Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the maximum number of clients

Options
  • 11-04-2016 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I am uploading installation pack to my website on one of biggest Irish hosting using FileZilla. I get "the maximum number of clients (8) for this user are already connected" error even if I already set "maximum simultaneous transfers" to 2 in FileZilla settings. I have few thousands files to upload - how could I get them uploaded?? Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Ask the support department of the hosting company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I was wondering if there is issue on my side of internet (Filezilla?) or on their? What else can I do to prevent it? I set single transfer, I set lower speed and I still getting "maximum number of clients (8)" error??? BTW - I am on UPC/ Virgin broadband.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It sounds like FileZilla is opening a pile of connections to your host and for some reason they're not getting closed afterwards. Your host has a limit on the number of connections it allows with your FTP credentials, when that limit is reached you see the errors you detailed above.

Can you zip the files and unzip them on your host once they're uploaded? Have you spoken to your hosting company?

Graham wrote: »
    It sounds like FileZilla is opening a pile of connections to your host and for some reason they're not getting closed afterwards. Your host has a limit on the number of connections it allows with your FTP credentials,

Actually I am aware of that and I SET 1 CONNECTION ONLY in Filezilla settings. And still get 8 connections somehow.
    I have some experience with different websites - I NEVER came across issue like that when I was using hostings from outside of Ireland.

zom wrote: »
    Actually I am aware of that and I SET 1 CONNECTION ONLY in Filezilla settings. And still get 8 connections somehow.
    I have some experience with different websites - I NEVER came across issue like that when I was using hostings from outside of Ireland.

I somehow doubt it has anything to do with the geography of your host. These things are rarely weather related :pac:

If filezilla opens a new connection for each file, the local limit of 1 isn't going to solve the problem.

What have your hosting company said?

• Advertisement

I asked them almost same questions as here. They respond with almost same advices as here. And after I clarify mu problem as here, I still wait for response from them...

I recently moved from really slow internet to 240MB broadband and I am bit puzzled now while looking on FTP transfers I get. Barely can see when files start to download/upload and when they finish. I was wondering if that speed may be an issue - I know it is stupid, but I can't see any other explanation...

Just found on Filezilla forum similar issue:
    https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=13757

Settings / Transfers:

Max. Sim. Transfers: 1
    Limit for con. down.: 1
    Limit for con. up.: 1

File / Site Manager / 'My Site' / Transfer settings:
    Limit number of simul. con. / Max. number of con.: 1

Yet, I'm still getting locked out (for 30 mins) by my servers firewall for too many connections.

There's many many many similar issues reported for FileZilla, it's normally resolved by tweaking the settings either at the client or the server end. If FileZilla is dropping a session and opening a new one for any reason, you could end up with a few open sessions waiting to time out on the server even though you've only got one session open at a time.

I just noticed you mentioned the Server Firewall, if you're talking about the Firewall on your web hosts side they'll need to troubleshoot that for you.

Graham wrote: »
    There's many many many similar issues reported for FileZilla, it's normally resolved by tweaking the settings either at the client or the server end..

Web hosting companies are not very cooperative in that matter. I will try some other FTP clients with this issue. Pity I am one day late with the work to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Is there any particular reason that you did not just log on to the server and use the control panel to upload a zip of your files in one go.

Create the file structure, if any, required on your computer first, before you zip the files. Some hosting panels have short time out limits, and therefore can't unzip hundreds of files without timing out, so if you have a lot of files you might have to upload in stages.

M.T.D wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason that you did not just log on to the server and use the control panel to upload a zip of your files in one go.

24MB upload speed should do the job in less than hour if no issue. Even with 5000 files.
    Also I cant unzip files on server, but if I have to, I will ask hosting guys for help.

• Advertisement

Web hosting companies are not very cooperative in that matter. I will try some other FTP clients with this issue. Pity I am one day late with the work to do...

It might be worth you reviewing your hosting arrangements if access to fast support is business critical.

You either want a server that's under your direct control so that you can address issues yourself or you want a hosting account with service level agreements in place.

Sorry, not helpful for your current predicament I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I will try some other FTP clients with this issue.
    Since you are open to trying another client, I recommend WinSCP: "Free SFTP, SCP and FTP client for Windows"

I store all my S/FTP client info in its "Sessions" and can quickly log into sites without having to enter a password (I know that the program discourages this).

Advertisement