Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive for home network

Options
  • 11-04-2016 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all

I am looking for recommendations for a 4-5 Tb external hard drive. I want to plug it into my home router and set up a network so I can store my music and movies on it and then stream them through my smart tvs. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just get whatever, it doesnt matter. Your router will limit SMB speeds so whatever drive you buy will be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Some routers have restrictions on file formats, so if it's set to FAT/FAT32 you will have problems with files over 4GB in size. Maybe consider a NAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I got a wd my cloud. Its brilliant.

On top of being a hard drive it acts as a backup device so you can download an app on your phone and all your pics and movies etc will get backed up to it. You can also stream stuff from it when you are out and about.

Has facility to do apple backup time machine also which has come in handy in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevh1987

Thanks for the responses. Been doing more research on here and in the networking forum and i think a NAS is definitely the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kevh1987 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. Been doing more research on here and in the networking forum and i think a NAS is definitely the way to go.

Something like this within your budget?
    Buffalo LS220D0402-EU 4TB LinkStation 220 2 Bay Desktop NAS https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ISM5DI6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_0dOexbB3CP7KQ

You could also buy a Synology or Qnap NAS and add drives up to the capacity you need, this way you can buy a 3 or 4 bay and leave space for future addition of more drives. You can also run software like Plex, sonarr, couchpotato and deluge on these and do your downloading directly on it. All depends on your budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement