Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beats Headphones Options for Running. Experience Shared?

Options
  • 11-04-2016 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I'd love to get a set of Beats cans - the headphones - not earphones.

http://ie.beatsbydre.com/

But what are the optimal ones to get? Anyone out here running using a set?

I don't want a wireless option, and they need to be reasonably durable (I expect sweat and the irish weather will finish them off faster than normal) and of course sit nice and secure while running.

I don't intend running races (so thanks in advance, but I know about race rules in that regard) with them, just my usual 25KM per day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

uvox wrote: »
    I'd love to get a set of Beats cans - the headphones - not earphones.

http://ie.beatsbydre.com/

But what are the optimal ones to get? Anyone out here running using a set?

I don't want a wireless option, and they need to be reasonably durable (I expect sweat and the irish weather will finish them off faster than normal) and of course sit nice and secure while running.

I don't intend running races (so thanks in advance, but I know about race rules in that regard) with them, just my usual 25KM per day.

For a variety of reasons you don't want beats.....

Aside from the performance (there are much better headphones out there than beats), they are just too big for running - they won't sit nicely or securely when running. You'll really need in ear for that. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

By the way, it's music not noise cancellation as the main user requirement.

By the way, it's music not noise cancellation as the main user requirement.

I never mentioned noise cancellation. You actually don't want that for running for safety reasons.

I don't want to sound like a complete audiophile but I wouldn't be the first person to say stay away from beats. They're a triumph of marketing and style over performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

If you're running the best thing by far is a cheap pair of Bluetooth earphones. Don't worry about sweat rain etc. I hate wires when running. I've had the same pair for two years. Use them at home running and commuting. Still working. No wires to break or twist. Bass starting to go alright.

Bought a Second pair of same ones recently as backup.

Got each of them for less than 30 including delivery.

Just my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

If you are truly looking for advice, do yourself a favour and don't buy Beats. They are overpriced tat. Get a pair of Sennheiser HD201 for less than 30 quid. Better build quality than beats and better sound quality too.

I have a sneaking feeling that all the advice on this thread might be falling on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Impressive mileage ! Does that include runnters training too though ? ;)

PaulieC wrote: »
    If you are truly looking for advice, do yourself a favour and don't buy Beats. They are overpriced tat. Get a pair of Sennheiser HD201 for less than 30 quid. Better build quality than beats and better sound quality too.

I have a sneaking feeling that all the advice on this thread might be falling on deaf ears.

Personally I'd go for almost any of the in ear sennheisers (they're what I use) but like you said Paulie I think someone has their heart set on beats...

There's even some on adverts OP if you want to look there.

For training/running you should be thinking performance and fit over "style" or "look". But it's your call, your money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks for all the replies. I'll explore some of the options here.

I already have earbuds/earphones from Monster iSport, Bose, Apple, Skullcandy (that was a mistake)..

Shame wireless isn't really up to scratch on all these things isn't it? The every expanding kabelsalat continues... Oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Are the purpose of these threads just to inform us of your purchases?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Make sure you get the ones that are in fashion.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. I'll explore some of the options here.

I already have earbuds/earphones from Monster iSport, Bose, Apple, Skullcandy (that was a mistake)..

Shame wireless isn't really up to scratch on all these things isn't it? The every expanding kabelsalat continues... Oh well..

Why ask for advice if you're blatantly telling us you're just going to ignore it? My responses were well intentioned and not in any way meant as sarcastic, but clearly that's been missed. Good luck with your purchases.

I don't work for sennheiser nor have any loyalty to them. I was trying to be helpful.

Fwiw, the jabra wireless are supposed to be quite good if you're intent on going down that route. But it's your call dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The OP appears to be the ideal Beats customer, though...

davedanon wrote: »
    The OP appears to be the ideal Beats customer, though...

That made me laugh! Thanks for that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

There's a baffling amount of detail in the following guides to the best running headphones, and I trust their picks on pretty much everything:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-running-gear/#headphones

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-exercise-headphones/

Myself I just use super cheap Apple earbuds as I routinely seem to destroy any and all headphones before I get any real value out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Meelectronics make some great in ear headphones. I've tried the M6 but have gone through a couple of sets over the past 2 years. Currently considering purchasing the M6 pro

MEE Audio M6 Pro Universal Fit Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015S2I6A0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_NfcdxbYZ8PRH1

I was tired of paying €20-30 for earphones that would stop working on one side after only 3 months or so, so I splashed out €50 on a pair. They stopped working on one side after 4 months. So I went to Dixons/Curry's/PC World whatever they're called, paid €30 for a philips pair that hook around your ear (much better than buds) and added €15 for a guarantee that they would replace them for any reason for the next three years. Seems like a pretty good deal.

I was tired of paying €20-30 for earphones that would stop working on one side after only 3 months or so, so I splashed out €50 on a pair. They stopped working on one side after 4 months. So I went to Dixons/Curry's/PC World whatever they're called, paid €30 for a philips pair that hook around your ear (much better than buds) and added €15 for a guarantee that they would replace them for any reason for the next three years. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Yeah....but they don't have a "b" on the side of them, do they?

;)

Yeah....but they don't have a "b" on the side of them, do they?

;)

No, but they have "l" on one side and "r" on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I usually buy in ear Sennheisers. Not only are they sturdier than a lot of others with a decent sound quality, they come with a 2 year warranty. I've only had to use it once and because I bought the pair through Amazon all it took was a quick online chat with Amazon customer services and a new pair were sent out the same day, no need to send back in the old ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I have a bag if earphones at home that were bought cheaply and for one reason or another didn't fit the bill. I took the plunge two years ago while in the states and bought a pair of Bose sports earphones. They cost around $100, but I have been wearing them 5 times a week since without any problems. They never fall out and the sound is great. The only problem with them is that I didn't shell out to get the pair with the music controls/phone controls.

I don't think I'd be able to run with the large headphones - I would imagine that they would just bounce around and fall off. I guess they would be grand if you're running slowly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I got a set of Aftershokz Titanium
    http://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium

They are bone conduction... So they sit just in front of the ear. Not an option for an audiophile I'll admit, but for exercise in public they are spot on.

Now just to get back and actually do a bit of running again....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I have the Powerbeats 2 (wireless) and when I used to listen to music running they were excellent. Bluetooth worked perfectly. I can't say what the sound quality is like versus cheaper options, but I suspect there are much cheaper options available. I had money burning in my pocket a few years ago in the states.

My wife uses them now with no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I use the earphones that are given free on long haul flights.

rom wrote: »

That's one of the saddest indictments of young people I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

PaulieC wrote: »
    That's one of the saddest indictments of young people I have ever seen.

Hmmm. I think it's a piss take. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kazmcdonald

I too am looking for recommendations for a good wireless headphone. Have starting to run so thinking in-ear would be best as I currently use the apple ones that came with an Ipod. Budget is less than €100. TIA

Advertisement