Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privet hedge?

Options
  • 11-04-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

Hi, i want to grow a tall narrow hedge. My back garden is very long and narrow. On one side the neighbours overlook us even with a boundary wall. The wall has a pathway along it with my narrow garden to the side. I was thinking of planting a privet hedge along here so i can make use of my garden without being overlooked? Would privet be a good option? I was also considering red robin... Ideally i would like something that grows quickly and can be pruned to keep it in shape and tall and narrow. Other option i was considering would be bamboo in planters along the boundary wall but i fear my neighbour may take the shears to them:D

Any advise welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

There's loads of options. Privet isn't as popular as it used to be, but its a lovely traditional choice.

Red Robin is nice, but can become quite "leggy" looking if its not pruned properly.

Laurel is a very good option too, grows more quickly, very tall, suits the climate here, evergreen.

One of my own favourites would be holly - worth considering if you're only allowed to plant indigenous trees or hedges in your area.

Griselinia is popular, however the harsh winter of 09/10 killed a lot of beautiful mature hedges :( it's a good option if the hedge will have reasonable shelter though.

Buxus is good for a little short thick hedge.

Deciduous options would be sceach (hawthorn or blackthorn), beech (green, copper or mixed).

There are loads of choices, a good rule of thumb would be checking out other gardens and hedging in your locality. If its thriving in their garden it should grow well in yours.

If you can wait until October or November you could buy them bare-rooted and save yourself a few bob.

Hope this helps, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Holly is very slow growing though and would be a pain to prune if you're keeping it thin...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you considered those shaped trees, grown against a flat frame? They effectively give a 2-dimensional shape so would certainly be thin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Roselm wrote: »
    Holly is very slow growing though and would be a pain to prune if you're keeping it thin...

Depends on how thin you want it. It's slow growing compared to laurel though.

If you need a really thin hedge a bamboo type structure with a creeper or two on it would look nice. Varigated ivy perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks all for the advise. Good idea to look at other hedges in the area. I looks like my neighbour to the other side has a privet hedge. At least the leaves look like in the link below or could i be confusing it with someone else. I actually like golden privet more but it seems to be less vigorous.

http://www.thegardenshop.ie/bare-root-privet/

Can you really really plant them as bare roots even when they are 5 foot? That seems really good because i was worried how long it would take to grow to around 7 foot which would be ideal height. I don't really like laurel too much. I prefer hedges with smaller leaves. Would privet be too busy though. I am just worried about the depth of the hedge. Ideally i would like it eventually looking like this :)

http://www.gardens4you.co.uk/ShopImages/product/FD11757WH.JPG

• Advertisement

homer911 wrote: »
    Have you considered those shaped trees, grown against a flat frame? They effectively give a 2-dimensional shape so would certainly be thin

Interesting but i'm clueless to what you mean.. Any examples? :)

I now am thinking about putting up some plastic mesh and growing evergreen mixed climbers that hopefully eventually would reach 6 foot in height. Does this sound like a crazy idea? :p I think i would lose less space by doing this and have more space in the garden for shrub planting etc.. My head is starting to melt resarching this. I was also considering a row of THUJA occidentalis Smaragd but i think i would prefer the colour and scents from climbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I had to get a a hedge recently. Ended up getting Laurel but I don't think it will be suitable for a think hedge. Bear in mind that it's the end of the season for that stuff now. I tried a few places and found the Curragh nurseries very helpful, maybe give them a bell.

Advertisement