Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Tool Restoration

Options
  • 14-04-2016 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

This thread is a continuation of a subject started in the Tool Suppliers thread, and is dedicated to restoring classic tools like Stanley and Record planes, cast steel chisels etc.
    modsnip
    You might be interested to see the planes that I use my self, Ironically I dont use Stanley or Record planes
    These are my 18th century infill planes,
    A Mathieson coffin shaped steel smoothing plane with rosewood infill and a Ward and Payne iron.
    And an early Speirs Panel plane with dovetailed steel body, beech infill and a Ward and Payne Iron.
    infill%20001_zpsuijpsaen.jpg

I love the mass of these planes, once you set it in motion its weight will carry it through any knots or twisty grain. The heavy forged cast steel blades are nearly 6mm thick at the business end so chatter just dosent happen. The re is no adjustment on these planes you set the blade with a mallet or small hammer which sounds like a hassle but it isnt really, the last time I had to adjust the smoother was over 2 years ago.
    Collectors have made these planes very expensive if they are in mint condition but its still possible to pick up damaged or incomplete ones cheaply and restore then to their former glory.
    I have made new infill on both these planes and done some brazing to the screw adjustment of the smoother.
    snip
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement