Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone Mounts

Options
  • 11-04-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen any decent smartphone mounts lately? Preferably cheap ones for big phones, I looked a year ago but anything capable of handling a big phone was usually a crappy design that couldn't withstand bumps in the road.

Anything that looks like this is guaranteed to be awful with a big phone, the mechanism that lets you click it to adjust the size is never robust enough for roadbike abuse:

41DcqsURuSL._SX300_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

I used this topeak one for a few months with an iPhone 5s and it worked well. I had one slow motion fall related to going clipless and the phone stayed attached to the bike.

It was the stem-cap one I used. There's a fairly solid clicking-in of the phone to the mount. I still use the case for the phone itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Jaysus would you not want to be getting away from the phone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

terrydel wrote: »
    Jaysus would you not want to be getting away from the phone!!
    Presumably the OP is running Strava or whatever on the phone. I don't think it's for taking calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

I just ordered one of these, mainly as its not cumbersome and claims to be able to fit any smartphone.

Finns Smartphone Mount

It hasn't arrived yet but if you're not in a hurry i can give you an update in a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah and it would be nice to be able to put it vertical and turn on the camera every once in a while aswell, just wont be used enough to justify Gopros and Garmins.

Dont think the Topeak one would cut it tbh, seems very iPhone focused, thanks though.

dogsears wrote: »
    I just ordered one of these, mainly as its not cumbersome and claims to be able to fit any smartphone.

Finns Smartphone Mount

It hasn't arrived yet but if you're not in a hurry i can give you an update in a few days?
    Thanks, I bought a crappier version of that in Aldi today and it just doesnt work, that one seems stretchier though so might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

I have the quad-lock. quadlockcase.com/

Expensive but excellent. They do a universal adapter kit that will fit anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Keep your phone in your pocket. Garmin 520 is what u need

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

This is probably not suitable at all, but Aldi got bike phone holders in yesterday.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-10-apr/products-detail-page/ps/p/bike-accessories/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Would risk getting the phone wet/damaged on a bike mount. Some other bike computer would be a better solution

Fishy1 wrote: »
    This is probably not suitable at all, but Aldi got bike phone holders in yesterday.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-10-apr/products-detail-page/ps/p/bike-accessories/
    Bought one today and its utterly useless, defective design.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

I bought the Tigra® MountCase for my iPhone 6 plus, which also includes a Waterproof hardcase.

So far, I've found it really secure. The phone can be viewed in both "portrait" or "landscape" and locks into either position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've used the quadlock mounts and case for a few years now, pretty solid and reliable but the range of phones is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dogsears wrote: »

Finns Smartphone Mount

I have one. It works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I got this one on ebay the other day. I'll be trying it out next weekend over 300k in the Kerry mountains...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Bought Aldi one yesterday. Fits iPhone 4 with some effort. I'd only be using it for roller sessions. But once on it stayed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In my pre garmin days, I used one of these...

http://www.roswheel.eu/roswheel-shop/all-items/new-full-colour-phone-frame-bag-including-free-waterproof-rain-cover

Just used my usual waterproof phone cover if it was raining in it (an aldi zip lock bag).

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

I normally use a Garmin on an out front SRAM mount, but made one of these for indoor training.

http://blog.trainerroad.com/custom-phone-mount/

Not designed for outdoor use but, it seems pretty solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Quad lock is excellent

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I got this one on ebay the other day. I'll be trying it out next weekend over 300k in the Kerry mountains...

Well, it behaved well. I had done a cutout in the padding for the phone to sit in (the mount comes full of foam padding layers) and it was handy to press the unlock button by squeezing the mount. There was only one short shower so I didn't get to test the waterproofness. There was room for a (right-angle) usb charging cable within the case.

That looks absolutely perfect, pity its too small for a 5.5" screen, thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thargor wrote: »
    That looks absolutely perfect, pity its too small for a 5.5" screen, thanks though.

Lidl have sold cases with see through front covers that take larger phones. Worked fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Doesn't rule 24 apply here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah, I've used the Quad lock system. Excellent I have to say. Have a mount for the bike and the car...

http://www.quadlockcase.com/

Mine is a 4.5" screen and 5" diagonal overall. There's loads of room left over in the case. I would think a 6" diagonal should fit. I'll measure later...

Took a punt on a similar one to the one I returned to Aldi back when I made this thread and it arrived on Friday, this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262192186340

Its pretty damn good tbh, perfect amount of stretch for my 5.5" Oneplus so that it holds it securely without feeling like its going to snap the phone in half like the Aldi version.

Looks like Lidl have the good bag style ones next Thursday:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=42088

Advertisement