Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting the boat (Moving with car to England)

• 12-04-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

Well Lads,

Come august time I'll be moving to Manchester. I'll be in full time education over there. It's all funded through the NHS and I'll be classed as a student in a university.

I will need a car over there and wondering what's the sceal with bringing the old citroen along with me (with Irish plates). Insurance aside, can I do this as a student? I'm going round in circles with Gov.co.uk and the EU seems to think I would be okay

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/united-kingdom/index_en.htm
    Students

If you are a student in the United Kingdom from another EU country you:

do not have to register your own car with the authorities here for your period of study. This also applies if the car is owned by your parents, who are not resident in the United Kingdom.
    do not have to pay registration and/or road taxes on it in the United Kingdom.
    do not have to buy additional car insurance for your period of study here, but this may depend on the cover you hold.

I can find details on temp imports for non-eu folks, can't find any information for EU people.

Want to see if it's easier to buy over there or perhaps import it formally.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Students are outside the usual rules on registration and it applies for the length of the studies. However, insurance, residents parking permits, annual NCT etc may mean that you'd find it easier, funds permitting, having a locally registered car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Well Lads,

Come august time I'll be moving to Manchester. I'll be in full time education over there. It's all funded through the NHS and I'll be classed as a student in a university.

I will need a car over there and wondering what's the sceal with bringing the old citroen along with me (with Irish plates). Insurance aside, can I do this as a student? I'm going round in circles with Gov.co.uk and the EU seems to think I would be okay

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

I can find details on temp imports for non-eu folks, can't find any information for EU people.

The quote you have is for EU citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So it seems you don't have to register or tax car over there. However, you still need to have updated tax, nct, insurance from here so speak to your insurer as they usually only allow 45 days abroad.

Probably best off to get another car over there and bring that back with you after study finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

Op.. You have probably already looked at this

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

I have cut and pasted the relevant part to exceeding six months see the bolded bit below referring to students.

Marcusm and biko make very valid points to on the practicalities in particular insurance

"Using foreign number plates for longer than 6 months

You might be able to use a vehicle with foreign number plates for longer than 6 months if all of the following apply:

you normally live outside the EU
    you’re in the UK for a set period as a student or worker
    you claim relief from VAT and duty
    HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will give you a customs relief form when you claim relief – show it to police if you’re stopped when driving the vehicle."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think you'll be much better off in the long run to purchase over there as cars are generally cheaper in the UK and the car can be brought back without you having to pay VRT once you've lived in the UK for long enough.

Everyone I know who studied in the UK came home with a nice car.

A student doesn't get a VRT exemption.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    Op.. You have probably already looked at this

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

I have cut and pasted the relevant part to exceeding six months see the bolded bit below referring to students.

Marcusm and biko make very valid points to on the practicalities in particular insurance

"Using foreign number plates for longer than 6 months

You might be able to use a vehicle with foreign number plates for longer than 6 months if all of the following apply:

you normally live outside the EU
    you’re in the UK for a set period as a student or worker
    you claim relief from VAT and duty
    HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will give you a customs relief form when you claim relief – show it to police if you’re stopped when driving the vehicle."

That's the bit that's confusing me. I don't normally live outside the EU :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

That's the bit that's confusing me. I don't normally live outside the EU :pac:

Yes I should have read that a little closer " if all of the following apply":o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Well Lads,

You can legally keep your car there for the whole period of your studies.
    However remember, that if you start working there - even part time or even couple of hours a week, this exemption does not apply anymore.

biko wrote: »
    However, you still need to have updated tax, nct, insurance from here so speak to your insurer as they usually only allow 45 days abroad.

They might only limit cover for 30, 60, 90 or so days abroad (never seen policy limiting to 45), but they can not apply this limitation to third party cover, so no matter how long OP stays there, car will still be road legal.

CiniO wrote: »
    You can legally keep your car there for the whole period of your studies.
    However remember, that if you start working there - even part time or even couple of hours a week, this exemption does not apply anymore.

Hmm. Might just be easier to sell here and buy over there. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The least suitable option would be to "import" your car to the Uk and register it there.
    It will always be flagged as an import (regardless of what car it is.....even a Rover :confused:) and subject to an insurance loading. This makes it harder to sell on, and more expensive for you to insure it over there.

Just as an aside a brother of mine has been teaching over in Southampton for the last 4 years and is still driving his Irish registered Civic. He has it Insured and Taxed here but no NCT. I gave up telling him to sell it here and buy over there ages ago......

Feck that then so.

Insurance is looking as spendy there too. Could be expensive.

What car are you thinking about taking?

CiniO wrote: »
    What car are you thinking about taking?

2003 Citroen C5 2.0hdi. Not worth a huge amount.

2003 Citroen C5 2.0hdi. Not worth a huge amount.

So.
    Insurance wise, you don't really have to worry, as third party is all you'd need. I doubt you'd claim for own car damage or theft if that was to affect your NCB. Then fact that you're staying in UK for longer doesn't really matter, as your Irish insurer still must offer unlimied third party cover.

Tax - would be much cheaper to tax similar car in UK. If you're planning to keep it taxed in Ireland, it's probably not worth it. Other option is to drive it in UK without valid Irish tax, which IMO is legal. But many on this forum won't agree with me.

NCT - you'd need to keep that up to date, so that means a trip to Ireland once a year. Voluntary early testing now, means you can do NCT just before you go and have it valid for a whole year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I think you'll be much better off in the long run to purchase over there as cars are generally cheaper in the UK and the car can be brought back without you having to pay VRT once you've lived in the UK for long enough.

Everyone I know who studied in the UK came home with a nice car.

Living as a student does not transfer your residence, so no entitlement to bring back a car VRT free. It may still be cheaper to have a UK car while you are there, but don't bring it back on your holidays.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The least suitable option would be to "import" your car to the Uk and register it there.
    It will always be flagged as an import (regardless of what car it is.....even a Rover :confused:) and subject to an insurance loading. This makes it harder to sell on, and more expensive for you to insure it over there.

Just as an aside a brother of mine has been teaching over in Southampton for the last 4 years and is still driving his Irish registered Civic. He has it Insured and Taxed here but no NCT. I gave up telling him to sell it here and buy over there ages ago......

Yea, I might just end up keeping it for a few months until I get my head round the place.

Advertisement