Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Buy In Drogheda

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Between weirhope and the sewage plant I believe ! Same side of road. Geographically good location but Irish water would want to sort the smell on a hot summers day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Oh right ok, makes sense. There is a lot of stuff on that side that is derelict or has already been torn down and lying idle. What became of the Marsh House there actually, or is that still idle?

It’s 3 terraced houses now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Between weirhope and the sewage plant I believe ! Same side of road. Geographically good location but Irish water would want to sort the smell on a hot summers day!

Jesus, the builder would want to be flogging them in the winter. How they get away with that smell is beyond me. If the sewage plant was ancient n clapped out I'd say fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

It's odd that they're turning that site into housing, yet Avourwen still hasn't been finished for some reason.

Have they started to build the new phase in Avourwen yet or when is it due to be completed?

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Have they started to build the new phase in Avourwen yet or when is it due to be completed?

Nothing happening in the estate at all, builders off site for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Seeing as I started this post a long time ago maybe an update is in order.

I bought in Knockbrack Downs. I grew up in a village in Cavan and lived in Rathmines for 10 years in Dublin 6 so I've a good varied idea of social classes and people I like to think. I have to say Drogheda is no different to anywhere else, each area has a mix of good folk and what people would call undesirable folk however all in all its a solid town with lots going for it.

Knockbrack Downs itself is nice and mainly quiet, yes it has teenagers hanging around but so does everywhere and if you leave them alone they keep to themselves. Couldn't fault the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Good to hear, welcome to Drogheda :)

The thing I don't like about that area are the houses on the road outside the estate after the bridge. Shabby looking and likely mostly rentals by the look of them and should never have been built either with fronts facing the road or so close to it.

Also I see further down matthews lane at the new houses they installed a lovely bike lane that starts abruptly at the derelict house and ends just 50 meters later at the T junction. Good to see quality bike lane design in town :rolleyes:

They should have done a job on that whole stretch of the R152 years ago when they did the section between the railway bridge after Johns and the Boyne Valley honey place and installed a footpath on that side of the road the whole way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

The thing I don't like about that area are the houses on the road outside the estate after the bridge. Shabby looking and likely mostly rentals by the look of them and should never have been built either with fronts facing the road or so close to it.

Also I see further down matthews lane at the new houses they installed a lovely bike lane that starts abruptly at the derelict house and ends just 50 meters later at the T junction. Good to see quality bike lane design in town :rolleyes:

They should have done a job on that whole stretch of the R152 years ago when they did the section between the railway bridge after Johns and the Boyne Valley honey place and installed a footpath on that side of the road the whole way into town.

Much like the disastrous bike lanes around Colpe. Meath Co Co at their finest. I'd say the new bike lane at Matthew's Lane was a condition of planning and the developer was only required to put the lane in outside their development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

With all the roadworks going on in Dublin road, I naively assumed they are building new footpaths all the way out to Piltown, and new bike lane near Five Oaks to continue on from the one that's outside Deepford, but it doesn't look like it. It would have been nice to have a bike lane from Deepford all the way to town but I guess the road is just too narrow for it.

Drogheda is a nice town, but it could be so much better with a bit more joined-up thinking and investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

With two county councils running the town don't expect joined up thinking despite their latest statements.

Has anyone any experience of Martello village, specifically the Duplexes? what are they like to live in, noise etc

Not bad properties and the area is good. Good for commuters too. Bit busy at weekends with a lot of kids on the greens etc but that's to be expected. I know the apartments below the duplex are fine sound wise. Can't comment on duplex itself but assume they are similar.

They are still cheaper than when they were new!

Lived in one for a year, can't say I had any problems

Has anyone any experience of Cairnes court in Roschoill?

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of Cairnes court in Roschoill?

Lovely estate. In the top 5 on the southside IMO. Quiet, good location, nice houses.

I lived in one of those for a few years. They're a brilliant design, in my opinion. I lived on the ones on the right (as you go over the bridge, away from the town).

They have no walls, gates, or anywhere for anyone to hang out, so you never really get any grief or anti social issues. I'd definitely move back to them. Also completely unrelated but there are at least 3 of the most attractive women in the town living on that row of houses. :D:o

Anti social behaviour is my biggest gripe in house estates, but it seems to have a small bit of traction in almost every estate. Not that that makes it okay - it's long overdue that the Garda, Judicial and Legislative minds got together and properly but the boot into anti social behaviour with actual punishments. It really is Ireland's biggest problem and feeds into so much criminal behaviour down the line.

Thankfully most people on here seem to be reporting that their estates are generally fine, so that's a good thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Any experience in Mornington Tower?

How is that estate. The location suits, I'm wondering about the area.

Thanks in advance

I lived in one of those for a few years. They're a brilliant design, in my opinion. I lived on the ones on the right (as you go over the bridge, away from the town).

They have no walls, gates, or anywhere for anyone to hang out, so you never really get any grief or anti social issues. I'd definitely move back to them. Also completely unrelated but there are at least 3 of the most attractive women in the town living on that row of houses. :D:o

Anti social behaviour is my biggest gripe in house estates, but it seems to have a small bit of traction in almost every estate. Not that that makes it okay - it's long overdue that the Garda, Judicial and Legislative minds got together and properly but the boot into anti social behaviour with actual punishments. It really is Ireland's biggest problem and feeds into so much criminal behaviour down the line.

Thankfully most people on here seem to be reporting that their estates are generally fine, so that's a good thing. :)

Very good point actually.

They look to be starting the next batch of houses down that way now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

How about liscorrie? Is it a good area to live in

Has anyone any experiences of living in the 3 bed semi's in five oaks? Good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

No experience of the semi's but I have family and friends that live in different detached houses in Five Oaks, it's a lovely estate they are very happy with their houses and the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 edkelly11

If anyone has any solicitor recommendations for a solicitor for a house purchase in Drogheda, could they PM me please?

edkelly11 wrote: »
    If anyone has any solicitor recommendations for a solicitor for a house purchase in Drogheda, could they PM me please?

https://maddenlaw.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1

leduigs wrote: »
    Seeing as I started this post a long time ago maybe an update is in order.

I bought in Knockbrack Downs. I grew up in a village in Cavan and lived in Rathmines for 10 years in Dublin 6 so I've a good varied idea of social classes and people I like to think.

Knockbrack Downs itself is nice and mainly quiet, yes it has teenagers hanging around but so does everywhere and if you leave them alone they keep to themselves. Couldn't fault the place.

Great info for perspective buyers. I'm just gone sale agreed on a terraced house in the area.

I just want to know how soundproofing are the walls. I've read somewhere else that they are very bad.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭leduigs

Uglysoik1 wrote: »
    Great info for perspective buyers. I'm just gone sale agreed on a terraced house in the area.

I just want to know how soundproofing are the walls. I've read somewhere else that they are very bad.
    Thanks

Hey mate, can be a little noisey but will depend on your neighbours. Most general sounds don't carry but if people are arguing, tvs are over the top loud or slamming doors then you'll hear things.

I've lived in plenty of places that are similar.

Best of luck with the sale agreed house, hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Uglysoik1

Great, thanks I appreciate it. 🙂

Advertisement