Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Paramedic 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

Folks... for those of you starting in Tallaght in September that are not from/living in Dublin, do you intend to commute everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Disappear

Skarey wrote: »
    Folks... for those of you starting in Tallaght in September that are not from/living in Dublin, do you intend to commute everyday?

Will stay for maybe three or four nights a week...get some studying done...two kids at home.....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

Skarey wrote: »

No way I'm commuting from galway daily. Be staying in the maldron hotel id say, they usually do deals for NAS students. Actually does anyone know what they charge .? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Frank112

Hi all,does anyone who is starting in ballinasloe in August heard anything about when contracts will be sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Thekid2010

No way I'm commuting from galway daily. Be staying in the maldron hotel id say, they usually do deals for NAS students. Actually does anyone know what they charge .? :)

50 a night I'll be doing the same

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Parapara2017

If its 50 a night that would be 1k in rent pm (not including weekend stays) would digs and house shares (maybe even air bnbs in some cases) not be better?

I know Dublin is bad but but 1k for 20nights?

If its 50 a night that would be 1k in rent pm (not including weekend stays) would digs and house shares (maybe even air bnbs in some cases) not be better?

I know Dublin is bad but but 1k for 20nights?

Yeah I've thought about the whole air bnb route too ... you could possibly get a long term deal .... :)

Some people share a room in the hotel.....doesn't be too bad then.....I'm lucky. A friend has a spare room not too far away so I'll stay there for a while...first two weeks are just induction. Then one week out observing...then it's time to get the head down......

I'm still waiting for my ndls letter....how long did it take for yours to come.....I think the man I was talking to you didn't really know what he was doing...kept putting me on hold for everything....I'll phone today and annoy them.
    I see the ballinasloe August class still haven't received contracts....that's bad....especially when you have to hand in your notice. I need over a months notice....
    Any more word or emails from HSE??

Disappear wrote: »
    Some people share a room in the hotel.....doesn't be too bad then.....I'm lucky. A friend has a spare room not too far away so I'll stay there for a while...first two weeks are just induction. Then one week out observing...then it's time to get the head down......

I'm still waiting for my ndls letter....how long did it take for yours to come.....I think the man I was talking to you didn't really know what he was doing...kept putting me on hold for everything....I'll phone today and annoy them.
    I see the ballinasloe August class still haven't received contracts....that's bad....especially when you have to hand in your notice. I need over a months notice....
    Any more word or emails from HSE??

I ordered mine on a thursday think I had it the following Tuesday at the latest.

No nothing since end of last week to say vetting went through.

Guess it's the long wait now.... oh and blood test results. Yea seen that about August class and contracts thought to myself there cutting fine ..?

• Advertisement

I thought I had read earlier here that some Ballinasloe contracts had or were going out. I have read other classes got their contracts a week before the start date... I think they will tell you everything is in order and they're just waiting to send contracts out if you ring them later for an update.

I emailed pre employment asking them when we could expect contracts, no response maybe I should have emailed contracting instead.

My NDLS letter took about a day, ordered it say wednesday afternoon and got it in the post friday morning or something. Id ring them again theres a designated number and menu option so whoever you talk to should Know. Did you pay for it yet? If the payment didn't go through it could hold it up?

Medicals for our class are finishing this week afaik, so results should be back by August...

Three weeks for each person for results to come back after test. I rang Ndls. They have no record of me asking for statement even though the person I ordered off was the same person I was talking to. He denied it. He said if I had made the call, there would be a record. I demanded his supervisor. I told him the exact time I made the call. They said they would listen to the call and ring me back. Still no call. I said why did you take 15 Euro out of account if I never called. They said they couldn't speculate on that.....really annoyed.....Still waiting on call back nearly an hour

Disappear wrote: »
    Three weeks for each person for results to come back after test. I rang Ndls. They have no record of me asking for statement even though the person I ordered off was the same person I was talking to. He denied it. He said if I had made the call, there would be a record. I demanded his supervisor. I told him the exact time I made the call. They said they would listen to the call and ring me back. Still no call. I said why did you take 15 Euro out of account if I never called. They said they couldn't speculate on that.....really annoyed.....Still waiting on call back nearly an hour
    Thats crap! NDLS are god awful a lot of the time, I never had a problem with the statement the two times I ordered it.

I'd be ringing and emailing them non stop demanding they post out your report immediately explaining the circumstances of the urgent need and the problems caused by their mistake. You could probably get an apology refund after if you kept pushing :P

Yep the last time I ordered it. Spoke to a lovely lady. Received it very shortly after. This time I was put on hold five times. I thought the man hadn't a clue. Now I know he hadn't a clue....

Garda vetting is done...

Can we get our contracts now????? :P

Garda vetting is done...

Can we get our contracts now????? :P

I think now is the time we sit back and wait. ..hopefully all paper work finished for us until contract.....

• Advertisement

Contracts would be sweet .. :P but yes waiting game has started :D

Great to see another piece gone through though

I thought I had read earlier here that some Ballinasloe contracts had or were going out. I have read other classes got their contracts a week before the start date... I think they will tell you everything is in order and they're just waiting to send contracts out if you ring them later for an update.

I emailed pre employment asking them when we could expect contracts, no response maybe I should have emailed contracting instead.

My NDLS letter took about a day, ordered it say wednesday afternoon and got it in the post friday morning or something. Id ring them again theres a designated number and menu option so whoever you talk to should Know. Did you pay for it yet? If the payment didn't go through it could hold it up?

Medicals for our class are finishing this week afaik, so results should be back by August...

Para u seem to have a fair idea of what you are talking about and have the medical done...what exactly is our bloods being tested for and what results are we waiting on about them I'm Judy confused by this part nobody can seem to answer it

Thekid2010 wrote: »
    Para u seem to have a fair idea of what you are talking about and have the medical done...what exactly is our bloods being tested for and what results are we waiting on about them I'm Judy confused by this part nobody can seem to answer it

We'll have u all your vaccines and proof of when you got them .?

My blood was taken because I cannot prove my immunity to the hep b even though I've gotten it. So now they will check if I need a booster / full 3 course or I'm fine.

That was my understanding of blood being taken :)

Everyone has their bloods done.

AFAIK the bloods were for any infectious diseases you may carry that you could transmit to a patient like Hepatitis B/C etc. And they'll check your immunity to things like chicken pox.

They told me testing positive for anything doesnt necessarily rule you out either, they have ways to determine the risk of you passing something on.

If you've had them done its all in the paperwork, I think it was the sheet / consent form that listed Hepatitis etc. If not you can look out for it (but I think medicals should be over now..)

The blood results are just part of the medical, just like the eye and hearing tests. we wont get the results back (unless you asked for them I guess).

We'll have u all your vaccines and proof of when you got them .?

My blood was taken because I cannot prove my immunity to the hep b even though I've gotten it. So now they will check if I need a booster / full 3 course or I'm fine.

That was my understanding of blood being taken :)
    I have proof of vaccines as a baby and in school,I never got any hep shots before so I'm going in and I know I've never gotten it so they'll have to give it to me then , so I'm guessing there's no need for a blood test until they have given me the shots ?or do they test for other things

• Advertisement

I have proof of vaccines as a baby and in school,I never got any hep shots before so I'm going in and I know I've never gotten it so they'll have to give it to me then , so I'm guessing there's no need for a blood test until they have given me the shots ?or do they test for other things
    You'll get two blood tests done.

Unless you've had one recently (dunno how recent) you'll get a Tetanus, whooping cough and i forgot what other one is booster shot and your first of three HEP B shots.

Bloods will be taken anyway like I said above ^

Then in 4 weeks you'll need to get your second HEP B shot and then in something like 10 weeks you will get a third HEP B shot and bloods taken to see if the vaccine has worked.

So you'll be poked 3 times at the medical! Enjoy! :P

And you haven't already had your medical right? So don't worry if you have questions they run through it all with you and its all in the information and consent forms. They're really nice down there.

You'll get two blood tests done.

Unless you've had one recently (dunno how recent) you'll get a Tetanus, whooping cough and i forgot what other one is booster shot and your first of three HEP B shots.

Bloods will be taken anyway like I said above ^

Then in 4 weeks you'll need to get your second HEP B shot and then in something like 10 weeks you will get a third HEP B shot and bloods taken to see if the vaccine has worked.

So you'll be poked 3 times at the medical! Enjoy! :P

And you haven't already had your medical right? So don't worry if you have questions they run through it all with you and its all in the information and consent forms. They're really nice down there.

What are the 2 blood tests for ? Medical on Monday I appreciate all the info

What are the 2 blood tests for ? Medical on Monday I appreciate all the info

Everyone has their bloods done.

AFAIK the bloods were for any infectious diseases you may carry that you could transmit to a patient like Hepatitis B/C etc. And they'll check your immunity to things like chicken pox.
    Second blood test is done after the third and final Hep B vaccine shot to check to see if the vaccine has worked, this would he around 10 weeks from your first shot.

Second blood test is done after the third and final Hep B vaccine shot to check to see if the vaccine has worked, this would he around 10 weeks from your first shot.

Yeah I thought as much, all this is new to me, have never got tested for anything like this and it's been a long time since I got bloods done ,just never got a clear answer as to what the tests were all about so thanks again helps alot, seems to be a few sound people starting

Yeah I thought as much, all this is new to me, have never got tested for anything like this and it's been a long time since I got bloods done ,just never got a clear answer as to what the tests were all about so thanks again helps alot, seems to be a few sound people starting

No worries! :)

The medical is very relaxed and again they're really friendly down there and happy to answer any questions you have and will run through it all.

No worries! :)

The medical is very relaxed and again they're really friendly down there and happy to answer any questions you have and will run through it all.

That helps alot , what happens after is it a simple well done you've passed after your finished or what happens then ?
    Or do the blood determine that

That helps alot , what happens after is it a simple well done you've passed after your finished or what happens then ?
    Or do the blood determine that
    Nothing really.

They said the bloods will take 3 weeks to come back and wished me luck on the course.

I have a feeling we wont hear anything now for a long time. Unless they need more documents or there are problems with your referees or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 N1ceWan

stevie06 wrote: »
    There is a training allowance for placements, it's approx 200 a week if I remember correctly. You only get this on placements away from the training college. Shift allowance and premium pay will be paid from when you start your internship depending on the roster.... Be aware that as a relief you may not get regular premium pay. There is OT available, but as more staff (ie you) come into an area OT will be reduced. When you qualify you will earn anywhere from low 30s to low 40 depending on weekends, late runs, OT and subs.

Does anyone know is this training allowance still there? And how it works exactly? Is it different for everyone depending on travel time /costs getting to clinical/ambo placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

N1ceWan wrote:
    Does anyone know is this training allowance still there? And how it works exactly? Is it different for everyone depending on travel time /costs getting to clinical/ambo placements?

No training allowance while in the college. But while out for observer week and 8week placement everyone gets €235.86 per week training allowance.

No training allowance while in the college. But while out for observer week and 8week placement everyone gets €235.86 per week training allowance.

Any advice for what pre learning we can do?

I've read getting an early start on the CPGs is good. Not sure what else? AFAIK the two weeks after the first observation are pretty intense study wise?

• Advertisement

I've read getting an early start on the CPGs is good. Not sure what else? AFAIK the two weeks after the first observation are pretty intense study wise?

Yeah same I'm just getting my head around the CPGs and medications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Pick up a basic A&P book. An old edition of Ross&Wilson is a good idea...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ross-and-Wilson-Anatomy-and-Physiology-in-Hea-Grant-BSc-PhD-RGN-Paperback-/302042978935?epid=86534565&hash=item46532a1a77:g:ebgAAOSwy3NZYfDH

Not sure of the level of A&P thought on the Para course, but I do think Paras should have understanding of A&P

• Registered Users Posts: 23 N1ceWan

Thanks for that. How do bank holidays work while in the college & on placements?
    Is there anything extra for there days? Extra holiday days/moneys etc?

Got an email saying they reviewed my file and needed one more thing and my original NDLS letter...

I hope they have it I sent it in - on its own as I emailed my documents.... They should have it.

Got the exact same e mail. Does the original ndls form have the information printed on two sides of the one page. Or is it on two pages....I sent in the e-mail pdf printed which the ndls stated was the same as they would send me....

The original NDLS form I got was 2 pages :)

How do you know whether they've reviewed ur files or not also anyway to check garda vetting results

How do you know whether they've reviewed ur files or not also anyway to check garda vetting results

You can ring them and see how progress is going, but I would say if you haven't heard from them all is going good. I haven't heard a thing anyway so far....

With the garda vetting you can track your progress on the garda vetting website. I got an email last week though to say it had gone through.

Yep. That's the same as the e-mail...I'll just print it out and send it off again

• Advertisement

I sent the original it alright, but I guess its lost / not with my file as I sent the rest of my documents in via Email. Hopefully it turns up...

I sent the original it alright, but I guess its lost / not with my file as I sent the rest of my documents in via Email. Hopefully it turns up...

They lost my hearing report. Lucky I had asked for a copy for myself so had to give that to occupational health...I'll just send them the report again..and then telephone reference this week....

Yeah they said they'd be seeking a final telephone reference from my manager in the coming days but I got the 24hr notice email two weeks ago

Yeah they said they'd be seeking a final telephone reference from my manager in the coming days but I got the 24hr notice email two weeks ago

I got that email too para and asked my reference did he receive a phone call yet nothing yet

So for those heading to Tallaght, whats your background? Are you coming from a medical background, nurse emt, efr etc or a non medical?

Any medical experience?

I'm not really from a professional medical background. Worked in medical imaging for a few months (Assisting not qualified), and no prior training other than CPR. Currently work in retail.

I can see how coming from a medical background can be of benefit initially after looking over the medications and CPGs, even for the simple things like recognising all of the abbreviations.

So for those heading to Tallaght, whats your background? Are you coming from a medical background, nurse emt, efr etc or a non medical?

Any medical experience?

I'm not really from a professional medical background. Worked in medical imaging for a few months (Assisting not qualified), and no prior training other than CPR. Currently work in retail.

I can see how coming from a medical background can be of benefit initially after looking over the medications and CPGs, even for the simple things like recognising all of the abbreviations.

Hey Para,
    I've no real medical experience either besides being an active CFR like yourself. I've a BSc in sports science with exercise physiology so hoping that'll all come back to me when back to college. :D should be a help. I'm just working in retail too at the minute never branched into a job relating to my degree as paramedic was the only job I wanted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

Hey Para,
    I've no real medical experience either besides being an active CFR like yourself. I've a BSc in sports science with exercise physiology so hoping that'll all come back to me when back to college. :D should be a help. I'm just working in retail too at the minute never branched into a job relating to my degree as paramedic was the only job I wanted :)

No no necesarily...all they want to do at this stage will be strip ye all down to basics. It can be harder to do that with people who have a bground in first aid. So in many ways it is an advantage to be going in as a blank canvas! I know that the instructors sometimes dread having to hear from the people who think they know it all because they have do a bit of work for the voluntaries.

My telephone reference was done this morning......hopefully that's all done now....I am an EMT...and work in the medical profession at the minute.......we'll all help each other....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭PadraigPearse

Hey Para,

Ive a bsc in sports science too :)
    Im an emt as well but as for those with no background i wouldnt worry. Once you're willing to work youll be fine! Plus as the post above said we'll all help each otber

Ah yeah heads down September!

My telephone ref was this morning but my manager missed it, they left a message to call back and sent the email form so i guess either will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭flix1

Any of you that have some of the core text books, or if you can find out what core texts will be used then I suggest it is worth your while doing a little reading before the course begins. I'm not talking about slogging, but definitely to get familiar...even to have knowlege of basic physiology would stand to you...I wouldn't bother looking at the treatment or meds, but just the physiology, because really all you are talking about here is learning off by heart...and it can be a lot to learn some of this stuff in short periods of time. If you have come this far, then you know whats involved. Best of luck y'all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement