Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a property and tenants never registered with Irish Water

Options
  • 11-04-2016 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Am selling a property and I have had it rented until now. Just found out from the management company that the tenants never registered with Irish Water. I had rang Irish Water last year and told them that I was the landlord and they told me that I wasn't liable for the charges or the registration as I wasn't living there and I wasn't the user.
    My solicitor is now telling me I cannot sell a property that's not registered with Irish Water and that doesn't have the water charges paid? Is this the case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Hi,
    Am selling a property and I have had it rented until now. Just found out that the tenants never registered with Irish Water. I had rang Irish Water last year and told them that I was the landlord and they told me that I wasn't liable for the charges or the registration as I wasn't living there and I wasn't the user.
    My solicitor is now telling me I cannot sell a property that's not registered with Irish Water and that doesn't have the water charges paid? Is this the case?

Are your tenants still living in the property?

You can contact Irish Water here.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Are your tenants still living in the property?

You can contact Irish Water here.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

They did a runner and abandoned the place. Just off the phone with Irish Water so may as well update this thread for others who have the same issue. I can get a letter of non-liability from Irish Water to indicate that I am not liable for the charges. Turns out my tenants did register with them afterall!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Do let us know what happens- as I'm sure there are plenty of others who will benefit from your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Hi,

Sold a house last year and did have to supply solicitor with proof that IW charges had been paid in full.

HelgaWard wrote: »
    Sold a house last year and did have to supply solicitor with proof that IW charges had been paid in full.

As a landlord though I have been told that I can get a letter of non-liability and that will suffice. You were probably living in the property and the water charges registered to you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

HelgaWard wrote: »

Depends on the timing- the Minister brought in legislation attaching Irish Water debts to the property late last year- it all depends on when you sold, it could very well be you got in before the legislation was enacted.

http://www.water.ie/help-centre/selling-a-home/

Third bullet point pertains in my case. Tenant is registered and responsibility of paying rests with tenant. I just need letter of non-liability. Legislation seems to have come into effect Jan 1st 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Yes we were. Also own a house that is rented out at the moment and hope to sell it in the not too distant future, so interested in your experience.

I'll keep you posted.

Advertisement