Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 storey building in Mervue

Options
  • 11-04-2016 1:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

See attached picture - taken from Google earth, its a few years old at this stage.

Just wondering, are these buildings still in operation by Eircom, passed by them the other day ( at a weekend admittedly) and everything seemed shut down there and just very run down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hi

See attached picture - taken from Google earth, its a few years old at this stage.

Just wondering, are these buildings still in operation by Eircom, passed by them the other day ( at a weekend admittedly) and everything seemed shut down there and just very run down.

The building on the left is empty and for rent. The building on the right is still in use AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

ratracer wrote: »
    The building on the left is empty and for rent. The building on the right is still in use AFAIK.

thanks, still in use by Eircom is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The low rise on the very right has a few people rattling around inside. The other two are empty. (As at a couple of months ago, according to a friend who works for Eir.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

For sale soon ? Apartment block conversion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

The low rise on the very right has a few people rattling around inside. The other two are empty. (As at a couple of months ago, according to a friend who works for Eir.)

Thanks. Shame.

I remember growing up in the 1980's and passing these and thinking thye were massive sky scrappers

• Advertisement

http://touch.daft.ie/galway/commercial-property-for-rent/offices-for-rent/former-eircom-building-mervue-galway-111486/

€60,000 per annum for 12,000 square feet.
    Did it used to be a call centre?

There is a shortage of good quality offices at the moment - it will probably be let in parts.

Wayfair (nee CSN stores) has occupied Connacht House which had been empty since it was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

I heard a few years ago (from a relative who worked there and was made redundant some years back) that there were people that Eircom couldn't fire because they had contracts from the time it was a state company. When they made the redundancies they moved those people to a department where they had no duties or facilities until they got bored and resigned.
    Anyway the story was that there were still some of those people there years later just clocking in and out and staring at the wall for the day.
    Could you ask your friend if that story is true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I heard it was the HQ for the Irish Secret Service

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

whineflu wrote: »
    I heard a few years ago (from a relative who worked there and was made redundant some years back) that there were people that Eircom couldn't fire because they had contracts from the time it was a state company. When they made the redundancies they moved those people to a department where they had no duties or facilities until they got bored and resigned.
    Anyway the story was that there were still some of those people there years later just clocking in and out and staring at the wall for the day.
    Could you ask your friend if that story is true?

There is some truth in what you say - there are some people who cannot be fired.

My friend is most certainly not starting at the wall - she's attached to a team in another city now, but uses the Mervue building because she lives in Galway.

I don't know about others - and will not be asking the question directly! But depriving people of work to do is counted a bullying, so it's not wise for an employer to actually do that - could be a nice little payout if anyone sued them.

fwiw, the buildings large and small have been up to let for a long time. For whatever reason, no one is renting them - there cannot be that much shortage of office accommodation, or perhaps the price / floor-size is just too wrong. Apparently there are abandoned ex-Eircom building looking very sad and forlorn all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

fwiw, the buildings large and small have been up to let for a long time. For whatever reason, no one is renting them - there cannot be that much shortage of office accommodation

There are boom era office blocks in Galway that have never been let. This one for example is quite close to that location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Lick a paint anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I think they've been shopping it around for ages, but they probably want far too much for what it is.

Zero pictures of the interior doesn't give a person confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Lads I know have worked in those buildings from time to time (doing contracting work for Eircom) and they were telling me that the interior is grim grim grim. Long dark narrow hallways, small pokey offices... A real step back in time setup. Any wonder there's no takers...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I too did some contract work there and it is very grim, canteen and toilet facilities seem to have remained exactly the same since being built, peeling lino and all. Is the smaller building for rent?. I can't see how with the eircom specific equipment that is hardly removable in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I have worked there in a contract captivity also

The building to the left is empty the one in the middle is occupied and so is the one to the right.

Anyone who is there works and has a role and does something productive.

Theres a lot of underground and overground network equipment onsite, Fibre etc so I couldnt see them being knocked and anything being built in their place

Wish I could say more but this is a public forum have to be careful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I presume that place plays a big role in transatlantic communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any word on the big hole in the ground next to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Thargor wrote: »
    Any word on the big hole in the ground next to it?

Crowne Plaza ?? Im sure it will stay a big whole in the ground for another while anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats the one, why did they dig it out like that? Its an absolutely massive hole even for an underground carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats the one, why did they dig it out like that? Its an absolutely massive hole even for an underground carpark.

"Mr Harris was also part of a consortium attempting to turn a former factory site into the biggest retail development in Galway city -- the €450m Crown Plaza project in Mervue, which received planning permission in late 2006.
    But the developers were hit by an unforeseen cost -- the soil in the site was polluted and they spent vast sums excavating it for treatment before the property crash hit. One Galway politician said the Mervue site was now a "hole in the ground".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/champagne-stopped-flowing-as-developers-luck-ran-dry-26754810.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Scone190 wrote: »
    One Galway politician said the Mervue site was now a "hole in the ground".

I wish there were more elected officials with such insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

I wish there were more elected officials with such insight.

To be fair, he's looking into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

To be fair, he's looking into it

That's it. Time to ditch this thread, it's boring. Those who dig it can pit your wits against Klaus but if you ask me you're in a hole heap of trouble because you're in too deep.

Advertisement