Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preschool in Ireland

Options
  • 11-04-2016 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My family is relocating to Navan at the end of April and we have a three and a half year old. I am a stay at home mum for now, but looking to find work when she's older. I know that kids can start school anytime between 4 and 6, and we will probably start her the September after she turns 5. My question is this:

Is preschool something that helps kids in the youngest classes or is it sort of not required? I don't know as we will have the funds to pay for a pricey pre-school, but I don't want her to be weirdly behind other kids if she's at home with me.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a scheme in place called The ECCE scheme. You are entitled to 2 years free pre-school from Sept.
    Places maybe very limited so contact your local pre-schools.

"Eligible age range. In general, children are eligible for the ECCE scheme if they are aged between 3 years 2 months and 4 years 7 months on 1 September of the year that they will be starting"
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/early_childhood_care_and_education_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hyphy

Wow, that is very cool. Thank you for the information, I will follow up on that. This is available to her even though we won't be citizens yet? We plan on following the path to naturalization, but we obviously won't be there yet by September time.

I will follow up on this when I get to Navan and see what I can find out from preschools in my area. Thanks so much!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it might be worth contacting them now.
    Currently kids get one year but in September it is changing and Demand > Supply.

I did send one place an email last night, they are right next to our apartment, but they didn't get back to me. It would be wonderful if I could get her into a place so close. I will just keep checking around until I get there. Thank you for the info! I will keep on it.

What month is the child's birthday?

• Advertisement

She will be 4 in July.

So Pre-school is Sept and Primary school in September 2017.
    You should probably contact the local primary schools asking for a copy of their enrollment policies and put her name down.

Advertisement