Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One exercise only

• 12-04-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi
    Im a rugby player sprinter and have to cut my gym time back to the absolute min. As a result ive been doing less and less exercises looking for best bang for buck.

So my question is if you could only do 1 exercise for the rest of your life what would it be?

Mine would be walking dumbell lunges... Heavy as you can. 50kg hopefully next week.

Since ive started these my high hamstring pain has has disappeared that ive had for 10 years. And i can do glute hams much easier!

So any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

newwan wrote: »
    Hi
    Im a rugby player sprinter and have to cut my gym time back to the absolute min. As a result ive been doing less and less exercises looking for best bang for buck.
    Why exactly do you need to cut gym time to the min?
    So my question is if you could only do 1 exercise for the rest of your life what would it be?
    In terms of working out as much of your body as possible I'd say it has to be clean and jerk. More or less hits every joint.

Heavy lunges, deadlifts, squats, etc are all great but they lack a significant upper body element. But it's all moot, you're never going to be in a situation where you can only do one exercise. Plus doing the same exercise everyday isn't a great approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Mellor wrote: »
    Why exactly do you need to cut gym time to the min?

In terms of working out as much of your body as possible I'd say it has to be clean and jerk. More or less hits every joint.

Heavy lunges, deadlifts, squats, etc are all great but they lack a significant upper body element. But it's all moot, you're never going to be in a situation where you can only do one exercise. Plus doing the same exercise everyday isn't a great approach.

Wanted a change up from cleans and that. Bodyweight snatch was enough...

Im thinking about a split clean...
    Reason for it? There is none. I do 3 exercises max per gym session and i program for 3 weeks on 1 down week. Then 3 new exercises or variants to keep it fresh. So i want some new variants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

Deadlift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Wanted a change up from cleans and that. Bodyweight snatch was enough...

Im thinking about a split clean...
    Reason for it? There is none. I do 3 exercises max per gym session and i program for 3 weeks on 1 down week. Then 3 new exercises or variants to keep it fresh. So i want some new variants

Please dont try doing split cleans,theyre not something you should try to learn.
    If you like hamstring work then I find RDL's deadly for that. Obviously in terms of explosive power theres power cleans(and power jerks) and power snatches(since you said you can do snatches and all that)

But RDl's,muscle snatches and front squats are really good and pretty fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭COH

To not answer the question - if I had so little time to train that I could only do one exercise I'd probably reevaluate whether or not I should be spending my precious few minutes in the gym at all.

To kind of answer the question - Probably thrusters. Can be done heavy or light, has an upper and lower component, can be varied to suit equipment available etc. Since the premise is that time is a limiting factor I'd rule out weightlifting as my time would be so limited as to preclude me from learning the requisite technique for it to actually be of any actual benefit

To actually answer the question - I'd probably squat, since I love squatting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Given you play rugby, deadlifts would give you the best return for time spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd probably squat.

But I'd reduce the rest time and squeeze in a few more exercises like RDLs and deadlifts.

Maybe some rowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

3 exercises per session,plus variable sessions leaves you with plenty of exercises slots. It would make a lot more sense to build a complete program that fits your time rather than tossing a couple of "bang for yer buck" exercise together randomly.

For example, I said clean and jerk for my only one lift answer, as it covers a lot. But I dont think it's actually a good option for your 3 exercisecs sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Trap bar deadlift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Maybe farmers walks or heavy carries if I could only do one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement