQ328RM

• Advertisement
Advertisement