Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix kids TV shows

• 11-04-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Got netflix a couple of weeks ago. The one thing that greatly annoys me ( and I know , it can well be me not understanding all features) is that there really doesn't seem to be an easy accessible list of shows and movies (even my plex set up seems better organised)..

My 7yr old daughter loves Netflix but I am not sure she is getting the best out of it.

Can anyone give me some tips on fun TV shows for her ? As reference - on sky she loves series like Bunk'd, Jessie, Liv & Maddy, cartoons like Totally spies, Scooby Doo

Thanks for any tips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Create a kids profile??

I have 3 boys and i did this, all the kids shows and cartoons are available and they are able to browse for what they want to watch and then cast it to the tv. You can set an age profile so it doesnt display content for older kids too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As above, set her up with a kids profile appropriate to her age and Netflix will do all the work from that point on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

If you've set her up with her own profile as she watches things more relevant recommendations will begin to show up - check out the 'Because you've watched..' listings.
    Having said that, it's worth searching under your own profile too as some random stuff is excluded from 'kids'

What device are you using to view it? One of the frustrating things is that the interface can vary from device to device - we mostly scroll through and by character or look in the recently added section.

Goosebumps is on there - might be of interest, but in a house of boys here it's the superheroes that win out so don't really know of anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Hehe- she was talking about goosebumps tonight and how "scary" it was.. decided to wait a bit with that..

I am using a smart Blu ray player on one TV, a wii on another (a real pain) , there is an android tablet and I am in process of setting up an android box to replace the wii.
    I know they have different interfaces which is another "great feature". It is new, I had higher expectations in terms of user friendliness and obviously I am getting old..Maybe in a couple of weeks I will be more enthusiastic. And at this point I am also sure she already knows better how to work it than me.

And yes, I have set her kids profile up... But still there is so much to scroll through, so I was looking for some recommendations to save some time. We'll give Goosebumps a try tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Well my 3 are boys so some of what they watch probably wouldn't be for her but Netflix rugrats and also has "King Julien" from Madagascar, and "puss in boots", both are series.

There are also films like Up and Monsters University.

I agree about the layout its doesn't look great but its ok once you get used to it. One good thing about Netflix is that it makes suggestions based on what you watch so your daughter should find other shows to watch based on her viewing pattern.

I have netflix on a laptop and on my phone. The kids use these to watch what they want. They cast netflix to the tv using chromecast and even my 5 yo is well able to work it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But still there is so much to scroll through, so I was looking for some recommendations to save some time. We'll give Goosebumps a try tomorrow.

Just let her at it, she'll find all sorts of stuff herself. My daughter is coming up to 6 and she flies through it finding all sorts of stuff. I wouldn't be too hung up in getting recommendations for her, once she can manage the interface she won't want to know any of what you're suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Just let her at it, she'll find all sorts of stuff herself. .

You are probably right... Let's leave her to it, is probably the best recommendation..

Advertisement