Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's everyone been up to?

• 10-04-2016 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32

What's everyone been up to?!

There hasn't been many work in progress posts lately, and I know I need the inspiration! (Its been 4 years now since i finished a big project :pac:) Anything, big, small, ideas you had.. I'd love to hear about it.

Also as an aside, has the conversation that used to be here and on gamedevelopers.ie moved somewhere? It feels like the community used to be really busy a few years ago, but now there's only a post or two every month or so :/.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Finding it very difficult to make any progress these days, purely from a motivational standpoint. I got really excited about amazon's new engine but couldn't get the blasted thing to run properly on my laptop. Has pretty much knocked my interest out until I get a new machine. Which won't happen till next year with the wedding :D

Haven't been keeping track of gamedevelopers the last while, but I agree, the indie scene has dropped a bit. To be fair, during the last General Election, there was great talk about Ireland as the next game hub, but we've made a lot of mistakes and precious little else since. I think you need to be actively developing to get conversation flowing, otherwise the talk tends to be a bit too ambitious and unrealistic. The last thread in here is what I'd love to have seen more of to be honest. Someone looking for advice and someone genuinely talented answering the question with sample code.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

oisincar wrote: »
    Also as an aside, has the conversation that used to be here and on gamedevelopers.ie moved somewhere? It feels like the community used to be really busy a few years ago, but now there's only a post or two every month or so :/.

The most central place for discussion is on the Irish Game Dev facebook group and then at DubLudo events - the facebook group has 1600 members or thereabouts. Not sure the community on here ever really was that busy in terms of actual development on games that would see the light of day but there's a good bit of work going on in Dublin and Galway with some really good looking games in the works. Few announcements made recently about what's happening in Galway and they have started running their own meetup events there at a larger scale so the scene is definitely busy, and conversation is happening, just not so much on boards or gamedevelopers.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 oisincar

Ooh, assuming that's your wedding, congrats! To be honest I'm not sure the general election has much of an effect on anything but.. Maybe i'm just a cynic, heh.

Cry-engine might be worth a try on your computer, it's exactly the same as amazon's engine under the hood, but it's older and i'd say it's got far better support. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Ooh, I just joined the facebook group. It IS busy over there... Actually I recognise some old usernames too. Cool, thanks!

Advertisement