Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

april phonecalls/ may intake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

PCbobby wrote: »
    You've all forgotten the most important piece of electrical equipment... The electric abs belt.

My 9 year old daughter has a 6 pack that would make you jealous

I'd invest in gel for hair too. They don't like whispy bits cos I attempted to put it up at induction and was told definitely no!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

What intake number will you guys be?

I left this assuming somebody smarter than me (anybody) would be able to answer you.

I'm not sure buddy. But assuming October/ November first intake for 1405 we must be 7 or 8??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NDC4

Sorry, first post on this. I've been keeping an eye on this forum for a few weeks. I have loads of questions (sorry) but would be very grateful if they could be answered.

1. How long do you usually wait following a medical for a call??

2. When are the intakes?? April?? May?? June?? When abouts in each month are they??

3. I know there's an induction weekend, how soon after 'the call' would this be? And also, how soon after the induction weekend do you start at GV?

4. Last but not least, what happens if you've already booked holidays and they're paid for? Especially if you get a call and they want you to head up straight away. What if you've to work, say a month's notice at your current job?

Sorry for so many questions, but some clarification would be brilliant. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

NDC4 wrote: »
    Sorry, first post on this. I've been keeping an eye on this forum for a few weeks. I have loads of questions (sorry) but would be very grateful if they could be answered.

1. How long do you usually wait following a medical for a call??

2. When are the intakes?? April?? May?? June?? When abouts in each month are they??

3. I know there's an induction weekend, how soon after 'the call' would this be? And also, how soon after the induction weekend do you start at GV?

4. Last but not least, what happens if you've already booked holidays and they're paid for? Especially if you get a call and they want you to head up straight away. What if you've to work, say a month's notice at your current job?

Sorry for so many questions, but some clarification would be brilliant. Thanks.

1 how long is a piece of string? In all honesty that's how it seems to be, some folk get are lucky and have enough time between medicals and just sneak in with a squad with a few days after passing, others have to wait months perhaps. When you get the call depends on where you're on the merit list.

2 Intakes are usually every 5 weeks

3 induction is usually a couple of weekends after you get the call. You usually start 5 weeks after the calls

4 5 weeks notice is generally enough for most employers. As for the holidays it's entirely up to you. Youll only be given a day off for very exceptional circumstances and I can tell you now we've had folk in our squad who've had to cancel the holiday. Some are only getting a day off for their wedding and other a day of for the both of their child. It's like that cos the training is supposed to be very full on and intense. Basically youll have the choice of the holiday or the job if it's during training! Some holiday providers will shift mine you've put down to a different date if you ask. If it was me I know which one I'd be doing, especially towards the end of a recruitment campaigns where you're never guaranteed another intake.

Mop a top wrote: »
    1 how long is a piece of string? In all honesty that's how it seems to be, some folk get are lucky and have enough time between medicals and just sneak in with a squad with a few days after passing, others have to wait months perhaps. When you get the call depends on where you're on the merit list.

2 Intakes are usually every 5 weeks

3 induction is usually a couple of weekends after you get the call. You usually start 5 weeks after the calls

4 5 weeks notice is generally enough for most employers. As for the holidays it's entirely up to you. Youll only be given a day off for very exceptional circumstances and I can tell you now we've had folk in our squad who've had to cancel the holiday. Some are only getting a day off for their wedding and other a day of for the both of their child. It's like that cos the training is supposed to be very full on and intense. Basically youll have the choice of the holiday or the job if it's during training! Some holiday providers will shift mine you've put down to a different date if you ask. If it was me I know which one I'd be doing, especially towards the end of a recruitment campaigns where you're never guaranteed another intake.

Oh definitely agree with you. Just trying to work out if say May intake is very soon, the following intake would be 5 weeks after or so. Which could clash with my trip, but if it's gotta be ditched it's gotta be ditched. Same with working notice. Just trying to think when the following intake would be after May?? Coz being realistic now, it's already late April. Not counting my chickens anyway lol.

Oh definitely agree with you. Just trying to work out if say May intake is very soon, the following intake would be 5 weeks after or so. Which could clash with my trip, but if it's gotta be ditched it's gotta be ditched. Same with working notice. Just trying to think when the following intake would be after May?? Coz being realistic now, it's already late April. Not counting my chickens anyway lol.

calls went out last week so next set of calls say mid-may (assuming the 5 weeks in-between sets of calls and there being another 1405 call) which would then indicate sort of end of June start date in GV.......and as above, induction is couple weeks after calls so say end of may induction weekend.

take it you have just completed your medical?

calls went out last week so next set of calls say mid-may (assuming the 5 weeks in-between sets of calls and there being another 1405 call) which would then indicate sort of end of June start date in GV.......and as above, induction is couple weeks after calls so say end of may induction weekend.

take it you have just completed your medical?

Yeah. Not long ago. I'm not holding my breathe like, just trying to work out a rough timescale. If that was the case then my trip would be fine. 11th-22nd June is dates I'm hoping to avoid either induction or start (if I was selected).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 schmeichel

Yeah. Not long ago. I'm not holding my breathe like, just trying to work out a rough timescale. If that was the case then my trip would be fine. 11th-22nd June is dates I'm hoping to avoid either induction or start (if I was selected).

This wouldn't be a trip to France would it?!

I've had to cancel mine!!

schmeichel wrote: »
    This wouldn't be a trip to France would it?!

I've had to cancel mine!!

Yes lol. Dates give it away?? Hopefully it won't come to that for me.

Yes lol. Dates give it away?? Hopefully it won't come to that for me.

They did!! I was due to go 10-17th June. Will just have to wait until they qualify again in four years' time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 JROB

I don't suppose any if you lucky ones who have received calls missed it first time when they rang? Do they leave a voicemail or call back? I can't really answer my phone at work unless I'm on a break, and worried if I do get a call that I'll miss it and they won't call back lol

JROB wrote: »
    I don't suppose any if you lucky ones who have received calls missed it first time when they rang? Do they leave a voicemail or call back? I can't really answer my phone at work unless I'm on a break, and worried if I do get a call that I'll miss it and they won't call back lol

they called me three times and on each occasion (due to bad reception) it cut off.

Eventually they gave up and emailed me the recruitment number to call them back. lol

I was quite stressed during this.

Haha I can imagine! Well I'm glad they don't just say, "f#@k it, he's missed his chance", and sack you off!

Haha I can imagine! Well I'm glad they don't just say, "f#@k it, he's missed his chance", and sack you off!

precisely what I was worrying about after the first call cut-out, and the second, and the third....... :P

I needn't worry though. One look up and down at me either at induction or day one and they'll be concocting various methods of getting shot of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

They will leave you an inconspicuous voicemail with a number to call back

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pcpandaman

Just catching up on this thread as reguards holidays....i had to cancel mine in september as it was a case of job or holiday an im in the may intake

There is no exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Pcpandaman wrote:
    Just catching up on this thread as reguards holidays....i had to cancel mine in september as it was a case of job or holiday an im in the may intake

Pcpandaman wrote:
    There is no exceptions

This scares me a little. I'm getting married in Greece in a couple of years and my better half wants to go in for C4, whenever it may be. I don't want to put a deposit down yet because if he gets in then the whole wedding is scuppered.

Eugh.

Fantastic news this afternoon lads. More calls are outgoing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭PCbobby

Looking for more names posting on the boards today then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

Those getting the call today - when we're your medicals

Last week mate!

God that's a quick turn around.
    My medical is next week!

calls are going out people.

delilahbeau
    Dingdong1234
    Elorfanato
    iamveryhopeful
    PCBobby
    Pcpandaman
    schmeichel

I wonder how I know...... :P
    for reasons unbeknownst to moi, I cannot amend my original post. Therefore, list of boardies who have received a call last week/this week is as follows...

delilahbeau
    Dingdong1234
    Elorfanato
    iamveryhopeful
    PCDementedFerret
    Pcpandaman
    schmeichel

JROB
    Officer D. O. Nut (VERY GOOD)
    NDC4
    alleycat123

If I have omitted anyone then I do apologise in advance. As has already been discovered on here I am stupid rather than hopeful :)

for reasons unbeknownst to moi, I cannot amend my original post. Therefore, list of boardies who have received a call last week/this week is as follows...

delilahbeau
    Dingdong1234
    Elorfanato
    iamveryhopeful
    PCDementedFerret
    Pcpandaman
    schmeichel

JROB
    Officer D. O. Nut (VERY GOOD)

If I have omitted anyone then I do apologise in advance. As has already been discovered on here I am stupid rather than hopeful :)

I like how you edited this #ferret

May is happening. The last calls are also going out as late intakes for the may squad. I believe it to be the last intake for C2 (I'm in that squad).

NDC is in. We're on lucky 10, people!!

• Advertisement

May is happening. The last calls are also going out as late intakes for the may squad. I believe it to be the last intake for C2 (I'm in that squad).

NDC is in. We're on lucky 10, people!!
    Add your reply here.
    We're have you got the info these ate the last calls?
    My medicals on Tuesday do u think I'd have a chance for May intake

Add your reply here. We're have you got the info these ate the last calls? My medicals on Tuesday do u think I'd have a chance for May intake

From what they said to someone who was called today, would imply that they are taking a break after may intake. They didn't say it to me, so I won't post it here. Good authority though.

Add your reply here. We're have you got the info these ate the last calls? My medicals on Tuesday do u think I'd have a chance for May intake

From what they said to someone who was called today, would imply that they are taking a break after may intake. They didn't say it to me, so I won't post it here. Good authority though.
    Add your reply here.
    Not what I want to be hearing.
    Is the induction weekend within the next 2weeks?

Add your reply here. Not what I want to be hearing. Is the induction weekend within the next 2weeks?

Affirmitive

Obviously it's a residential for the first while, but one question... Do you have to stay up there on the Sunday night?? Or do you have to be there for say 8/9 Monday morning!?

• Advertisement

I managed to purchase a new suit last night for induction weekend. Lets hope I remember to wear it lol.

Also, apologies in advance if I show anybody up. Will Smith (MIB) "You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭PCbobby

Anyone hand their notice in yet?

NDC4 wrote:
    Obviously it's a residential for the first while, but one question... Do you have to stay up there on the Sunday night?? Or do you have to be there for say 8/9 Monday morning!?

You've to be there for first thing. During residential you're better coming back on the Sunday night. As there's no guarantee what time we'll be made get up on the Monday morning, with drills and dress parades etc.

Welcome to the club!

PCbobby wrote: »
    Anyone hand their notice in yet?
    not yet buddy. Was thinking post induction weekend when **** gets real :)

Yo!

If there are any girls lurking out there and going in for the may intake /girls that are started already - sports direct are doing two pairs of black logoless gym bottoms (3/4 length USA Pro's) for £22. Picked them up today. You're not going to get a better price for the quality and because they are logoless, are suitable for gym class during 9-5 in GV.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

they dont have to be totally logoless, a small logo is totally acceptable as long as they're black.
    It's just far easier to find something with a small logo than no logo ;)

Tinfoilcap wrote:
    they dont have to be totally logoless, a small logo is totally acceptable as long as they're black. It's just far easier to find something with a small logo than no logo

I say logoless, the logo is tiny and black on black leggings, but at least there'll be no querying if the logo is too big etc.

Oh so we've to get the black p.e gear too ffs :(

Just on the PE gear - what is the regulations around socks and trainers? Is it white/black socks, and black trainers?

I'm assuming black socks, however someone said in here that any colour of trainer is OK - I was going to go buy black ones, but apparently that's not needed.

• Advertisement

anyone getting nervous about the induction weekend??

or is it just me :'(

or is it just me :'(

Just you, the rest of us are hardcore. I registered the car with them this morning. It's all very real, and I cannot wait.

ah bollix. I've still to do that. As before I just cannot decide on whether to take the Bentley or the Rolls.....

Registering the car peeps?

JROB wrote:

You need to register with GV what your bringing a car. Just phone them with the number plate. Tells you to in the welcome pack.

If you need number, pm me

Yeah I'm not with it today, read that all just slipped my mind. Doh

JROB wrote:

You need to register with GV what your bringing a car. Just phone them with the number plate. Tells you to in the welcome pack.

If you need number, pm me
    I'll cheekily take that number off ya. (in work atm.....) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 takemeaway

Just had a look at this today again and saw that people who had medicals a week ago got this call.

Failed my medical a couple of weeks ago...heart broken, especially knowing I could have been getting a call.

Appealing the decision, just hate all this stress and limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Whataboutye

How long away is the induction weekend, too close I suppose for a wee suprise phone call this week to get into this intake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

schmeichel wrote: »
    Just on the PE gear - what is the regulations around socks and trainers? Is it white/black socks, and black trainers?

They can be whatever you want. Just the tops and bottoms they want to be black.

Advertisement