Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Half Marathon 17.04.16

Options
  • 11-04-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Anyone here done this before? Any tips??
    It will be my first half marathon I followed a 12 week training plan so hopefully will be well prepared, just worried I will start too fast! Not sure what time I am aiming for maybe sub 2 hours 10 mins as I done my last long training run yest 12 miles in just under 2 hrs. Slightly worried as all of my training runs have been on quite flat routes and i've been hearing there are a few hills in this one uh oh!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Lo_La wrote: »
    Anyone here done this before? Any tips??
    It will be my first half marathon I followed a 12 week training plan so hopefully will be well prepared, just worried I will start too fast! Not sure what time I am aiming for maybe sub 2 hours 10 mins as I done my last long training run yest 12 miles in just under 2 hrs. Slightly worried as all of my training runs have been on quite flat routes and i've been hearing there are a few hills in this one uh oh!!

I'm also thinking of giving this a go, so any info on the route would be appreciated by me too!

My 2c on the other part... If the 12 miles in just under 2 hours was comfortable enough, you could consider going with the 2hr pacers. If you think that's too quick, just be disciplined and stick with your training pace in the early stages, perhaps push on a little in the second half if you feel good. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

vinny1313 wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of giving this a go, so any info on the route would be appreciated by me too!

My 2c on the other part... If the 12 miles in just under 2 hours was comfortable enough, you could consider going with the 2hr pacers. If you think that's too quick, just be disciplined and stick with your training pace in the early stages, perhaps push on a little in the second half if you feel good. Best of luck.

Thanks vinny1313 I know i should probably have a faster goal time but originally when I started training I had this time in mind and I really don't want to be disappointed on the day as just completing the race will be an achievement for me, anything less than this time will be a bonus! In the past I've set myself a target probably not realistic enough and been really disappointed after so I don't want that to happen. I think I will go with setting off steady and seeing what I have left in the last few miles :) Best of luck if you do decide to run!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

It starts on the quayside near the Talbot in a closed car park, a few hundred yards up the quays and then a swift u-turn and back the way you came on the road this time. Will be congested on the u-turn as it is so near the start but take your time and don't worry about losing a few seconds and remember there are 13 miles to go! Its a gentle enough drag up through the Faythe and then mainly uphill to Johnstown Castle. Once you reach the Castle take solace that you have reached the highest point and it is more or less all downhill from there back into town.

Picked my number and t-shirt earlier. The shirt is small-fitting. I'm a small or medium these days and I needed a large!

How did ye get on Vinny and Lo_La?

Perfect day for it. It really is a long slow drag up to the Castle but I found the second half a lot easier. Water tables were well spaced and well run I thought.

• Advertisement

babaracus wrote: »

Perfect day for it. It really is a long slow drag up to the Castle but I found the second half a lot easier. Water tables were well spaced and well run I thought.

Got on really well thanks! Yeah it is a really long slow drag to Castle but I think i prefer that to a couple of steep hills. Water stations were perfect. Loved running around the castle it was a nice break from the road, hated the last part on the busy road but I was also getting very tired and struggling at that stage! I stuck with the 2.10 pacer until near the end and she must have been going a bit faster as I got a time of 2.05!! Delighted with that as when I started training all I wanted to do was try and do the whole thing without walking :) The pacer was brilliant she kept us going the whole way. It was a good route for a first half marathon and so lucky with the weather.
    Were you happy with your time? Have you done it a few times before?

babaracus wrote: »

Despite being sceptical about it being 'Ireland's PB Course' I knocked a sizeable chunk off mine, finishing in 1:25:40. I was expecting the first section to the castle to me more uphill than it was, so I was still fresh enough at that point to push on and gain a bit in the next 5-6k which was a nice downhill, just needed to hang on for the last section, which is always the way. The weather was indeed perfect, and it does make a big difference, The only negative I had was that the last few k on a busy road, was potentially a bit dangerous.

vinny1313 wrote: »
    Despite being sceptical about it being 'Ireland's PB Course' I knocked a sizeable chunk off mine, finishing in 1:25:40. I was expecting the first section to the castle to me more uphill than it was, so I was still fresh enough at that point to push on and gain a bit in the next 5-6k which was a nice downhill, just needed to hang on for the last section, which is always the way. The weather was indeed perfect, and it does make a big difference, The only negative I had was that the last few k on a busy road, was potentially a bit dangerous.

Well done that's a brilliant time! I agree with you about the last bit and as there were quite a few people walking there by the time I got there it was a bit dangerous trying to over take them (not that I overtook too many!)

Great time Vinny! And 2:05 for a half marathon after only 12 weeks training is brilliant too Lo_La, you have great potential there, keep it up and you will be sailing in under 2 hours next time. I took it easy until the Castle and then picked up the pace gradually. For the last 5k I really picked it up and was going pretty much flat out including a full sprint at the end. Finished in 1:49. My first half marathon. I am on a marathon training programme at the moment.

Agreed that it was a bit tight on the main road at times, as I had picked up the pace a good bit I was overtaking people here and a bit too close to some very large trucks at times. The rest of the course was nice with the roads quiet enough and of course the castle. We were very lucky with the weather, not too hot not too cold, not too sunny and not too windy. Couldn't have asked for better there.

Advertisement