Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to teaching advice

Options
  • 11-04-2016 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi!
    I completed my hdip in 2010 in English and Histoy but have been working as an instrument teacher ever since and would like to get back into secondary teaching. Would anyone have any advice of jobs websites, registering with the teaching council, interview prep?

Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 abra1

Im kind of similar - I qualified abroad c. 15 years ago and bit the bullet and registered in Ireland last year. Yes, step One contact teaching council - you'll need to get your qualifications assessed and pay fees to register. It can be a lengthy process but if you start now you might be up and running for September.
    It is def the best thing ive ever done. I think if you look hard enough there is work out there. Iv been subbing steadily and there are plenty of contracts out there. Ok, yes the prospect of a full time permanent position is a myth but tbh, you dont have that security in the private sector either. I just count myself lucky to be working and getting paid for such an enjoyable job. Go for it. Between exams and correcting work you can nearly stretch out enough work for the year.
    HAving said all of that, our household relies on my husbands wage and if i earn c. 200 a week we get by. If i was on my own or the main breadwinner needing to work full time year round it could be quite scary but then again there is plenty of ways to supplement income by working evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jcat

Thanks Abra, Your advice is heartening, I've been offered a full time permanent job in a library but it's in a different city where I don't really want to live so I'm still debating this move, I've started my teaching council registration so that's the first step I guess. There seems to be more work opening up in secondary teaching but that may just be the view from the outside in.

Advertisement