Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I see very few vans on the road, mates tell me it's hard to own one?

• 11-04-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

So..

What is required to own and use a van in ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A van or a Camper van.
    Vans are everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I was told that to have a van here in ireland, you have to be in a business that requires the use of a van, and that you must have a tax clearance cert.... is this correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone can have one but where problems arise is to tax it commercial if you are not a business or such.

You can tax privately and also insurance is only done by a select few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

who told you that.
    they want their head examined

anyone can buy a van if they want.

as for the tax clearance cert. all that proves is that you have paid your income tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Very few companies will insure vans for private use, which means unless you fit their specific risk criteria, you'll find it quite hard to get a realistic insurance quote on a van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My da has a privately insured van. First time I've ever heard of it as rare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Pedro K wrote: »
    Very few companies will insure vans for private use, which means unless you fit their specific risk criteria, you'll find it quite hard to get a realistic insurance quote on a van.

How come certain "soil of the earth" people can have as many vans as they like ? is it culture boss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Yes but having it insured and taxed is a different point entirely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Are you kidding me? Every tom dick and harry 'handyman' has a bloody van. I was only commenting to the misses recently that there were a serious amount of unmarked vans on the roads recently.

I would guess there are more vans on the road now then ever before (that includes the boom time years).

EDIT: According to SIMI statistics (clicky click), it's close to boom time but not there yet. Notice a near 50% increase the last two years.
    CamperMan wrote: »
    I see very few vans on the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

You can tax privately and also insurance is only done by a select few.

Which is pretty crap to be fair. I'm sure transferring your NCB to/from a van policy also causes lots of bother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I'd love to have a van for pottering around in like a two grand berlingo or the like aswell as a cheap weekend toy.

Problem is taxing and insuring multiple vehicles in this country is farcical.

PLL wrote: »
    My da has a privately insured van. First time I've ever heard of it as rare

What's his occupation?

How come certain "soil of the earth" people can have as many vans as they like ? is it culture boss?

Typically they state their occupation as gardener.

Perhaps my wording was a bit off in my first post using privately insured etc.

It's more so the occupation many insurers care about. For example if your occupation is something like carpenter, plumber, builder etc (trades) there'll be no problem.

However, if your occupation is something like student, office worker, truck driver, you'll find it difficult to get quotes.

Keep in mind, I didn't say it's impossible. Just that the options are very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bear in mind that stating a false occupation will more than likely void your insurance.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Family member has a kangoo taxed and insured privately. No issues at all and it's the first I've heard of any issue. I live in the sticks so every second person has a van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

What way does taxing like a Renault Master van privately if it after 08. Does it go by emissions or old tax system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

What way does taxing like a Renault Master van privately if it after 08. Does it go by emissions or old tax system?

If you're taxing privately, it goes under the old, engine size, system, unfortunately..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

well that sucks, car tax in this country just a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

well that sucks, car tax in this country just a disaster

Thank the greens for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Thank the greens for that

And FF. Collective amnesia seems to have crept into this country regarding what that crowd did to us. Playing the good guys now ref water charges etc and seemingly Michael Martin is the peoples choice for taoiseach.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

jimd2 wrote: »
    And FF. Collective amnesia seems to have crept into this country regarding what that crowd did to us. Playing the good guys now ref water charges etc and seemingly Michael Martin is the peoples choice for taoiseach.

The mind boggles.

Not gettin into a political debate with ya and not that i care.bYes they were in coalition with ff but it was the greens baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not gettin into a political debate with ya and not that i care.bYes they were in coalition with ff but it was the greens baby.

Babies, even green babies, are entitled to life.

Diesel bad, petrol less bad, electric probably just as bad.

Not as bad as white vans - they are worser than all the rest.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement