Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Paramedic 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Disappear

There are two courses not on HSELand the dignity for work one and the second manual handling one. I emailed them and they said not to worry about it that it will be covered in induction week :)

Brilliant. Just doing my last one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Best of luck to all those starting tallagh Monday. Being envious of ye is an understatement!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Thekid2010

Disappear wrote: »
    Brilliant. Just doing my last one now.

Guys I've tried uploading my certs to the module it's saying my file is too big , what do I here, have any of you encountered this problem. It's saying min PDF size is 1mb

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

Thekid2010 wrote: »
    Guys I've tried uploading my certs to the module it's saying my file is too big , what do I here, have any of you encountered this problem. It's saying min PDF size is 1mb

Yes I did. So I had to save all my PDF documents to my laptop. Then go online and search PDF compressor, can think of the two I used but it was like the 1st two on google search. Click in and it will ask you to select file to compress. Just do that and save the compressed file it shrinks the size from 3mb to less than one. You'll have no problem uploading to moodle then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mar2313

Does anyone know what the story is with needing time off during the course of the training (2 weeks)??

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Is there any allowance's for training!

Id love to be a Paramedic but the 10k+ drop would be painful :(

When your on Ambo and hospital placements during your first year (20 weeks in total) you get a training allowance and it's fairly decent. Don't forget you get subsistence, bank hol, weekend allowances + your basic. There's always the AP course you can do which is a 10k increase in pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Hey guys, following this thread for a while. Didn't have the conventional entry requirement for NAS. Went back to education this year and applied in the UK via the university route. Starting in two weeks over in the UK. Best of luck with training, hope to see some updates on here on how everything is going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

dmc36 wrote: »
    When your on Ambo and hospital placements during your first year (20 weeks in total) you get a training allowance and it's fairly decent. Don't forget you get subsistence, bank hol, weekend allowances + your basic. There's always the AP course you can do which is a 10k increase in pay.

I'm probably picking you up wrong but if you take on the AP course for the 10k pay rise you are doing it for the wrong reason. Also, a new entrant shouldn't even consider the AP course for a few years until they get sufficient experience under their belt.

Best of luck to you all next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

I'm probably picking you up wrong but if you take on the AP course for the 10k pay rise you are doing it for the wrong reason. Also, a new entrant shouldn't even consider the AP course for a few years until they get sufficient experience under their belt.

Best of luck to you all next week.

I agree it's not for the money, I should have said the career progression is very good. The advanced paramedic course requires an MCQ and interview before u even make it to the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

I wonder how the guys that started this week are getting on......

dmc36 wrote: »
    I agree it's not for the money, I should have said the career progression is very good. The advanced paramedic course requires an MCQ and interview before u even make it to the panel.

Yep. I am one. ;)

Would love too hear myself. I saw on the national ambulance services facebook that Paramedic Class 24 were doing a mass casualty excersie in the NAS Ballinasloe training centre, the photos looked great. People in that class were on this thread or the other one I think. Starting my induction in the UK on the 25th, cant wait.

I wonder how the guys that started this week are getting on......
    Would love too hear myself. I saw on the national ambulance services facebook that Paramedic Class 24 were doing a mass casualty excersie in the NAS Ballinasloe training centre, the photos looked great. People in that class were on this thread or the other one I think. Starting my induction in the UK on the 25th, cant wait.

Edit, double post, Sorry

Best of luck with the new journey Wanderlust!

Best of luck with the new journey Wanderlust!
    Thank you Schindlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ccallaghan

Anyone hear anything/any word on the street as to when the rest of us on the panel can expect the next EoI is to come about?

ccallaghan wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything/any word on the street as to when the rest of us on the panel can expect the next EoI is to come about?

I believe jan/feb is next class. What panel are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 toger21

Hows everyone getting on in Tallaght?

I think theres a new class starting tomorrow? There was a few (really) new entrants doing observer shifts in various bases around the country earlier this week.....I had the pleasure of a couple of them. Anyone on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pushkinn

Hello all, I was successful in gaining a place on the panel in July. I was pretty far down the list (in the 30s) but happy all the same. Does anybody know how long I may be waiting for my turn to be called? I'm easy about Tallaght/Ballenasloe.

• Advertisement

pushkinn wrote: »
    Hello all, I was successful in gaining a place on the panel in July. I was pretty far down the list (in the 30s) but happy all the same. Does anybody know how long I may be waiting for my turn to be called? I'm easy about Tallaght/Ballenasloe.

Going by recent trends , but it's all guesswork cos there could be more or less courses planned but I would say maybe second round of either ballinasloe/Tallagh class's in 2018. May/June is say.

12 months is the average waiting time apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanreadie

Anyone know when the next intake of student paramedics would be?

Hope all is well with the new class. I'm three weeks in on the university route in the UK and loving it

I believe jan/feb is next class. What panel are you on?

I interviewed in May, 2017 and got placed #1 on panel, after the last EoI I was told I was #89 in OoM if that helps anyone else determine their position that's wondering :) Hoping Ballinasloe EoI for 2018 will be open soon!! Would prefer Tallaght but afraid to not express interest as I hear that NAS are fulfilling a lot of their needs by employing already qualified paramedics from UK or those who traveled to UK to study :/

I interviewed in May, 2017 and got placed #1 on panel, after the last EoI I was told I was #89 in OoM if that helps anyone else determine their position that's wondering :) Hoping Ballinasloe EoI for 2018 will be open soon!! Would prefer Tallaght but afraid to not express interest as I hear that NAS are fulfilling a lot of their needs by employing already qualified paramedics from UK or those who traveled to UK to study :/

I hope the NAS will still offer training places to those already on panel . twud b a disaster to be on it 6 or 9 months and then for the panel to be disbanded if they had enough paramedics recruited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Where did you hear that?

I hear that NAS are fulfilling a lot of their needs by employing already qualified paramedics from UK or those who traveled to UK to study :/

But sure would not paramedics from the uk have to train here also? Different CPGs/meds etc

But sure would not paramedics from the uk have to train here also? Different CPGs/meds etc

They would only have to up-skilling, wouldn't have to train all over again. Very quick turn around in from up-skilling to getting them out on duty.

I don't know numbers but I would imagine it would only be a handful AT BEST who would be coming back, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

• Advertisement

Schindlers Pissed;104940098I don't know numbers but I would imagine it would only be a handful AT BEST who would be coming back, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    Yeah, it seems weird. Correct me if I'm wrong but with college in the UK you'd have to work with them to pay back your fees. Therefore, people would be more inclined to stay there. Also, once you start working there, wouldn't you be more likely to want to stay there?
    I guess it's a matter of how many qualified paramedics they are getting. I doubt they would completely fulfil their needs or even make the majority with them.

Personally I think you could park up your worries and concentrate on your own NAS path. There is a constant recruitment drive from overseas and it's never made any impact on numbers.....

EOIs out for ballinasloe for end of jan and I believe tallagh course to come mid/end feb. The long wait for some will be over !

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ziballz87

I was number 2 on my panel- Just got my overall panel number there and I'm number 108!! Crazy.

Also they said next tallaght course Feb. No exact date yet.

Anyone here know what kind of holidays the course follows? Easter/ Christmas etc? Or do we run straight through?

I was 14th on my panel and I’m 66 overall. Doesn’t look like I’ll be making it into the Jan or feb class

Crazy numbers is right!!!! But then looking back at a post here on June 9th, one person was told his overall position was 96 but order of merit was 55! Make that one out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Crazy numbers is right!!!! But then looking back at a post here on June 9th, one person was told his overall position was 96 but order of merit was 55! Make that one out!

Your order of merit was 55th on your recruitment panel which is supplementing the overall national panel of which you are 96th on.
    (For clarity, the person who posted june 9th)

Was just emailed the following

Your order of merit will be determined when the expression of interest closes.

Order of merit will be based on each candidate who expresses an interest in the class.

You panel placing will be different for each class and your order of merit will also also vary depending on the location of the class

I just talked to HBS recruit there again to get clarity.

I'm number 108 on the overall panel, however of all the people who have expressed interest for Ballinasloe so far ahead of me, I'm number 46 in order of merit. If more people ahead of me express interest then my number will change.

• Advertisement

I’ve just emailed them to ask where I am so far in order of merit. They must love us with all the emails they’re getting!

Looking at numbers here I think I was happier before the EOI... going to be a serious long road. Starting to wonder!

Looking at numbers here I think I was happier before the EOI... going to be a serious long road. Starting to wonder!

The HBS guy told me not to be disheartened. He said people keep their place on the list but timing is not right etc. So although it seems long it's not really that bad. If that makes sense! So here's to hoping!

What exactly is the Order of Merit? Not sure if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

Hana98 wrote: »
    What exactly is the Order of Merit? Not sure if I get it.

In all honesty I don't think anyone does, including me! It's as clear as mud!!

People were given an overall placing on the panel and then after the May interviews and last EOI they started giving out details of your overall placing on the panel and an order of merit number so you had two numbers. Not sure anyone knows the significance of either, if they do please enlighten the rest of us?

Best thing to do is just sit tight and see what happens after the EOI closes tomorrow. I know a few people on this thread weren't expecting to get into the recent Tallaght class based on numbers they'd been given and then made the cut. It really is just a waiting game.

For example:
    A,B,C,D,E and F are all on panel. A being 1st etc. 1 place comes up in Dublin. A and B dosent want Dublin so don't show EOI. C and D ,E and F show EOI. Ds overall place is 4th on panel and 2nd in order of merit. So C gets the place. 1 place comes next in ballinasloe. A,B,D,E and F want it. D's new position is 3rd overall but also 3rd in order of merit.
    Hope that don't confuse more!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

yes quiet confusing indeed. I rang and was told my overall placement is 59 but not sure where on this as he said won't know till end of submission date to see who has expressed interest. just suppose it's just a waiting game...

I’m 66 overall and 26 in order of merit for Ballinasloe so far. You’re definitely good to go in January!

mar2313 wrote: »
    I’m 66 overall and 26 in order of merit for Ballinasloe so far. You’re definitely good to go in January!

oh hope it's true.. i said was it nationally i'm 59th and he said yes but not for this campaign so i'm just hoping he wasnt' saying i was 59th for jan!!!!. what panel are you on?

Sounds like he was talking about overall. I’m on the panel that had interviews beginning of May. What about you?

mar2313 wrote: »
    Sounds like he was talking about overall. I’m on the panel that had interviews beginning of May. What about you?

Yes same as that. my letter said i was 7th on that panel. ok so fingers crossed. maybe you will be there also due to people deferring for Tallaght in Feb??

• Advertisement
Advertisement