Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Android..Motorola E?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Have an iphone 4...have it about 6 years...never had a problem with it.
    Thinking of switching to android (not looking at switching networks etc)

Important things for me...good camera and backup of photos which im sure will be fine using google+.
    Phone needs to be sturdy enough.
    I dont actually use my phone a whole lot...bit of internet browsing etc. nothing major.

Just looking for opinions on the motorola E, is there something better in a similar price bracket etc.

Cheers,
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The camera on Moto E is OK but not great IMO.

It doesn't have a camera flash either so is really only usable on a bright day.

Other than that it's a decent phone for the price but not for high quality photo / video.

I think Samsung Galaxy Core Prime is similar price bracket but I have no experience of it. Maybe someone else can give you feedback on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks Ten Pin...thats a deal breaker so!!...wasnt aware of lack of flash.
    Any recommendations around that price bracket?...Sony have good cameras but im guessing they are pretty expensive.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moto E would be disappointing in every way. It's about as low range as they come. Good for the price, but I have a feeling you would be expecting a lot from it.

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 could be an option, which is relatively cheap and easy to unlock for use with any network. It is a very large phone however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Samsung Galaxy Core Prime is one to look at, Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 gets good reviews too, you'll need to get it unlocked if you're not on their network. There are a few threads on here about it, so have a look on the feedback there and there's also an Android sub forum too for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

Had Iphones for past 5 years, and sick of horrible icloud, closed eco system, lack of phone space, and Google Photos are very important to me, swapped for Huawei GX8 about a month ago and my only regret is I didn't do this sooner. super camera, quality phone. have spoken to people that work in the telecoms sector (not the phone shops) and vibe I am getting is that people that know the telecoms industry think highly of Huawei. Was going to go for the S7 but couldn't justify the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

I switched from an iphone 5 to a moto e,

pros
    better phone reception
    good battery
    good solid phone
    compact size

cons
    camera - no flash
    got to thinking I'd like bigger screen and slimmer!!!

I would recommend the Moto G 3 16gb, sim free on amazon, better camera, 2gb ram

My daughter has a samsung core prime and it has poor coverage and is very laggy, would take the moto e over it any day as its quite fast. Camera on this is also not great.

just spotted post was from April, what did you go for in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

cowlick wrote: »
    I switched from an iphone 5 to a moto e...

Why on earth would you do that?

Switched for coverage issues, no point having an iPhone 5 if I am missing calls. And the Motorola has very good antenna which proved correct in my case. No more missed calls. Had a Samsung s4 before the iPhone and beautiful phone but even worse signal than the iPhone 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ah, I noticed that too. In a weak area a plastic phone gets a better signal.

We have the Moto E 2gen and its a great phone, except for the camera which is poor. I think the next Moto E the 3rd gen) might have a better camera.

• Advertisement
Advertisement