Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Buy In Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

NelRom wrote: »
    The twenties is a country side style lane which runs past moneymore but much further out. Along the way there is also st laurence park which I believe is similar to moneymore.
    Twenties used to be a lovely little lane, dont know if thats changed but I would see they have a big fly tipping problem which appears in papers from time to time, not sure if any other anti social behaviour.
    Cooperhill lovely but not walkable into Drogheda ( no footpaths) twenties is walkable as there is no through traffic on the lane.

Any transport links from cooperhill Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

horse7 wrote: »
    Any transport links from cooperhill Rd?

No there is no transport links from cooperhill

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Any opinions on Marian Park off the Donore road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Grand area, can't see there being too many complaints about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Marian Park is a nice area, very well established mostly older ex-corpo terraced and end of terrace houses, some of them have really long gardens. Great location only a short walk to the bus station and the town. There is a real mix of ages living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    Marian Park is a nice area, very well established mostly older ex-corpo terraced and end of terrace houses, some of them have really long gardens. Great location only a short walk to the bus station and the town. There is a real mix of ages living there.

http://www.daft.ie/louth/property-for-sale/?s%5Badvanced%5D=1&s%5Bsort_by%5D=date&s%5Bsort_type%5D=d&searchSource=sale

€215,000 for an mid terraced, ex council house, that look like it ha been stuck together with some sticky back plastic and a few empty toilet rolls. Me arse.

Maybe they'll stick a handle on the toilet door for an extra five grand. That's mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Crazy price alright, I know prices have been on the up lately but they're very optimistic. Most houses in Marian Park are selling for 130-140k per the PPR.

Is Marian Park considered a posh area?

Is Marian Park considered a posh area?

Nope

IvoryTower wrote:
    Nope

Rough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Avoid Drogheda town. Scummy, full of creamers in tracksuits and in the words of a Garda I spoke to a few weeks ago.."they are like rats".

I've tried to be ok about Drogheda town but it's a **** hole.

Rough?

No definitely not. Just normal! Not the prettiest estate but nice area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Avoid Drogheda town. Scummy, full of creamers in tracksuits and in the words of a Garda I spoke to a few weeks ago.."they are like rats".

I've tried to be ok about Drogheda town but it's a **** hole.

Are you from Dundalk!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Peter File wrote: »
    Are you from Dundalk!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Worse, Tullyallen area, I believe.

Ah the Drogheda cheerleader brigade..

This is a true story, the only reason I've been in to Drogheda town in the last 2 years is to go to the Garda station!

Make of that what you will.

I'm from Tullyallen myself and have lived in the town for the last 17 years, have never had an issue. Make of that what you will.

IvoryTower wrote:
    I'm from Tullyallen myself and have lived in the town for the last 17 years, have never had an issue. Make of that what you will.

I would imagine its kinda hard to have problems with sheep

Everywhere has it's own challenges. However there are some pretty bad areas in Drogheda. I'm sure it's mostly fine but would I want to live near them? No thanks.

At least you have broadband etc , swings and roundabouts.

Everywhere has it's own challenges. However there are some pretty bad areas in Drogheda. I'm sure it's mostly fine but would I want to live near them? No thanks.

At least you have broadband etc , swings and roundabouts.

I've tried to be ok about Drogheda town but it's a **** hole

slightly more sensible response? The estate/area in question has a good reputation, which you would know if you lived in Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Marian Park is a very mature area with very well built ex local authority houses.

It would an older community of residents, many families having been there since the 60s. Some lovely people in the area.

As mentioned, it is well located with shops, Tesco, bus station and access to the M1 closeby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Colm Cummins

Marian Park (fondly known as Ma Park by locals), has a lot going for it and is a great place to rear a family. Cose to schools, shops, and not too far from the main shopping area of the town.Mature estate with a good mix of old families and new younger families who have moved in recently. Like all estates, there are some undesirables, live and let live.

whats Hill of Rath like,its near Lavin park?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

horse7 wrote: »
    whats Hill of Rath like,its near Lavin park?

As far as I know Hill of Rath is an area or townland just north of Tullyallen, I think it is in between the Collon Rd and the Motorway.

Lavin Park is in Tullyallen so it would be near enough if that's what you are asking, depending on where the actual house is on the Hill of Rath.

It's south of super bouncy castles, about 5 bungalows together,so I'm wondering if it's quite and Lavin pk is probably the nearest place to it.

hill of rath is quiet, country roads, not in the village

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've been keeping an eye in houses in Drogheda for a while and went to view three houses over the last week in Grange Rath and Deepforde. All seem to be well built and in nice well maintained estates.

There doesn't seem to be a lot going on in the Soutegate shopping centre near those estates but there are other options for shopping in the town.

I've a mixed feeling about the town itself, it seems to be improving but still seems to be a bit of a nasty element in it but again nothing any worse than Dublin city centre where I'm currently living.

Apart from those, is there anyone living in either of those estates who have advice on things to look out for or any concerns about that area of the town?

Thanks.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye in houses in Drogheda for a while and went to view three houses over the last week in Grange Rath and Deepforde. All seem to be well built and in nice well maintained estates.

Grange Rath is a real head scratcher to me.

Seems like it's gone downhill a fair bit recently. But prices and people's opinion on the area seem to have not changed. Anytime I hear it mentioned it's commented as what a lovely spot, great place, etc. and the prices of houses there often aren't shy of half a million euro.

Yet on my previous visits there (very sporadic) it seems fairly... average, i suppose (for lack of a better word). I know halloween is a bad day to make judgements, but i was up there on Halloween, and was shocked at the amount of scummers in their tracksuits hanging about the place, hoods up, etc. Struck me as something that you'd never see in Grange Rath.

A friend purchased a house there about.. I dunno, 6-8 months ago, and I went down with her two times when she was moving in, and the street was littered with kids (and litter) about 10-12 years old with that real scummy attitude of standing in the way of the car and kicking balls off houses.

I was really surprised. Now, I'm sure it varies from one part of the estate to another (it's a huge estate) but this is the kinda stuff that I thought would never, ever be seen in that estate.

Don't get me wrong, it's no Rathmullan Park (a contender for the 'most embarrassing estate in the country' award) but I was just surprised at that carry on in Grange Rath. I did delivery of furniture about 7-8 years ago and delivered there regularly. Never seen any of that kinda stuff and was legitimately jealous of those living there. Seemed like an estate that was earmarked for wealthier people, but has obviously lost that somewhere along the way.

I haven't been into this place in years, but I remember delivering stuff to Avourwen in the past, and thinking that place (although always looking unfinished) was a nice spot. You can tell by looking at it on Google Maps, what way it'll expand in the next decade, so not sure if all the new houses that will go in will cause trouble or not, but my memories of it are a nice place.

Deepforde seems a nicer spot than Grange Rath, although again, I've only been in it 3-4 times in my life.

To rattle off my opinion on other places:

Marian Park is a lovely spot. Some parts of it may suffer with the 'rat run' traffic that go through it, but most of it is a genuinely nice area. Can't think of any part of Marian Park I wouldn't live in.

Ballsgrove is grand if you stay away from the Green area and stick to the terraced rows that face into other houses (these streets are dead the whole time, whereas the green is an anti-social area, for scrambler bikes, etc.)

St. Finian's Park is quiet but suffers from the odd blight of anti-social behaviour spilling in from Rathmullan Park.

Beechwood Drive is a hot-spot for scum and anti-social issues.

Rathmullan Park and Moneymore are the designated 'disadvantaged' areas that I wouldn't live in by choice (mix of embarrassing and pathetic behaviour, liken them to mini-Darndales).

Bryanstown in general seems to be a nice and quiet area. Haven't been in it a whole heap but know people living there and no one has a bad thing to say about it.

Ard Ri seems a lovely spot. Quiet and mature, mostly working people out at work all day and at sleep at night. Haven't heard of much trouble from up there.

Millmount Square is a nice area in my times there.

Meadowview seems quiet, although prone to the occasional roaming gang of scummers. Never hear too much hassle about the place but that could be just my blinkers on. Seems to have a bit of a community spirit, but I've seen 'undesirables' in the area on passing a few times, too.

Congress Avenue / Priest's Lane seem like nice areas, although traffic is on your doorstep and roads are very narrow.

Ashfield is a large area, and although I see the odd tracksuit-brigade, I've never heard of any trouble, not ever felt like it was a bad area. The graffiti on the entrance from mell is an eyesore though (and should have been cleaned long ago! it's there years and years). Makes the area look poor.

Ramble, ramble, ramble... sorry I'm probably going on a bit... :o.

I do agree with previous posters about the town being rough, though. Drogheda has lots of lovely people and you'll often get a helping hand when needed, but the lack of Council/Garda/Judicial will to deal with anti social issues has the place plagued. I volunteered with some of the people that spent time cleaning graffiti, litter, dumping, etc. around the town, and it's disheartening to see the same graffiti return over and over (so disrespectful) and Gardai not do anything when they obtain clear-face CCTV footage of people vandalising the place. I fear Drogheda is only going to get worse. If I had a couple of hundred thousand in my budget, I think I'd be looking at the smallest estates that are already built-up around (so the council can't build on top of you) or I'd be going outside the town.

Tullyallen is a scary story though. Lovely village not too long ago.. scumbags and anti social teens taking over slowly but surely now though. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it for some reason or another, but it's becoming very common.

EDIT: Knockbrack is mentioned a bit in here, too. Worth pointing out that it's broken in two, Knockbrack Downs, and Knockbrack Close. Close is to the west of the road (small estate, about 20-30 houses, massive green space, right beside a lot of green sites, will no doubt be developed in the future to add on to it) and Downs is to the east of the road (bigger estate, houses in a circle around a green, with a few cul-de-sacs leading off it).

Knockbrack Close seems quiet. Rarely ever anyone in it. A few years ago (4-5 years Id say) a traveller house in there was shot at, through the windows. Travellers left the house after that and it was given to someone else. Haven't heard the estate mentioned anywhere since. Seems grand and quiet.

Knockbrack Downs is a rougher area (possibly owing to the large amount of houses in it, and the social allocation). One of the cul-de-sacs also seems to be a designated traveller housing area, from what I can see and have been told. Downs has issues with groups of roaming tracksuit-clad teens and loud bluetooth speakers annoying neighbours. Often see them camped at the entrance to the estate. Also see the Armed Response wandering in and out on a regular basis. On paper, it's the traveller presence that would put me off living there, but in reality, they seem to keep themselves to themselves from what I've heard. I know a chap living there and said they're sound enough. How true that is, I don't know.

If I was buying, I'd buy in Close, before I'd buy in Downs, but unfortunately it's very likely they'll both be the same in a decade anyway when Close gets the builders in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

I know a few people living in deep forde and grange rath n have no real hassle with anti social behaviour from teens. Build quality would be better in deepforde imo. Both have cars stolen out of them regularly enough.
    If it was me and commuting to Dublin id look at the estates in julianstown or one offs in gormanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AnthonyOD1987

Any opinions on Tullyallen? seems to be a pretty good location, near enough to town but in the countryside. Close to m1 so good access. any feedback on the area? Rough? Quite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Broadband issues !

Advertisement