Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC radio phone in 606

• 11-04-2016 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Does anyone listen to this show? On Saturday and Sunday with Fletch and Sav on Saturday and Ian wright and Kelly Cates on Sunday.

It's absolutely woeful but at times its unintenionally hilarious.

For instance on Saturday you had so many hairbrained callers and other folk who just talk about "passion". Many of them attend games but still haven't an earthly about football.

Saturday's episode was a classic:
    - 2 West ham fans who thought there was a conspiracy to keep west ham out of the CL
    - a sunderland fan who thought adam johnson was let go too early and could have scored 6 goals or so if he was kept on :eek: which rendered fletch and sav speechless.
    - an arsenal fan who wanted "didier" simeone to be their next manager
    - Sav thought Andy Carroll had to go to the Euros

To be fair Fletch and Sav do a good job of humouring the idiots who call. The best part is the constant references to "passion", fans who ring up and ask "where's the passion?" with regard to their team, other callers who are told by fletch and sav that they "love your passion"

Any other fans of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Didier Deschamps presumably? :D

Never listen, football phone ins really only exist to prove that message boards are not the lowest form of communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Never listen, football phone ins really only exist to prove that message boards are not the lowest form of communication.

Definitely, they have Piers Morgan on sometimes to provide expert insight :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Does anyone listen to this show? On Saturday and Sunday with Fletch and Sav on Saturday and Ian wright and Kelly Cates on Sunday.

It's absolutely woeful but at times its unintenionally hilarious.

For instance on Saturday you had so many hairbrained callers and other folk who just talk about "passion". Many of them attend games but still haven't an earthly about football.

Saturday's episode was a classic:
    - 2 West ham fans who thought there was a conspiracy to keep west ham out of the CL
    - a sunderland fan who thought adam johnson was let go too early and could have scored 6 goals or so if he was kept on :eek: which rendered fletch and sav speechless.
    - an arsenal fan who wanted "didier" simeone to be their next manager
    - Sav thought Andy Carroll had to go to the Euros

To be fair Fletch and Sav do a good job of humouring the idiots who call. The best part is the constant references to "passion", fans who ring up and ask "where's the passion?" with regard to their team, other callers who are told by fletch and sav that they "love your passion"

Any other fans of it?

Is that opinion that crazy.

He'd be a great man to spring from the bench for 20 minutes at the end of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It used be on my list of podcasts id listen to, it really is drivel of the lowest order, it's followed closely by "BBC football daily". You'd think if the BBC made it that it would have some sort of quality, but no. 606 can be summed up with morons entertaining morons. I'll stick with the lads on off the ball on news talk and the bi-weekly episodes of second captains and football weekly with James Richardson. That's quality.

Is that opinion that crazy.

He'd be a great man to spring from the bench for 20 minutes at the end of the game.

Ah its not crazy, in fact if you could guarantee his fitness i'd be on board but the guy plays about 20% of west ham's total season minutes. It won't happen unless someone gets injured which would have been sensible if Savage phrased it like that instead of he has to be brought...

• Advertisement

I used to love the phone ins on Today FMs show on Saturday evening. Great for a laugh.

Liverpool were terrible, Houllier must go.

Did you see the game?

No, I just saw the result but...

It used be on my list of podcasts id listen to, it really is drivel of the lowest order, it's followed closely by "BBC football daily". You'd think if the BBC made it that it would have some sort of quality, but no. 606 can be summed up with morons entertaining morons. I'll stick with the lads on off the ball on news talk and the bi-weekly episodes of second captains and football weekly with James Richardson. That's quality.

Its kind of the opposite of all that but at the same time they are two sides of the same coin. There is nearly as much rubbish talked on the SC, FW & OTB formats although for that format the people (Ken Early & Ger Gilroy for example) talking the rubbish are far more intelligent and so make it sound more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Its kind of the opposite of all that but at the same time they are two sides of the same coin. There is nearly as much rubbish talked on the SC, FW & OTB formats although for that format the people (Ken Early & Ger Gilroy for example) talking the rubbish are far more intelligent and so make it sound more impressive.

I agree, the presenters of OTB, SC and FW do talk a lot of rubbish it's generally humorous...Richardson and Early bordering on comedians at times. It's entertaining, unlike 606...just makes me want to turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I used to love the phone ins on Today FMs show on Saturday evening. Great for a laugh.

Liverpool were terrible, Houllier must go.

Did you see the game?

No, I just saw the result but...

That was a joke of a phone in show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Does anyone listen to this show?

Hmmmm...Can't say I have yet anyway.
    On Saturday and Sunday with Fletch and Sav on Saturday

Say no more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Carroll going to the Euro's isn't that ridiculous tbh, he's something completely different and could change a game far more if England were losing with 15/20 minutes to play than most other players would

Edit - Just saw someone else said it too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would have listened to it a fair bit back in the day, before I was aware of other football podcasts. It's a really terrible show. The amount of airtime they give to deluded, ill informed and inarticulate fools is amazing. I decided that enough was enough when I realised that Robbie Savage was as close to the voice of reason as I was going to get.

Football phone in shows can be a car crash, though they aren't all bad - The BBC World Football Phone-In can be very informative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I love Kelly Cates voice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

football weekly isn't really much quality other than a brief round up of games, typically with someone randomly picked from the office who does minute-by-minutes on the guardian site.

football daily is alright for the monday night show and friday night preview on bbc5 live and when John Motson is not on it. The 'football social' abomination thing they have after a game they were commentating on is abysmal and to be avoided at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I love Kelly Cates voice!

I loved her in her Sky Sports days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I used to listen to it back when Alan Greene hosted it, it was hilarious, mainly because of Alan Greene's subtle piss-taking of callers.

Can't imagine what it'd be like with Robbie Savage. *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Still probably won't beat the clown Claridge on Sky back when they had that awful "You're on Sky Sports" call in show.
    Some Irish lad was saying a few home truths about the English players and pool old Steve almost crying ... "well, who have yous lot got?" was all he could muster.

Talk about playing the man and not the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

razorblunt wrote: »
    Still probably won't beat the clown Claridge on Sky back when they had that awful "You're on Sky Sports" call in show.
    Some Irish lad was saying a few home truths about the English players and pool old Steve almost crying ... "well, who have yous lot got?" was all he could muster.

Talk about playing the man and not the ball.

Im just shocked that Steve Claridge knows how to operate any sort of rudimentary telephone system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I used to listen to it back when Alan Greene hosted it, it was hilarious, mainly because of Alan Greene's subtle piss-taking of callers.

Can't imagine what it'd be like with Robbie Savage. *shudders*

They deserved it I'm sure.

Alan Greene has voice that sounds like a mix of someone rubbing cutlery together while firing up a 56k modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I used to listen to it but Robbie Savage is absolutely appalling. How he gets so much airtime to divulge us all with his drivel is beyond me.

His spat with John Terry was a joke. He slags off Terry and Savage absolutely wouldn't let it go despite the fact that he can slag off whoever he likes without being called on it.

He's a joke of a "pundit".

One of the funnier moments of that show was this:

I suggest you go back to Dancing on Ice...

• Advertisement
Advertisement