Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a 2nd horizon box

• 11-04-2016 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

with all the bits

Can I hook it up for multi room viewing do ye know ?
    If so, what cables do I need etc ?

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

RobAMerc wrote: »
    with all the bits

Can I hook it up for multi room viewing do ye know ?
    If so, what cables do I need etc ?

Thanks
    Rob

No you will have to ring up VIRGIN and ask them to supply you with a second box. The box is their property and meant to be returned to them so that they can check the hard drive and assure in perfect working order is sent back out formatted, When a customer cancels an account and doesn't return the box they are liable for the cost of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, even if they don't want the box back, you can't use it because it needs to have an active smartcard inserted which has been paired to that digital box on the Virgin Media system and unless you're paying for multiroom, they will have deactivated it so it's useless.

If you login to the VM website, they will tell you the boxes that are active on your account. Anything not listed simply will not work, and before you try it, the card in your primary Horizon box won't work in the secondary box, each pair of card+box is set in the VM system so you can't move cards around.

To answer the question anyway, it would need to be connected to a wall point using a co-ax cable and connected to a TV using a SCART or HDMI cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Horizon boxes don't have a smart card, but a bit like their modems, they have a unique MAC number which needs to correspond to the one they have on their systems for you. Either way you can't use 2 horizon boxes.

Virgin seem to be a bit lax on collecting faulty boxes, or in some cases deliver 2 boxes instead of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Horizon boxes don't have a smart card, but a bit like their modems, they have a unique MAC number which needs to correspond to the one they have on their systems for you. Either way you can't use 2 horizon boxes.

+1 My bad, I keep telling myself the card is around the back but of course there isn't one in the Horizon box.

There is a Cisco DVR you can get for multiroom, it has a hard drive so can record but the drive is capable of spinning up at any hour of the day or night so it's not all suitable for the bedroom, I sent it back and got a Pace HD box instead after several hours on the phone for which they compensated me with 6 month half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Virgin seem to be a bit lax on collecting faulty boxes, or in some cases deliver 2 boxes instead of one.

I had a replacement box delivered a few months ago.. and the delivery guy refused to take away the old one....It is still sitting in the garage... at some point I intended to strip out the hard drive to see if it was ok.... but not got around it

• Advertisement
Advertisement