Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITX build

Options
  • 11-04-2016 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys I have put together this build for a itx build if someone could scan and make sure I have not missed some value anywhere.

I am ordering from mindfactory and i have hard drives already and I also have a temporary video card that will get me going until i get a 970 or something next month and im planning on getting the fractal design node 304 mitx case.

its mostly going to be used for htpc and gaming at 1080p for next few years.

11l6adj.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

Solid build - maybe go for 2400MHz ram and a slightly better PSU (EVGA G2 or similar) if your budget includes it.
    Also the 970 might not be up to 1080p in 4-5 years time, but you can always just upgrade.

Also on the GPU front, with the new series of graphics cards being released in the next couple months it might be worth your while to wait, you could get something better for the same price, or they'll lower the price of the 970.

If you need it now though, this is a good build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Solid build - maybe go for 2400MHz ram and a slightly better PSU (EVGA G2 or similar) if your budget includes it.
    Also the 970 might not be up to 1080p in 4-5 years time, but you can always just upgrade.

Also on the GPU front, with the new series of graphics cards being released in the next couple months it might be worth your while to wait, you could get something better for the same price, or they'll lower the price of the 970.

The motherboard dont support faster ram if im right?? I'll see what I can do on the psu end of it. I need a modular psu as the case is very tight in that end of it.

And ill see how long I can hold out on gpu but I know i will get itchy waiting but even if so I will probably upgrade it easily enough in couple years if need be.

For 20 euro extra I have gone with a 6600 cpu instead of one I have pictured would i be better putting that money into a psu instead?

Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

jayo26 wrote: »

The motherboard dont support faster ram if im right?? I'll see what I can do on the psu end of it. I need a modular psu as the case is very tight in that end of it.

And ill see how long I can hold out on gpu but I know i will get itchy waiting but even if so I will probably upgrade it easily enough in couple years if need be.

For 20 euro extra I have gone with a 6600 cpu instead of one I have pictured would i be better putting that money into a psu instead?

Thanks for reply.
    My mistake! Yeah stick with the 2133, it's not a big difference anyway.

You won't see very much of a difference with the 6600 vs the 6500 in gaming - unless you need a bit more power, I'd put it into the GPU or the PSU.
    The Corsair CX series is renowned for being a pretty sub-par PSU - if you search PSU tiers on google images, there's a great list that'll explain it all (sorry I can't link for some reason!) I'd go with the EVGA G2 650W, but anything you can afford in tier 1/2 is great.

Again, even with the 970 it's a decent build. Best of luck!

Ok thanks for That.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

beQuiet's Pure Power 8 I believe offers 500, 600 and 700W modular solutions for cheap. It's either Pure power, or Straight power, they keep changing their line-ups.
    As for the GPU, 970 should be fine, possible upgrade when DX12 is the norm, as we can all see how gimped the 970 really is now.
    The CPU is fine at the 6500, even the 6400 does the job. The motherboard is good also, as is the single stick of RAM.
    The Fractal case is fine, it fits most things. It's a bit loud in terms of the fans need to spin a lot to push heat, but this shouldn't bother someone. If you wanted quieter operation, take a look at some ITX low-profile CPU coolers, as the stock Intel cooler is by the far the loudest fan in any case.
    Also, if you can get an SSD, get one. You only mentioned Hard drives, (which are still good for storage) but a build like this could make great use of an M.2 SSD, or a cheaper SATA3 SSD if the budget is tight.

Good luck with the build!

• Advertisement

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    beQuiet's Pure Power 8 I believe offers 500, 600 and 700W modular solutions for cheap. It's either Pure power, or Straight power, they keep changing their line-ups.
    As for the GPU, 970 should be fine, possible upgrade when DX12 is the norm, as we can all see how gimped the 970 really is now.
    The CPU is fine at the 6500, even the 6400 does the job. The motherboard is good also, as is the single stick of RAM.
    The Fractal case is fine, it fits most things. It's a bit loud in terms of the fans need to spin a lot to push heat, but this shouldn't bother someone. If you wanted quieter operation, take a look at some ITX low-profile CPU coolers, as the stock Intel cooler is by the far the loudest fan in any case.
    Also, if you can get an SSD, get one. You only mentioned Hard drives, (which are still good for storage) but a build like this could make great use of an M.2 SSD, or a cheaper SATA3 SSD if the budget is tight.

Good luck with the build!

Thanks for that.

I've switched the cpu for a 6400
    Ive picked a seasonic 600 watt modular and kept the rest the same.

Sorry I didn't mention the ssd I have one here too and im planning on getting a decent cooler too i might just get a liquid cpu cooler down the line.

Sounds perfect then!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Have a look at some builds on youtube with the case you're getting. I built an ITX rig about 2 months ago and feck me it was infuriating building it! The major components were simple (CPU, RAM, GPU, Cooler, HDD) but the smaller bits like leads for the power button and usb headers to the MB were horrible!

I love the rig though, so easy to bring to LANs every weekend and it takes up barely any space at home when I move it to the sitting room for multiplayer games on the tv.

TheSegal wrote: »
    Have a look at some builds on youtube with the case you're getting. I built an ITX rig about 2 months ago and feck me it was infuriating building it! The major components were simple (CPU, RAM, GPU, Cooler, HDD) but the smaller bits like leads for the power button and usb headers to the MB were horrible!

I love the rig though, so easy to bring to LANs every weekend and it takes up barely any space at home when I move it to the sitting room for multiplayer games on the tv.

Yhh i have watched a few builds with it and it looks pretty good, the top and sides come away as one piece so your pretty much left with a shell to start with. I don't mind it been fidgety that can be half the fun ha.

What case did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I used a thermaltake Core V1, same principle as yours in that I could remove all of the panels except the front and back. Great little case and the huge 220mm fan at the front is amazing for cooling while being quiet at the same time.

Looking at that fractal node case it looks great! Best of luck with the build

• Advertisement

TheSegal wrote: »
    I used a thermaltake Core V1, same principle as yours in that I could remove all of the panels except the front and back. Great little case and the huge 220mm fan at the front is amazing for cooling while being quiet at the same time.

Looking at that fractal node case it looks great! Best of luck with the build

I was actually looking at that case too its a great little case also with the swappable panels.

I read somewhere that it would be loud because of all the mesh and it put me off but obviously you have no problems.

Think it is slightly bigger then the node but very nice builds.

Just placed my order there they didn't have the 600w seasonic g series in Stock so I switched it for the 550w and put the cpu at the 6500 again all came to 452 euro.

The 550 should be ok to run a gtx 970 shouldn't it? It's a good quality.

How long do mindfactory usually take to deliver to Ireland.

Placed my order in shopping basket last week and never checked bloody stock this morning before I ordered just realised the ram aint in Stock until next week.

Sent them off an email in English and Google translated it to German also to exchange parts dont know how well that will go.

Emailed me back within 20 minutes to confirm the change would be ok and gave me refund via PayPal you can't ask for any better then that.

Noice! Good luck with your build!
    (The PSU will be fine for a 970)

Well got all my goodies today....

o06oo0.jpg

The case was handy to work with plenty of space.....

2wqv586.jpg

Stock cooler let's down tho look of the motherboard so will probably get a tower cooler soonish....

2r7m1b4.jpg

Cable management wouldnt be my strong point but plenty of free space in middle for airflow....

207t76g.jpg

27ypv6f.jpg

Love the look of the outside case nice and tidy and the fans run really quiet even turned up high on fan controller.

2v1vtqp.jpg

And next up ill prob pick up a cheap second hand 750ti over the weekend for around 100 quid it will do me for few months until we see what new cards come along..

Thanks for your help guys....

Advertisement