Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job, Boss is a complete a**hole

Options
  • 11-04-2016 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

HI all,

I started a new job not more than a month a go. Its my first real job since leaving college and I am here for six months. The pay isn't the best (minimum wage) but its close to home so I literally have zero expenses.

Now my problem is that the guy who runs the place is the definition of a pr!ck. He keeps giving out to me for not being outside with the labourers (what he wants me to do I'm not even sure), even though my job requires me to be in the office on the computer.

He ate the head off me because I emailed the person who looks after the wages (I was enquiring was there a mistake on my pay) instead of coming to him.

Even on the day of the interview he gave out to me for being late even though he only rang me less then an hour before and I was actually on time.

Other things would be like ringing me with questions he knows I wouldn't know the answer to yet as I'm still learning the ropes.

I feel like he didnt want to have me there because his boss was actually the person who gave me the job so now I think he wants to make it hard for myself.

What do you think? Should I just suck it up or would you quit while you can? I havent signed a contract yet. Its not even a good job in terms of my what I actually did in college but its so hard to get any job at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I'd find a job first and then get out of there soon as.
    Why put up with that when you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Stick it out for now, you don't want to be seen as leaving a job so soon after starting, but keep not of everything that happens with this boss, maybe keep a notebook at home and write it all down when you go home in the evenings. Do you have a HR dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

If it's minimum wage, unless the prospects are good for the future, you can do without a crazy man like that trying to make your life miserable.

If you can get another job, then get out as soon as you can.

That man sounds insufferable.

Don't quit until you pick up something else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

deadybai wrote: »
    HI all,

I started a new job not more than a month a go. Its my first real job since leaving college and I am here for six months. The pay isn't the best (minimum wage) but its close to home so I literally have zero expenses.

Now my problem is that the guy who runs the place is the definition of a pr!ck. He keeps giving out to me for not being outside with the labourers (what he wants me to do I'm not even sure), even though my job requires me to be in the office on the computer.

He ate the head off me because I emailed the person who looks after the wages (I was enquiring was there a mistake on my pay) instead of coming to him.

Even on the day of the interview he gave out to me for being late even though he only rang me less then an hour before and I was actually on time.

Other things would be like ringing me with questions he knows I wouldn't know the answer to yet as I'm still learning the ropes.

I feel like he didnt want to have me there because his boss was actually the person who gave me the job so now I think he wants to make it hard for myself.

What do you think? Should I just suck it up or would you quit while you can? I havent signed a contract yet. Its not even a good job in terms of my what I actually did in college but its so hard to get any job at the moment.

Two options OP.

1) leave the job and hope something better comes along but be prepared for a wait.
    2) Talk to the actual boss and explain that the working relationship between your line manager and yourself is not good but you would like to help improve this but you need to make him aware of the issues you face. Hope fully things become smooth enough until you can find a job that you like better.

Personally I'd go for option two.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tell him that you feel like a door mat at times and that you're only getting to know how things work and that it would be great if he understood that and helped rather than hindered the ''getting to know the job'' process.
    Put on paper, easy to get across the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

messrs wrote: »
    Stick it out for now, you don't want to be seen as leaving a job so soon after starting
    :rolleyes:

If it's affecting you to the extent that other areas of your life are suffering then I wouldn't give the job, or what anyone else thinks about you leaving the job, a second thought. I'd just leave. Otherwise, stick at it and maybe see how things progress, while keeping an eye out for other work.

You could also have a quiet word with your boss and explain your grievances in a calm and polite manner. At least you'd know for sure then whether he's a prick or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭Withering

Stick it out.

Welcome to the big bad world!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

messrs wrote: »
    Stick it out for now, you don't want to be seen as leaving a job so soon after starting,

Except that it's a minimum wager. No one's going to look badly on the OP for leaving as soon as they can get anything that pays better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Withering wrote: »
    Stick it out.

Very constructive.
    Except that it's a minimum wager. No one's going to look badly on the OP for leaving as soon as they can get anything that pays better.
    It's not about the money I imagine. People can be very happy in low paying jobs so long as they are treated well, and with some kind of respect, by others. More money often means more respect but not always. The main reason for industrial disputes is not pay but rather a lack of respect and fair treatment from managers and employers.

If the Op was on twice the wages they would still me making this thread. But it's less likely they'd be treated this way were they in a position whereby they were earning twice as much imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Withering wrote: »
    Stick it out.

That's right just let yourself get walked-on in your one and only life.

If you stand up to this guy he will, paradoxically, back down, and respect you more for it. I know you're scared but you have to do it. For your own self-respect at least. Dont lose your temper, just let him know that you're not taking his 5hit anymore. Then smash him of course (metaphorically).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Walkies op. Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

If there's a guy above him, complain to that guy.

If your boss is giving you sh*t, you should stand up for yourself. Everyone is equal in this world and no one deserves respect just because of their job title.

Failing that, just walk. There'll be other, better jobs where people will appreciate you.

Advertisement