Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm identify faulty sensor

• 11-04-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

I have a zone where I am getting false alarms (both contact and sensor). There are 5 sensors on that zone, 4 shocks and one contact. I measured the resistance on the panel, its about 1.480 (multimiter set to 2K). As suggested in this forum, I tapped each sensor a few times and the resistance changes and after goes back to the original value, so no joy.

Any other way to find the faulty sensor?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Try it again with the resistor removed. Tap each sensor upto 20 times if you don't see the the resistance staying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blue2006

KoolKid wrote: »
    Try it again with the resistor removed. Tap each sensor upto 20 times if you don't see the the resistance staying up.

Excuse my ignorance..... So I will remove the end of line resistor first. Then I tap each sensors up to 20 times, and the resistance goes up and after down to the original value. If there is a problem the resistance stays up?

In case I can't identify any fault, the only solution is to replace all sensors?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the resistance stays up after you tap it then disconnect that device and continue to test the rest in the same way.
    If you still don't find anything it's a process of elimination. Disconnect all the devices and add them on one by one till the problem returns.

If the resistance stays up after you tap it then disconnect that device and continue to test the rest in the same way.
    If you still don't find anything it's a process of elimination. Disconnect all the devices and add them on one by one till the problem returns.

Strange, when I did the test, and i was tapping the sensors, the resistance would change and after go back to the original value after 1 or two seconds. I guest it is because I didn't remove the EOL resistor?

When you say add them one by one, do you mean add one sensor, tap, add another sensor, tap etc....
    Thanks a lot...

No, I mean if you cannot find the faulty device remove them from the zone and add them one by one over a number of days seeing if the alarm activates over that period.

• Advertisement

No, I mean if you cannot find the faulty device remove them from the zone and add them one by one over a number of days seeing if the alarm activates over that period.

Cool, will try to remove the EOL and each sensor one at the time. At the moment the fault can occur after 3-4 weeks or twice in a week, depends.

As mentioned, I already tried with the resistor and without removing the sensors no joy. Hope I am going to have more luck with this..... Thanks

Advertisement