Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle shed/lean-to

Options
  • 11-04-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to build a small shed against the side of my house to put my bike into to keep it out of the rain and accessible from the front without having to open the side gate.
    The side passageway is only about a meter wide so I want to build something very narrow, literally something i can wheel the bike into and out of.

Something like this would be ideal but with the door at the end rather than the side as there isn't room to open out.

Rowlinson_6ft_x_3ft__1_76m_x_0_83m__Overlap_Pressure_Treated_Bike_Store_A_SS_1.jpg

Has anyone ever made something like this, have any plans or suggestions? (or know where to buy one in kit form that doesn't cost €000's )

Thanks!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Would it be possible to put a batton of 3x2 on each side of the passage and just span them with corrugated pvc? Or do you need a closing door?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ampjohnny

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd like to build a small shed against the side of my house to put my bike into to keep it out of the rain and accessible from the front without having to open the side gate.
    The side passageway is only about a meter wide so I want to build something very narrow, literally something i can wheel the bike into and out of.

Something like this would be ideal but with the door at the end rather than the side as there isn't room to open out.

Rowlinson_6ft_x_3ft__1_76m_x_0_83m__Overlap_Pressure_Treated_Bike_Store_A_SS_1.jpg

Has anyone ever made something like this, have any plans or suggestions? (or know where to buy one in kit form that doesn't cost €000's )

Thanks!

OLD thread i know but i am looking to achieve the exact same! OP did you ever find a good solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You would be as well to put a sign on the shed saying "Free bikes inside".

Seriously, if your bikes are worth anything, avoid putting them in a shed outside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can buy metal bike sheds a little like the above in homebase iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are a few secure ways of doing this, most involve large anchors driven into concrete and block work.

You do of course have to remember that there's no such thing as 100% security. If a thief can get access to your bike for ten minutes undisturbed with an angle grinder, they're probably going to get it.

This is something that now has a few off-the-shelf options, which will probably be neater and more secure than anything you do yourself. If you google it, there are a few steel-box type storage lockers you can get. I've also seen this in the real world. Cyclok have also recently introduced a very low-profile storage locker for a single bike at an eye-watering €1,800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

mrcheez wrote: »

That's a very nice solution, but christ is that expensive.

I would avoid wood at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

That's a very nice solution, but christ is that expensive.

I would avoid wood at all costs.

It's not wood, or are you referring to the other shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I would not avoid wood wood at all costs, using wood makes this easy to make

Use pressure treated 2/2 for frame,
    sides clad in pressure treated shiplap
    sloping roof, 8 x 4 sheet WBP, easily cut to size, covered in mineral felt
    Use 6mm express nails, or strong screws 100mm long and rawl plugs to secure to a wall, if you have one

Frame etc use screws , not nails

pressure treated wood will last 20 years, weak point would be where the PT wood sits on your side passage surface. Here I would add extra treatment , creosote , perhaps sit the frame on plastic packers to raise off damp surface

Advertisement