Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on Ryanair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    I bought at 10.5 not too long ago so down 20%.

Am I nuts to put the same amount in again now if i get them in or around 8.5 or should I just ride it out?

Am I throwing good money after bad?

(I am in no rush and can leave the money in there for as long as it takes to see a return)

Isn’t it very likely that you will still be able to avail of that price in 6 months time? If not better?

Why not look for a company that is going to do well from this, Or who will get a bounce from American election, like pharma, 3M make lots of PPE etc etc

Can’t see leisure travel coming back in such a way that gets the majority of their fleet airborne, and business travel will be limited as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Am I throwing good money after bad?

If you are investing in airlines in the middle of a pandemic where international travel is almost nil, (and one of the greatest investors every lived pulled all his money out of airlines,) then you have to be aware that this is a flutter and not investing for your future.

Are you going to lose all your money? Probably not,
    Could you make a short term gain. Possibly but I wouldn't be hopeful
    Is it a sound investment strategy. No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

For medium and long term Ryanair is always a buy at €9.

It's a 15 euro stock most of the time.

I bought it just after Brexit at 9, sold at 15.

Pretty solid company.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

I can't see air travel returning to where it was in the past without a vaccine and even so the legacy of this lockdown may inspire new regulation regarding air travel and the number of people that can be in a plane that it might never allow it to be as profitable again.

As said before.
    If your willing to take a punt on it go for it but make sure your investment target has a strong enough balance sheet to weather a few bad years.

There is a lot of value in the markets as a result of the panic selling of the last while but I don't think its in airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Ryanair seem massively overvalued compared to the rest of the airline industry. I know they are the best capitalised European stock but you are paying one hell of a premium for that. Ryanair is trading at about 12 times trailing earnings compared to the next best capitalised stock Iag which is trading at 2 times trailing earnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Harpon wrote: »
    Ryanair seem massively overvalued compared to the rest of the airline industry. I know they are the best capitalised European stock but you are paying one hell of a premium for that. Ryanair is trading at about 12 times trailing earnings compared to the next best capitalised stock Iag which is trading at 2 times trailing earnings.

It's like buying apple products - your paying for the name.

An amateur/personal investor in Europe wants to invest in an airline that makes money - whats the first name that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is this true?

I haven't time to check.

Ryanair 12x trailing earnings - you mean 2019/20 profits?

IAG 2x trailing earnings.................

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

its always had a much higher PE than the industry average , south western is the same in the U.S relative to the likes of delta

ryanair is the one airline you can be sure will survive this crisis , im not saying it wont go to five , maybe it will , it wont go bankrupt however and was cheap this week if you take a long term view

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Got on Ryanair again at 8.49 on Friday, flying up this morning (pardon the pun), currently at 9.12.

retalivity wrote: »
    Got on Ryanair again at 8.49 on Friday, flying up this morning (pardon the pun), currently at 9.12.

its rarely stayed in the eights for long since march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Quarterly results out this morning.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

(From a Market summary, last week).

IAG is 1.7 times 2019 earnings.
    Ryanair is about 9.3 times.

Air France = 2.9
    Easyjet = 5.8
    Lufthansa = 3.5
    WizzAir = 10.6

Soo yes, Ryanair and Wizz and Easyjet are rated much higher than the market average.

Maybe the real story there is IAG is a very lowly rated Airline holding company. (inexplicably soo)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

bcklschaps wrote: »
    (From a Market summary, last week).

IAG is 1.7 times 2019 earnings.
    Ryanair is about 9.3 times.

Air France = 2.9
    Easyjet = 5.8
    Lufthansa = 3.5
    WizzAir = 10.6

Soo yes, Ryanair and Wizz and Easyjet are rated much higher than the market average.

Maybe the real story there is IAG is a very lowly rated Airline holding company. (inexplicably soo)

Sorry if mentioned before-
    Ryanair in strongest position. Almost €4 million cash & 77% of its 327 planes are owned & un-mortgaged.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

dinneenp wrote: »
    Sorry if mentioned before-
    Ryanair in strongest position. Almost €4 million cash & 77% of its 327 planes are owned & un-mortgaged.

And what is the burn rate? €4 million sounds like chump change for an airline...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And what is the burn rate? €4 million sounds like chump change for an airline...

He meant billion, IAG has 6.9 billion in cash for comparison

From 8.50 last week, back towards 10 now.

2019/20 results:

https://investor.ryanair.com/results/fy-20-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Got in at €8.45 Friday and out at €10.00 today. Thank you very much Mr. O'Leary

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Got in at €8.45 Friday and out at €10.00 today. Thank you very much Mr. O'Leary

range between 8 and 10.50 is established , at least for now

• Registered Users Posts: 30 s3ndnudes

Just sold out of Ryanair at 27% profit.

Capital has allocated back into stocks I've held for a numbers of years:
    Alibaba
    Tencent
    Alphabet

Also opened a new and small position in Baidu and added to my emerging market ETFS.

Individual stocks are a relatively small amount of the portfolio anyway, with the above only making up a small enough portion of that. Chinese stocks are a small portion of the overall portfolio it just happens i'm adding to them all at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Nearly certain there'll be another opportunity to get in close to 8 again as this plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Can you short Ryanir on degiro? I couldnt do this a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

ebayissues wrote: »

No don't think so.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SMcDDB

ebayissues wrote: »

Would love to know this also. The exact play I would make tomorrow.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    For medium and long term Ryanair is always a buy at €9.

It's a 15 euro stock most of the time.

I bought it just after Brexit at 9, sold at 15.

Pretty solid company.

You're all welcome guys...!

SMcDDB wrote: »
    Would love to know this also. The exact play I would make tomorrow.

The days not over, but Ryanair is up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SMcDDB

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The days not over, but Ryanair is up today.

Hahaha lucky I couldn’t short sell on DEGIRO so. Think I’ll stick with the long buys!

Back up over 11.50 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Idek anymore. WTF

Geuze wrote: »
    From 8.50 last week, back towards 10 now.

2019/20 results:

https://investor.ryanair.com/results/fy-20-results/

From 8.50 in May, just a few weeks ago, to 12.50 today.

I am a shareholder, I like the business model, they have a strong balance sheet, but I still can't believe the recovery in this share price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

Really gobsmacked with the current share price. After Brexit they dropped to approx 8.50

Now with no planes in the sky and no notion how air travel will pan out they are at 12.50, really amazing.

Advertisement