Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Buy In Drogheda

Options
  • 11-04-2016 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping people can help me a little. I've a few questions so bare with me.

Firstly is there any particular areas that people would immediately say no too? I've been living in Dublin for 12 years and grew up in Cavan so I'm open to most places however my partner is expecting so I'd prefer somewhere quiet but with a nice family vibe....i.e. I want to avoid estates that are heavily rented as I'd like to become part of a community as such and get involved.

I've rented for a long time myself and know when your renting its never really long term so your not as open to community spirit....i know everyone's different but most are less likely.

So suggestions of places to live....I've marked the likes of Termonabbey, Cedarfield, and Knockbrack downs as potentials as they are all in the price range and looks nice.

Looking for a 3 bed townhouse, semi D or terraced so these seem to be the ones to go for.

Also side question....on broadband and tv etc....Can you Freesat? Who provides Broadband, (UPC?).

I presume there's a gas line too??

Reason I ask these Qs is my home town in Cavan is limited in selection and has no gas line so want to check all this out?

Thanks in advance...

I know there are other posts similar to this but they are old or related to renting and apartments. This is specific to small family homes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

leduigs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hoping people can help me a little. I've a few questions so bare with me.

Firstly is there any particular areas that people would immediately say no too? I've been living in Dublin for 12 years and grew up in Cavan so I'm open to most places however my partner is expecting so I'd prefer somewhere quiet but with a nice family vibe....i.e. I want to avoid estates that are heavily rented as I'd like to become part of a community as such and get involved.

I've rented for a long time myself and know when your renting its never really long term so your not as open to community spirit....i know everyone's different but most are less likely.

So suggestions of places to live....I've marked the likes of Termonabbey, Cedarfield, and Knockbrack downs as potentials as they are all in the price range and looks nice.

Looking for a 3 bed townhouse, semi D or terraced so these seem to be the ones to go for.

Also side question....on broadband and tv etc....Can you Freesat? Who provides Broadband, (UPC?).

I presume there's a gas line too??

Reason I ask these Qs is my home town in Cavan is limited in selection and has no gas line so want to check all this out?

Thanks in advance...

I know there are other posts similar to this but they are old or related to renting and apartments. This is specific to small family homes.

If your looking at Termon Abbey. Try Aston Village. It's just behind it and has a little shop, takeaway and hairdressers. It has a bit more of a villagy feel to it. Although I'd look at one of the cul de sacs- nice and quiet there

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Antibac wrote:
    If your looking at Termon Abbey. Try Aston Village. It's just behind it and has a little shop, takeaway and hairdressers. It has a bit more of a villagy feel to it. Although I'd look at one of the cup de sacs- nice and quiet there

Thanks for that. I certainly will check that out too. Completely open as I said so any advice and input is greatly appreciated.

Do you live around there yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I don't live in those areas but can answer.

Broadband - UPC don't operate in Drogheda.
    You're stuck with Eircom/Vodafone over a phone line.
    Fair slower, noisier lines, more connection drops.
    But if you're not an IT expert/power user, you probably won't notice it.
    I've a 20Mbs Vodafone phone line connection that drops the connection twice a day, but if you're only concerned with web browsing and Netflix it's probably adequate, if overpriced compared to 120Mbs reliable connection with UPC in Dublin.

Don't go near any of the ones that operate over 3G mobile signals unless you've absolutely no alternative.

Hopefully in the coming years Electic Ireland/other ISP providers will offer faster more reliable internet. For me I work from home and needel a perfect connection at least 8 hours non-stop, so I notice the connection drops more than an average user.

Satellite / Freesat - yep.
    Any sat dish that has line of sight to the 28.8 satellite should give you all the UK channels for free, and you need a saorview aerial to pick up the Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Thanks for that. I certainly will check that out too. Completely open as I said so any advice and input is greatly appreciated.

Do you live around there yourself?

Yes I do.

There is fibre broadband,gas no issue with getting freeview/free sat etc.

Broadband - UPC don't operate in Drogheda. You're stuck with Eircom/Vodafone over a phone line. Fair slower, noisier lines, more connection drops. But if you're not an IT expert/power user, you probably won't notice it. I've a 20Mbs Vodafone phone line connection that drops the connection twice a day, but if you're only concerned with web browsing and Netflix it's probably adequate, if overpriced compared to 120Mbs reliable connection with UPC in Dublin.

Hopefully in the coming years Electic Ireland/other ISP providers will offer faster more reliable internet. For me I work from home and needel a perfect connection at least 8 hours non-stop, so I notice the connection drops more than an average user.

Satellite / Freesat - yep. Any sat dish that has line of sight to the 28.8 satellite should give you all the UK channels for free, and you need a saorview aerial to pick up the Irish channels.

Broadband - UPC don't operate in Drogheda. You're stuck with Eircom/Vodafone over a phone line. Fair slower, noisier lines, more connection drops. But if you're not an IT expert/power user, you probably won't notice it. I've a 20Mbs Vodafone phone line connection that drops the connection twice a day, but if you're only concerned with web browsing and Netflix it's probably adequate, if overpriced compared to 120Mbs reliable connection with UPC in Dublin.

Don't go near any of the ones that operate over 3G mobile signals unless you've absolutely no alternative.

Thanks for the info....unfortunately I do work from home too and need similar advanced broadband.

Do eircom have the fibre optic cables there at least do you know? I know they are rolled out most major parts or ireland now.

Regarding the tv thats good.....at least i can factor that into the pros.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Antibac wrote:
    There is fibre broadband,gas no issue with getting freeview/free sat etc.

Thats handy on the gas. Save me chagimg provider and all. Handy on the tv too.
    Thanks

Do eircom have the fibre optic cables there at least do you know?

I typed my address into both the Eircom eFibre checker and it said I was eFibre enabled.

Vodafone said an engineer checked, and I had 100mbs connection at least to the nearest "cabinet" exchange.

So the problem is the old copper wiring from the cabinet to the house, and it's not just me. (Estate is less than 20 years old)

So I paid Vodafone for a 100mbs connection, they only gave me 25mbs connection which kept dropping.
    Their solution to the connection drops was to drop my speed to 20mbs, which still doesn't stop connection drops twice a day when I'm working from home.

But it's borderline tolerable. Speedwise, don't need more than 20mbs anyway really.

I typed my address into both the Eircom eFibre checker and it said I was eFibre enabled.

Vodafone said an engineer checked, and I had 100mbs connection at least to the nearest "cabinet" exchange.

So the problem is the old copper wiring from the cabinet to the house, and it's not just me. (Estate is less than 20 years old)

So I paid Vodafone for a 100mbs connection, they only gave me 25mbs connection which kept dropping.
    Their solution to the connection drops was to drop my speed to 20mbs, which still doesn't stop connection drops twice a day when I'm working from home.

But it's borderline tolerable. Speedwise, don't need more than 20mbs anyway really.

Yea I'd agree about 20 being enough, sure I'm paying for 360 up here and the most I ever get on the work machine (which sot 3k...I didn't pay obviously) is 40mb but 20 would be fine.

Pretty sure the estates I mentioned are all pretty much last 20 year builds too but lots has changed and I probably won't have any re-wiring money once the house is bought.

Thanks again for the update on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

Any opinions on beaubec and mount Auburn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Have a look at Tullyallen, Termonfeckin etc. all 5 mins from the town but a good bit cheaper

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the beaubec houses are dryline, or BER rating? Is it a quite estate? Can you hear the traffic from the Dublin road at busy times?

Hi Folks,

I've had sale agreed on a place in Knockbrack Downs after months of back and forward.

Any advice specifically about that estate? Seems to be a lot of places sold there in the last while and they looked to be much cheaper a few years ago....like a lot cheaper.

My guess is people held them and rented them for a while and now first time buyers like myself our buying them to get on property ladder but any advice specifically on the area would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I wouldn't buy there myself as it's sort of an industrial part of town, lots of retail parks around that area. If that doesn't bother you then I guess should be fine.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy there myself as it's sort of an industrial part of town, lots of retail parks around that area. If that doesn't bother you then I guess should be fine.

Thanks, yea that wouldn't really bother me tbh. I work in Dublin so will be commuting myself and kids are in a school near there so its handy for them.

Once the neighbours are sound that's all I really care about. Be good to get along with them :)

+1

I think Matthews coaches stop at the Thatch on Donore Road.
    Always good to have an alternative to driving if necessary.
    It would be a good 40 mins walk to the train station though, but you could park there for something like €2-3 a day I think.

Driving, you would have to pay the Drogheda toll bridge to head to Dublin, unless you go through Julianstown instead.

+1

I think Matthews coaches stop at the Thatch on Donore Road.
    Always good to have an alternative to driving if necessary.
    It would be a good 40 mins walk to the train station though, but you could park there for something like €2-3 a day I think.

Driving, you would have to pay the Drogheda toll bridge to head to Dublin, unless you go through Julianstown instead.

Thanks for the reply too mate.

Yea I drive myself and work near Ballycoolin so I'll be heading out through Duleek and up the N2 so thankfully avoiding tolls.

As I say my main concern would be crime in the area and break ins and things like that but I've heard nothing on that which is good. Have 2 young kids and its a starter home so want to make sure its safe at least for them.

Thanks again for the replies.

As I say my main concern would be crime in the area and break ins and things like that but I've heard nothing on that which is good.

Facebook has a "Drogheda Crime Activity Page (DCAP)", and the Drogheda Leader magazine would report local crime too if you want an idea of crime around the broad Drogheda area.

Facebook has a "Drogheda Crime Activity Page (DCAP)", and the Drogheda Leader magazine would report local crime too if you want an idea of crime around the broad Drogheda area.

Thanks for that, will check them both out. Be good to know a bit more about my new home. You get good and bad everywhere and I'm by no means too fussy but always nice to know. I've been living roung Drogheda last 4 months and love it. Hopefully move into my house soon though rather than paying dead money in rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Thanks for that, will check them both out. Be good to know a bit more about my new home. You get good and bad everywhere and I'm by no means too fussy but always nice to know. I've been living roung Drogheda last 4 months and love it. Hopefully move into my house soon though rather than paying dead money in rent!

Just FYI there's a lidl on the Donore road that's just closed for renovations (6 months I've been told) but the big Tesco up there will provide nicely for you! That tesco is class.

Any idea how quite the twenties is?

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    Any idea how quite the twenties is?

I've only lived in Drogheda a year, but I know Moneymore used to be rough but I've been told it's calmed down... although that may be relative to the past.
    I won't live around there, but my brother-in-law is in the new Rosehall estate around the corner from it and hasn't had any problems.

But a picture can tell a thousand words...
    Have a look at this Google streetview picture at the bottom of the Moneymore estate... Moneymore fortified CC camera

CC TV cameras for anti-social behaviour, fortified with 4 surrounding pillars and spikes. "The Faa side" Drogheda satire strip also takes swipes at Moneymore now and again... so not ideal unless you're a fairly rough character to start with I imagine !

But it might be have rental potential and hold it's value due to it's proximity to the hospital.

Matthews coach stops on the North road just before O'Rathlaighs club, so handy for buses to Dublin.

I've only lived in Drogheda a year, but I know Moneymore used to be rough but I've been told it's calmed down... although that may be relative to the past.
    I won't live around there, but my brother-in-law is in the new Rosehall estate around the corner from it and hasn't had any problems.

But a picture can tell a thousand words...
    Have a look at this Google streetview picture at the bottom of the Moneymore estate... Moneymore fortified CC camera

CC TV cameras for anti-social behaviour, fortified with 4 surrounding pillars and spikes. "The Faa side" Drogheda satire strip also takes swipes at Moneymore now and again... so not ideal unless you're a fairly rough character to start with I imagine !

But it might be have rental potential and hold it's value due to it's proximity to the hospital.

Matthews coach stops on the North road just before O'Rathlaighs club, so handy for buses to Dublin.

Has anyone heard of the twenties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭micar

I grew up on the Dublin Road near the train station.

Have a look at wheaton Hall and beaubeq., bryanstown

I think the twenties is just past the lourdes hospital and beside Moneymore.

Weadowview and rosevale are beside the road going to beamore cross where can easily get out past duleek

From where you are working I would stick to the southside of the town. Traffic can be bad if trying to cross the town. Only have 2 bridges

micar wrote: »
    I grew up on the Dublin Road near the train station.

Have a look at wheaton Hall and beaubeq., bryanstown

I think the twenties is just past the lourdes hospital and beside Moneymore.

Weadowview and rosevale are beside the road going to beamore cross where can easily get out past duleek

From where you are working I would stick to the southside of the town. Traffic can be bad if trying to cross the town. Only have 2 bridges

What's the crime/traffic like in copper Hill road area?

horse7 wrote: »
    What's the crime/traffic like in copper Hill road area?

where is the copper hill road?

where is the copper hill road?

Just search copperHill road on Google maps.

im not getting any results. theres a copper c in wheaton hall?

What's close to it?

ah, COOPerhill!

Its outside of Drogheda, probably 5 min drive. Very little traffic out there, not sure about crime, maybe someone else can chip in. Certainly no different to anywhere else in the countryside id imagine. Close to the motorway as well, you could also go through julianstown to avoid the tolls

ah, COOPerhill!

Its outside of Drogheda, probably 5 min drive. Very little traffic out there, not sure about crime, maybe someone else can chip in. Certainly no different to anywhere else in the countryside id imagine. Close to the motorway as well, you could also go through julianstown to avoid the tolls

Sorry cooperhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 NelRom

The twenties is a country side style lane which runs past moneymore but much further out. Along the way there is also st laurence park which I believe is similar to moneymore.
    Twenties used to be a lovely little lane, dont know if thats changed but I would see they have a big fly tipping problem which appears in papers from time to time, not sure if any other anti social behaviour.
    Cooperhill lovely but not walkable into Drogheda ( no footpaths) twenties is walkable as there is no through traffic on the lane.

Advertisement