Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand by for Titanfall...2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

For anybody playing the titanfall 2 beta I created a boards network called Boards ie . It's private so only boardsies can join. I created it on PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Can't put my finger on it, but so far nowhere near as good as the first game. Put a lot of hours into Titanfall 1, and still play it. Game doesn't have the fluid movement of the first, map design isn't great either. And the kill streak, you have to build up before a Titan drops is a step backwards.

After 5 games, still hadn't seen a Titan drop for either team. Made me just want to go back, and play Titanfall 1 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Yeah I'm the same. Haven't played much of it but finding it to be a step backwards from the original. Very disappointing so far, but need to give in more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Its launches one week after Battlefield 1 and EA is publishing both Battlefield and Titanfall 2 :eek:

I have never seen a suicide mission like this before. They really should have released it February or March of 2017. I predict this is not going to go well.

The pre-alpha seems like good fun. When it comes to the pilots they have made good improvements following on from Titanfall 1. The titans however do not feel right. The HUD is very busy on screen, its feels more like pilot vs pilot with the Titans not making much of an impact in each game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

trixiebust wrote: »
    Can't put my finger on it, but so far nowhere near as good as the first game. Put a lot of hours into Titanfall 1, and still play it. Game doesn't have the fluid movement of the first, map design isn't great either. And the kill streak, you have to build up before a Titan drops is a step backwards.

After 5 games, still hadn't seen a Titan drop for either team. Made me just want to go back, and play Titanfall 1 again!

Were you playing in Pilot vs Pilot? there's no titans in that game mode.

I agree though, something feels a bit off compared to the first game. Grappling hook is fun though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Couple of issues with it I know that it's a pre alpha build so can't really fault it to much but when you are trying to party up with friends it's a bit of a pain as at the end of the game part breaks up and you get thrown into different lobbies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Were you playing in Pilot vs Pilot? there's no titans in that game mode.

I agree though, something feels a bit off compared to the first game. Grappling hook is fun though.

Yeah I was. Didn't realise there was no Titan's in that. Hope I'm wrong, because I still love jumping back into 1, but ended up turning this off after an hour.

The kill streak for a Titan though, favours the better players. They get a better kill streak, Titan lands. The beauty of the first was, even an average player would still have a chance of kills, because a Titan would drop anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Their releasing this game at a stupid time alongside battlefield.If it was pushed back to February or March it would have some chance.The last game was fantastic but once they introduced titan burn cards that was the last straw for me, particularity because i played LTS alot. Played some of the beta but the party system being broken just got annoying.
    Still alot of fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really don't like the game/BETA as it currently stands, and I loved Titanfall. It feels like they're compromising everything that was great about Titanfall and trying to be Call of Duty. They've slowed the player movement significantly and it just doesn't feel right.

Battlefield and Call of Duty have owned the shooter marketplace for years and to my mind both grew stale but Titanfall felt different. It was trying new things, you felt like you were a smaller part of a bigger battle and even if you weren't great at competitive shooters, you could still feel like you were contributing to your team's efforts.

There's no evidence of that in the BETA, the Titans are less impactful and the balance of the game just seems way off. As a player you feel much less survivable and like CoD, it's now appears to be all about running out, getting a kill or two - or three if you're really good - getting shot and immidiately respawning and repeating. In the original Titanfall I could sometimes go 10 minutes without dying as the AI bots would let you slowly build up your Titanfall and you could pick off a couple of the other team along the way. Now it feels like everything is being fueled into CoD like chokepoints.

It's the first of two BETA weekends and hopefull next weekend will see a return to that more expansive and open gameplay but as things stand, I've gone from being really excited for the release of Titanfall 2 to already feeling disappointed - rightly or wrongly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah just played a little bit there and it feels like they've diluted the whole experience down.

What I loved about the first was just its sheer focus and simplicity. This, so far anyway, falls victim to there needing to be MORE when MORE is not needed. Too much going on in the games, and it I simply couldn't get that sense of flow and rhythm you got from the first the second you picked up a controller.

I think super_furry got it right. Titanfall is one of the few shooters I've played where I often survived entire matches only getting killed once or twice. Here the pilots feel feeble, and the Titans weaker too. The art design and UI feel busier too, and I felt it was an overload of info. The maps felt more constrained, less clear. Plus they've ruined rodeoing, or at least made it less impactful - I dig the way the battery works, but other than that it feels like they've nerfed a key mechanic :(

My fear is this will go the way of Call of Duty. Modern Warfare was lightning in a bottle, an adventurous but laser sharp take on the multiplayer shooter. MW2 threw in the kitchen sink and lost a lot in the process, even if the essence was still there. This seems the same sort of deal, but it is just a demo - here's hoping the full game doesn't lose what the first game had by trying to be a bigger, bigger, bigger sequel.

Grapple hook is cool, at least *shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Played last night and today, main things for me is the level design feels very poor - no real flow going from one side of the map to the other, all the indoors are small so no jumping off walls causing mayhem only sliding which is a nice addition.
    I imagine the HUD will change, no need to tell me which gun I am using or even what is on L1 and R1. Autoaim seems to be too helpful at the moment - I am killing guys from way too far away - it feels great but deep down I know Im not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My first impression was pretty positive, but the more i played, the more stuff annoyed me, the orange outline around enemies, the constant running out in the open to where the grunts and spectres were coming in on the drop pods, Vacant levels etc. Also, the AI on the grunts was atrocious. I've a theory thats probably way off the mark, but I'll throw it out for discussion - the AI in titanfall 1 was cloud based - has the move away from grunts being all over the map / the alteration to the Attrition game mode come about to cater for the PS4 which I presume doesnt have access to that service?

otherwise, the game has gone from a must buy to an EA access vault effort for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

was there actually grunts in this Demo ? I thought the maps seemed a bit more empty as it was only Players.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

limitedIQ wrote: »
    was there actually grunts in this Demo ? I thought the maps seemed a bit more empty as it was only Players.

They were in bounty hunt mode but they only spawned on the control points.

Maybe it was just because it was a Demo, but I found the Maps a bit of a let down. Not enough continuous high spaces\roofs and no flow to the maps.
    But I still thought it was cool.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They were in bounty hunt mode but they only spawned on the control points.

Ah, i was mostly playing Hardpoint

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have to say I was expecting a little bit more from this, Time to spawn titan is crazy long.

I found if you cap/amp the first hardpoints then just kill a few people you get a titan pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I enjoyed the first one but wasn't mad on this one unfortunately, seems the Titans were few and far between and the controls were a bit off for me, even changing them wasn't the best...

Maybe the game mode did them no favours...

That's not to say the game won't improve, I hope they take the feedback on board and delay the release and polish it into something better, doubtful at this late stage though...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fieldog wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first one but wasn't mad on this one unfortunately, seems the Titans were few and far between and the controls were a bit off for me, even changing them wasn't the best...

Maybe the game mode did them no favours...

That's not to say the game won't improve, I hope they take the feedback on board and delay the release and polish it into something better, doubtful at this late stage though...

It's not going to happen. These public betas are just a exercise in developing the hype train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Picked up the first game at lunch yesterday and finally got some playtime today.

Fun as all hell, still a good few folk playing and looks like there's enough active for each game mode. Definitely gona put some time into it before the sequel comes out at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Respawn say they're going to change quite a few things based on the "passionate" (:pac:) feedback: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

HUD customisation, reintroduced Titan timer, faster movement etc... Sound like positive changes all-in-all, even if I do fear the joyous simplicity and accessibility of the first may not be coming back in favour of a more explicitly 'competitive' experience. Good to hear a 'test' being used for that purpose rather than just a demo though, and I still hope this will emerge as a worthy successor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

None of that sounds particularly encouraging :( I'm out of the country atm so wasn't able to participate in the beta. I do hope they roll the improvements and give us a chance to see them in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just had a quick game there and getting a titan definitely happened a lot quicker this time compared to last weekends test

Much improved over the last alpha test.

I play Hardpoint so I cannot comment on other modes.

I like the Titan rodeo process, jump on an enemy titan once and you pull out one of their batteries. You can then place this into a friendly titan to get their health up. Jump on an enemy titan again and you throw a grenade into the slot were the battery was.

The time it takes to get a titan has reduced which is great. Its spot on now. There is an intensity there that was missing the first weekend.

It's a definite improvement over last week's test. Just feels better overall, the little tweaks ensuring a fairer, punchier experience.

The HUD is still a bloody mess of information where what you want is often obscured by streams of orange or blue. I might just be getting used to it, but the average lifespan seems shorter, with more camping and other irritants. Definitely more of a 'competitive' atmosphere, which IMO is a shame. Overall, there's a hard-to-define spark missing compared to the first. But given they managed to make notable changes in a week, I'm quietly confident it will be refined further ahead of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Had another blast at this tonight and a much more enjoyable experience, they added another map, Forwardbase Kodai. You can know have a few titan spawns per game so keeps ya interested and because I was ranking up I got access to additional weapons. Not sure I'll make the day 1 purchase since its competing with Battlefield 1 but maybe if it drops in price after that.

The release date is awful, 1 week after Battlefield One launches. I'll consider picking it up next March if there is even a player base at that stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Loved TF1 on PC, we had a good community playing it, had a weekly streaming event every Saturday and had the majority of the TF community tuning in but truth be known that's because the community was already dead and we were one of a very few streaming and actively playing at that point.
    It pains me to say it but TF2 will fail just like to first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Played a few games but I'm still not feeling it tbh. Id like to check out the single player but I can wait for it to turn up in the EA Access vault for that.

Advertisement