Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend - Westport or Newport

Options
  • 12-04-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭

So heading to Mayo for a weekend - have been many times.. and usually stay in Westport. Though I am considering Newport.. though not sure..
    I can get accommodation in either..

We will be hiking so not really looking for mad night life - I guess we just wanna avail of shops/a supermarket/pubs..

Westport is great but its sooo busy... while we are not hermits.. we would like a bit of banter at night and some good eating options.. but does Newport have a choice?
    Newport I am thinking - if it has enough amenities.. it could be cool - more authentic...

What say ye? Stick with Westport or head to Newport?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

sporina wrote: »
    So heading to Mayo for a weekend - have been many times.. and usually stay in Westport. Though I am considering Newport.. though not sure..
    I can get accommodation in either..

We will be hiking so not really looking for mad night life - I guess we just wanna avail of shops/a supermarket/pubs..

Westport is great but its sooo busy... while we are not hermits.. we would like a bit of banter at night and some good eating options.. but does Newport have a choice?
    Newport I am thinking - if it has enough amenities.. it could be cool - more authentic...

What say ye? Stick with Westport or head to Newport?

Newport has hotel, pubs, somewhere to eat and is different. Why not. You've got Mulranny a little further down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

yop wrote: »
    Newport has hotel, pubs, somewhere to eat and is different. Why not. You've got Mulranny a little further down.

yeah thinking about it - is there a decent supermarket in newport?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

yeah thinking about it - is there a decent supermarket in newport?

I'm not sure how big it is, but I'd say it should be fine. Kelly butchers is there, award winning black pudding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

There's a big enough Centra in the town. Would be fine for a weekend. If not then the Westport Lidl is only 15 minutes drive so not too much hassle to drop in on your way over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The Centra in Newport is a former SuperValu, in terms of size it'd be a either very large convenience store or a very modest supermarket.

There's a bunch of different pubs in the town, enough for a small pub crawl.

Food in the Grainne Uaile is very good, and in the hotel the indian is usually very good as they have a chef from that region.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies..

and like, would you have the craic in Newport at night? Would there be other tourists there or would it be very local? Not that thats a bad thing...

I like Westport but its so busy..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The bigger pubs would have a decent crowd on a summer weekend night. Other nights would be quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Fantastic bar food in nevins In tiernaur. About 10mins in a car. Book ahead as it can quite busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Pub scene in Newport can be very quiet on any given night. +1 for Nevins.

Corcorans clothes shop seems to be always open whatever time I pass.

• Advertisement

we will be there 3rd last weekend of May..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Trojan wrote: »
    The Centra in Newport is a former SuperValu, in terms of size it'd be a either very large convenience store or a very modest supermarket.

There's a bunch of different pubs in the town, enough for a small pub crawl.

Food in the Grainne Uaile is very good, and in the hotel the indian is usually very good as they have a chef from that region.

Second the curries, always very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Agree re Nevins at Tiernaur. Always seems to be busy even tho there are few customers within walking distance

cool - but like would you have a bit of craic in Newport on the weekend? (without the mayhem of Westport)..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

cool - but like would you have a bit of craic in Newport on the weekend? (without the mayhem of Westport)..

It would be more subuded, as far as I know there are no late bars, but some would probablly serve a bit longer into the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Food in Newport House is excellent. Worth a visit if you are there. Handy walk from any of the pubs.
    Havent tried the accommodation, but as B&B would guess it is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Food in Newport House is excellent. Worth a visit if you are there. Handy walk from any of the pubs.
    Havent tried the accommodation, but as B&B would guess it is good.

Newport House Hotel

Yes, good for dinner, but better to book. Din't think there is a bar trade there.

Good pubs would be the Bridge House ( Walshes ), Chambers on Georges St, Oak Bar & McMenamons on Meddlicott St ( N side of bridge )

I don't have any recent knowledge of social life in those bars.

Westport is a better bet if going out for t he night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It sounds like you are wanting a bit of craic so go for Westport but maybe avoid the busier pubs if you are wanting a bit of peace.

Advertisement