Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with tennants next door

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

So I've had a productive morning, spoke to a couple of neighbours who are going to write letters to back my case. Had a good conversation with the community guard who has given me details on how to get a log from that night. And I've started my dispute case with the PRTB.

The guard advised if the intimidation happens again to ring immediately and log the call.

To whoever suggested the LINKEDIN check, we had already done that last night and thats how we got the MD (for Ireland) and HR managers details.

Is there anyone here who could help me draft a letter to the employer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Is there anyone here who could help me draft a letter to the employer?

A solicitor might be the best option to write the letter. I got angry reading your OP. I'd get the letter and head straight to head office before I spend another week listening to your neighbors.

I know that I personally wouldn't leave their office without them carrying out some action. Not promising action,I mean actually doing something. If they aren't out by Friday I'd be all over social media and the mainstream media.

If you think this crap is going on this weekend then find a journalist to spend Friday and Saturday night at your house to see for themselves. If mainstream media are not interested then find one from a local paper or a student journalist or a freelance one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

OP, regarding contacting the company - it would be really useful if you had some CCTV footage of them behaving like this while in branded company clothing. If you could get that then you would be in a very strong position as they would be representing the company and you could even look to sue the company for harassment by their employees.

If the property is let to the company and not the individuals then it is almost totally the company's responsibility to sort the issue out. The landlord should try to solve the problem but in reality most Landlords are helpless against tenants who don't care and the PRTB will most likely come down on the side of the tenants.

AlanG wrote: »
    OP, regarding contacting the company - it would be really useful if you had some CCTV footage of them behaving like this while in branded company clothing. If you could get that then you would be in a very strong position as they would be representing the company and you could even look to sue the company for harassment by their employees.

If the property is let to the company and not the individuals then it is almost totally the company's responsibility to sort the issue out. The landlord should try to solve the problem but in reality most Landlords are helpless against tenants who don't care and the PRTB will most likely come down on the side of the tenants.

The agent told us at the beginning of this mess that it was a company rental, I'm not 100% sure the company are paying for the house but I'm assuming they are. when I was sorting their bins and broadband one of the guys made a comment about the company paying for that also.

I've no footage of the fight unfortunately, absolutely raging I didnt record it but to be honest we were terrified that night, these guys are not small and they were killing each other. I was not stepping outside the house!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was a landlord in a similar situation to this and it took a long time to get the antisocial tenant out of the house. Was still treated like a pariah by the prtb when I took a case to try to get restitution for the extensive damage she caused.
    They essentially told me to drop it and let her away with it with the 'advice' that the landlord won't win. This despite numerous Garda incidents, neighbour's cars smashed up, neighbourhood being terrorised etc.
    7 day eviction is a dangerous thing to attempt as there is a high burden of proof required to justify it. The benefit of the doubt is generally given to tenant in these cases ime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

OP, out of curiosity, why did you "soundproof" the house? Have all of your neighbours been noisy?

I don't want to turn this on its head, but the fact is - from what you say, it sounds like except for the Gardai getting involved when the fight broke, there are only you constant complaint emails to go by; If I was in your position, however, I would amass as much "hard evidence" about their activities as I could - not to mention witness accounts.

These guys are likely to be annoying more neighbours than just you, so you could try initiating some joint complaint; In any case, it'd be advisable to get other residents ready to testify for you.

Also, try to record some proof - loud music in the middle of the night, parties, shouting? Record a video from inside your home that shows how bad the situation is; Take footage and/or pictures of the bottles strewn around and of any other disturbance.

The reason is simple: if you really go to their employer and they lose their jobs, you can bet that at least a few of them will take you to court for defamation / harassment...and you want to have some hard facts to show, rather than emails.

H3llR4iser wrote: »

The reason is simple: if you really go to their employer and they lose their jobs, you can bet that at least a few of them will take you to court for defamation / harassment...and you want to have some hard facts to show, rather than emails.

This hasn't a notion of happening for a start the case would get nowhere as its obviously nonsense, they have no way of proving it was the op that made the complaint and they will just go back to their home country as it sounds very much like they were moved over especially for the job.

It's no wonder people get away with so much these days when you have people afraid to actually go for the juggler and really deal with situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thanks I might use that method as a very last resort:)

I wouldnt mind if they had decent taste in music but its pure sh!te, all that stuff young people listen to:D
    5uspect wrote: »
    I can't offer any real advice, however perhaps this will lighten your mood momentarily:
    http://lifehacker.com/5852903/silence-noisy-neighbors-by-transmitting-signals-through-their-own-speakers

Nothing like Flight of the Valkyries when you've got a hangover.

I have heard of people in this situation who've had their own 'party' at 6am or 7am on the morning after the night before - or perhaps left their own music running loudly in a loop 'accidently' while they leave the house early in the morning. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

RainyDay wrote: »
    I have heard of people in this situation who've had their own 'party' at 6am or 7am on the morning after the night before - or perhaps left their own music running loudly in a loop 'accidently' while they leave the house early in the morning. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

I would strongly suggest not doing this and not lowering yourself to their level.

• Advertisement

Thanks again everyone for all the input and suggestions.

As it happens another neighbour approached me yesterday about the music on Saturday night, they were coming off night shift at 1.30am and live directly opposite these people.

But we have made a llittle bit of progress, an email came in yesterday evening from the agent to say they've issued 30days notice to terminate the lease. I'm a bit sceptical because she also told us she gave them a written warning in Feb but then backtracked a few days later and said it was just a verbal warning. I'm still gathering my paperwork together in case it doesn't happen.

I'll live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Wrong. They are legally liable towards their neighbours.
    That the PRTB took x amount of time to resolve the issue- or their agent cooperated at first and then stonewalled the neighbours is irrelevant- the landlord is in fact liable. This is why landlords should be careful about choosing their tenants- if they fill it with students/interns or a crowd of youngsters who like to party- be it on their heads- they may have to pay the price for their inconsideration towards their neighbours. We now have legal precedent supporting this.
    A court recently found the council was not liable for the anti-social behaviour of its tenants.

Update: so they've gone, moved out today after putting me through a month of hell. Already worried about the next lot of tenants, hopefully we get a decent bunch!

Advertisement