Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand by for Titanfall...2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Does anyone know the difference between the full game and beta? It's starting to annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just played a bit of this today. It's just as solid as the first. Looks pretty, runs wonderfully. I feel BF1 is going to be replaced quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the campaign starts off on a meh tutorial type stage that isn't that great.

After that though you start to understand why all the reviews are praising the inventive level design. It gets absolutely bonkers but in a good way!

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well the campaign starts off on a meh tutorial type stage that isn't that great.

After that though you start to understand why all the reviews are praising the inventive level design. It gets absolutely bonkers but in a good way!

Looking forward to it. Argos again at 56 quid. Collecting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

What's the story with these networks? I don't really get it, is it just matchmaking lobbies or can we have an Irish/boards network? What is the benefit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    What's the story with these networks? I don't really get it, is it just matchmaking lobbies or can we have an Irish/boards network? What is the benefit?

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/networks/

Worth setting up an Irish one maybe
    Must take a look myself n see is there an Irish one or else start one for here .

CptMackey wrote: »
    https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/networks/

Worth setting up an Irish one maybe
    Must take a look myself n see is there an Irish one or else start one for here .

There is a boards.ie [BIE] network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

What's with the terrible film grain? Having it there is bizarre but not having an option to remove it is madness. I'll stick to BF until there's a patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

What's with the terrible film grain? Having it there is bizarre but not having an option to remove it is madness. I'll stick to BF until there's a patch.

Sounds odd, but if you turn brightness down to 0 and enable TSAA, it pretty much gets rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Playing through it myself. I skipped titanfall 1 because the beta didnt wow me and when I played titanfall 2 at EGX I was indifferent but the reports on the single player tempted to give it a chance. Even if its multiplayer is short lived I have Battlefield for that.

So far I am happy with my purchase the single player is genuinely a lot of fun, I havnt seen this much effort in level design since the half life series.
    I'm on the time travel level and well f*cking done to the designers, this is an awesomely clever little level.

• Advertisement

• Fantastic First couple of levels. Recommend playing on Hard at least.
    The pacing is expertly put together and the variation is something I haven't seen for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fantastic First couple of levels. Recommend playing on Hard at least.
    The pacing is expertly put together and the variation is something I haven't seen for quite some time.
    From what you can seen does Titanfall 2 support HDR on the One S?

• From what you can seen does Titanfall 2 support HDR on the One S?

Afraid not.
    But to note: Graphically it looks great and performance is excellent.
    Sound design is high point so far though from a technical standpoint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Afraid not.
    But to note: Graphically it looks great and performance is excellent.
    Sound design is high point so far though from a technical standpoint.

Who ever is doing sound design at EA is doing a best in class job of it. Ever since the 360 era with the Battlefield games and Dead Space it's just been incredible.

completed campaign. 5 hours. 1 hour longer then battlefield. I'd say the two campaigns may have been developed with some sort of communication either from above or between them as both seem to be working off the same manual. Short visually distinct levels with unique gimmicks for that level alone. Bigger focus on character interaction and less on the overall plot and rock solid gunplay

Solid gameplay, story is both ass and somewhat fun. It's sort of like a halo campaign in many ways, Halo 2/3 were the two titles that kept popping into my head as I played, small bit of half life 2 as well. With its sci fi tropes and lone stranded super soldier for most of its run, Like Halo the universe/Lore always felt like it was just out of reach to me, that too much was being said with the assumption I knew things I didnt, something that has plagued the halo franchise since forever and it was in full force here, but like Halo you really only cared about the central 2 characters with the man/machine or man/AI relationship, everything else is just an excuse for gameplay. And I will give it one up on halo in that it really embraced its mechanics for most of the campaign making it a very diverse campaign if short.

Every mission has something unique about it, some go to town with brief new gimmicks and they're all keep moving.

Unlike Mirrors Edge (first one) I never felt fully challenged with any of the parkour, which is both a good thing as it kept the pace up, but also a bad thing as the difficulty hit a point around the 3rd mission *the shortcut* and never peaked beyond that. The advice to up the difficulty is worth considering.

But the key thing to take away is that as early as halfway through level 1 I was feeling like a real bad ass and enjoying myself bouncing around killing people left right and centre. I pretty much liked all the infantry foot fights and I feel if I was to replay some levels I'd go in very different routes which are clearly on offer. I liked killing people with the shotgun, with the assault rifle, with the sniper rifle. All felt satisfying and all could be used in a variety of ways.

The titan combat was not so exciting but still satisfying. I never felt comfortable with each new loadout until after I was picking up another one, but that may have been me, I did feel like pausing the game to read the menu on the loadout because I wanted to keep moving but you really need to sometimes to know what the hell each loadout does. The boss fights were downplayed which was a shame, though in fairness the game doesnt really set the opposing mercenary team up very well. You get one early cutscene that shows 3 of them, but theres in fact 6 of them and the ones never introduced make up most of the game resulting in a shrug of *who?* when they show up and you have an arena titan fight that's pretty easy to push through.

In conclusion I had fun which is all that was important. Not amazing, not brilliant but fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm happy that people seem to enjoy this and it's getting good user reviews. Too bad the gaming media is dumb as **** and seems to want this game to fail with articles like 'Why Titanfall 2 will fail'.

I enjoyed the first one despite it's flaws and it's early death, it really deserves a good sequel that hopefully becomes popular.

Are the maps bigger this version? I know it's early days but I'm not really learning the maps. They feel like a sprawl.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I'm happy that people seem to enjoy this and it's getting good user reviews. Too bad the gaming media is dumb as **** and seems to want this game to fail with articles like 'Why Titanfall 2 will fail'.

I enjoyed the first one despite it's flaws and it's early death, it really deserves a good sequel that hopefully becomes popular.

There seems to be a lot of this rubbish alright for some reason. The new cod is trash unless it changes dramatically sense the beta yet it doest get articles on how it's bad. Strange. I enjoy it and I hope it lasts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Too bad the gaming media is dumb as **** and seems to want this game to fail with articles like 'Why Titanfall 2 will fail'.

Do you mind linking to these articles? Certainly in reviews from most notable outlets the game has for the most part been very enthusiastically received, which doesn't suggest any sort of 'wanting the game to fail'.

Of course, concerns should be raised about the game's misjudged release date, and those fears sadly seem to have been borne out by the underwhelming launch sales: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-31-titanfall-2-fails-to-beat-titanfall-launch-sales-in-uk (Eurogamer, of course, having dubbed the game 'essential'). One would hope it has some 'legs' in terms of sales.

There seems to be a lot of this rubbish alright for some reason. The new cod is trash unless it changes dramatically sense the beta yet it doest get articles on how it's bad. Strange. I enjoy it and I hope it lasts.

I think the media is exhausted from predicting the demise of COD and being shown up for it, so they are holding any such judgement until it actually happens.

Cod has been predicted as dead from as early as MW3 when battlefield 3 went up against it to Ghosts

and while in the case of both those games it deserved to die a painful death it didnt.

I think the most interesting article someone pointed out was that while Cod IW got a very negative response to its trailer and beta, it has had the usual positive feedback to its story trailer and the pre orders are still pretty high.

It could get carried through this by its fanbase who play these games for their campaigns and their desire for a return to the Modern warfare campaign in the remaster.

• Advertisement

I've a feeling IW will be a decent game. I enjoyed Advanced Warfare, the exo suits gave the game a bit more silliness to play around with the stale formula and I can see IW being even more ridiculous.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've a feeling IW will be a decent game. I enjoyed Advanced Warfare, the exo suits gave the game a bit more silliness to play around with the stale formula and I can see IW being even more ridiculous.

I'm incredibly cautious because it's infinity ward who are making it not sledgehammer who did Advanced warfare or Treyarch who did black ops 3

which is fitting to bring up on a titanfall thread

But infinity ward themselves have not done a *decent* cod campaign since modern warfare 2.

MW3 was a waste of a climax for the modern warfare trilogy and the less said about Ghosts the better.

There are some signs of potential here and there with the reports that it's gone for a mass effect style campaign but infinity ward have shown no talent since their back was broken post modern warfare 2.

If anything the success of the titantfall 2 campaign hints that most of the talent for the 2 modern warfare campaigns went to respawn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I'm incredibly cautious because it's infinity ward who are making it not sledgehammer who did Advanced warfare or Treyarch who did black ops 3

which is fitting to bring up on a titanfall thread

But infinity ward themselves have not done a *decent* cod campaign since modern warfare 2.

MW3 was a waste of a climax for the modern warfare trilogy and the less said about Ghosts the better.

There are some signs of potential here and there with the reports that it's gone for a mass effect style campaign but infinity ward have shown no talent since their back was broken post modern warfare 2.

If anything the success of the titantfall 2 campaign hints that most of the talent for the 2 modern warfare campaigns went to respawn

I'm several iterations behind on the CoD series so I only got to Ghosts a couple of weeks ago but I have to disagree here. I felt the campaign was actually quite good fun, definitely more enjoyable than MW3 and head and shoulders above the BF4 campaign I played the week previous. While it did represent a missed opportunity in terms of what they could have done with the US forces on the backfoot and the Ghosts team being a proper guerilla outfit, to say it's not even decent or that there's no talent at the studio is, imo, more than a bit harsh.

Look at it like this, there was no massive shakeup at Treyarch between the Black Ops games and yet, despite the varying reception to each of those iterations, they still delivered the well received BLOPS3. Similarly, this will be IW's first entry in the series since Activision increased the development time between each iteration so I'm definitely interested to see what the newer and hopefully more settled team can do.

You wont find much disagreement with me on the quality of BF4's single player (if we were to argue campaigns that got treated too harshly I'd argue BF3 is better then most give it credit for) but personally I found Ghosts to be a slog on some levels and repetitive in others. It has those few brief moments of brilliance, much like how MW3 has that one moment or two. But I find it bogs itself down too much and in direct contrast for what I praise in Titanfall 2 the levels overstay their welcome, especially ones that have you pushing through Cod's classic infinite soldier trigger lines.

If you have BF1 you now get a Red Baron paint job for Ion Titan. Sort of interesting given how people were talking about the release date clashes. Looks badass either way.

https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/789552391129600000

Played a good but more of this last night. It's very hard game to stop playing. There is a boards group on ps4 in the networks section . IF people see me online I'd be up for teaming up.

Psn LiquidGoldMonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Played a good but more of this last night. It's very hard game to stop playing. There is a boards group on ps4 in the networks section . IF people see me online I'd be up for teaming up.

Psn LiquidGoldMonkey

Will add you later on, benji87FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Just joined the ps4 network myself, also game for grouping up. Psn: goon_magee

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Finished the campaign there this evening. Absolutely spectacular stuff, sure the story is simple, but also effective. The real star is the gameplay, and the pace with which the campaign throws new ideas into the mix made it one of the freshest and most eclectic FPS campaigns I've ever played. Finishd on hard, and found it incredibly easy which is the only complaint I have, so looking forward to playing through on master to see does it make the gun fights any less trivial.

• Advertisement

Count me in: Superdigzi

Advertisement