Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maamturks 2016

Options
  • 11-04-2016 1:31pm

Just four more sleeps to the Maamturks Challenge 2016.

The forecast looks ridiculously good for the day. Bit of sun cream won't go astray and an extra few mls. of water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The forecast looks ridiculously good for the day. Bit of sun cream won't go astray and an extra few mls. of water.

Don't tempt faith ...... says I as I refresh yr every 30 minutes ;)

Seriously though, the weather gods promised us a good day two years ago and we nearly got hypothermia. I won't believe it till I see it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Three for me since I'll be on the first checkpoint :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Don't tempt faith ...... says I as I refresh yr every 30 minutes ;)

Seriously though, the weather gods promised us a good day two years ago and we nearly got hypothermia. I won't believe it till I see it :)

It'll be grand. We'll have better stories to tell if the weather is bad :)

Three for me since I'll be on the first checkpoint :)

See you on Saturday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Have to do this sometime, but will prob just do it in two halfs myself, stunning country, enjoy everyone

• Advertisement

Climbed in bright moonlight at 22:00 going a bit slippery underfoot. Weather closing now wind fresh from north east might freeze yet.

First checkpoint open for business at 5:30

Good luck to all, and particularly to those helping out.

Learned a valuable lesson there 2 years ago. Had done lots of mountain and trail runs, including the Wicklow Way Ultra a few weeks before, so was pretty confident. Had just finished the descent to Mham Ochoige, well past the cliff...and suddenly my leg went and I heard a crack from my knee. Hobbled to the tent, couldn't go on, managed to hop down the side of the mountain and got a lift back to car. Ended up in AnE in Galway Hospital, and subsequently did an MRI scan. Thankfully the ACL was intact, and had just torn cartilage and a few minor ligaments that hold the knee cap in place, so healed in a couple of months without the need for surgery.

The lesson? Well I take a lot more care now, and I've taken out health insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

See you on Saturday morning :)

hope you all got on fine? i attempted this myself in 2013 and even though the gale force weather and my tired old body let me down i had a great time in stunning surroundings :D

Climbed in bright moonlight at 22:00 going a bit slippery underfoot. Weather closing now wind fresh from north east might freeze yet.

First checkpoint open for business at 5:30

Well done to you, the Club and all the volunteers. Ye pulled off yet another well organised and executed event.

There was a warm smile to greet us at each checkpoint and the weather and clear skies made it. Everyone was talking about the light and how well the surrounding mountains looked, there was such a buzz around Leenane. Great day out, long may the challenge continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was half considering doing it this year. The weather in 2013 when I did it was diabolical, which kind of put me off, but I still had fond recollections of when I did a 'rece' of the route earlier the same year when the weather and views were magnificent. With hindsight I wish I had done it now, but you can never be certain of the weather, even a week in advance in that part of the world!

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    hope you all got on fine? :D

Had a great day. Was able to take off the fleece on Corcóg and walk with the base layer for the rest of the day - just had to keep moving. Three little snow flurries but not enough to warrant the coat.

Day seems to have gone broadly ok. We had one person who seems to have decided to do their own thing after leaving the start and did not check in with the first checkpoint or any body else.

This meant that the checkpoint could not be closed until this person was tracked down. This wasn't achieved until 11-12pm. People were even out checking the parked cars.

On a nice day that kind of behaviour might be "comparatively" harmless but if the weather had been bad then that type of thing puts the checkpoint crews at unnecessary risk.

Apart from that alls well that ends well!

I think GerardS was one of the zippy ones that came through early but I was having a gear fail with my head torch at the time and was struggling to track anything! :D

Sorry to hear that, hope when ye tracked them down that they apologised.

Gerard S was top 10 :) a pb i believe. Well done Gerard.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Gerard S was top 10 :) a pb i believe.

It really is very hard to tell. I mean, you could be in first 10 off the hill but not everyone starts at the same time. There's a 2hr(?) window at the start so lads and lassies finishing behind you could be ahead of you.

Not that it matters, of course. It's a personal thing, and should always be that way with the hillwalking (ie boots and backpack). Deliberate self testing, as I like to call it.

My 'time' was slower than 2015 but I wouldn't be beating myself up about it. Sometimes you get a day when everything falls right for you and you feel really good.

It really is very hard to tell. I mean, you could be in first 10 off the hill but not everyone starts at the same time. There's a 2hr(?) window at the start so lads and lassies finishing behind you could be ahead of you.

Not that it matters, of course. It's a personal thing, and should always be that way with the hillwalking (ie boots and backpack). Deliberate self testing, as I like to call it.

My 'time' was slower than 2015 but I wouldn't be beating myself up about it. Sometimes you get a day when everything falls right for you and you feel really good.

Yep its not a race there are no placings as such. There are a few (Miko Keane etc) who have their own private "race" going on but that's nothing to do with the organisers.

Advertisement