Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deftones - Gore

• 12-04-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else giving this a listen? I have only listened about five times or so, so it's hard to come up with a definite verdict as of yet - their albums can take a lot of time to sink in. Critics seem to love it, but, from what I've heard and read, ordinary listeners seem to be a bit more ambivalent towards it. I feel like it's growing on me the more time I spend with it. I can see what people are saying about wanting a bit more heaviness from the record: not that many of the songs crunch, but those that do, really do. What I'm drawn to more is that some of the songs are very hooky, almost anthemic , but not in a cheap way; more in a way that makes them sound like a collection of swooning, emotional songs, with that trademark mix of romance and grit. I also find a lot to enjoy in the layers and sonic details that they've got going on, they're great at evoking an atmosphere. Take the intro to this song - Ah man, I wish it went on for another ten minutes:

I suppose this will have to be my General Deftones Appreciation Post as well. Really: they're a proper legendary band. I grew up listening a lot of dumb nu-metal and that's how I would have got to know them first, being mentioned in the same breath as Limp Bizkit, Korn etc, etc,. But, even back then I knew they were different than a lot of their contemporaries. They were cut from different cloth: they were better.

White Pony was a very important album to me growing up. It was the first thing I'd listened to that made me realise that you could be metal and heavy as fook, but you could still write music about subjects that had some meaning, actual emotional real world meaning - not just cheesy crap about how the world like SUCKED and how ANGRY it made you feel ALL THE TIME.

It seems fitting that they're still going at it, making music at a high level. It's hard to knock a band that still has things to say after twenty years, while their former associates are knocking around trying to stay relevant, or cast out onto the nostalgia circuit.

A Great bunch of lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Deftones are my fave band and have been for over 20 years now.

As with most of their albums I am not expecting to like Gore from the start. I expect to have to listen to it several times before I am comfortable with it......and this is one reason I love this band! I love picking those little parts of a song that for me ties it all together, the only other bands that afford me that little bit of pleasure are Tool and Faith no More so I guess they are keeping great company!

Actually I am pretty sure I started a Deftones appreciation thread here previously, must take a look!!

Found it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73307094

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Man, only getting around to giving this a spin now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I haven't listened to the album yet, song they released did nothing for me. Camp isn't exactly harmonious these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

A fairly good album but nowhere near as good as White Pony. Prayers/Triangles is a stellar tune though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Listened to bits and pieces, but it's like an extension of the last few albums. That can be a good thing for sure, but I dunno. I must go back and revisit White Pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah Seachto7 an extension of the last few albums seems fitting so while certainly nothing groundbreaking its unmistakably Deftones so that leads to high expectations naturally and with 3 spins so far not much is clicking Xenon and Phantom Bride appear to be the standout tracks for me.

Loved the rest of their catalog a fan since Around the fur, White Pony is the #1 go to and Saturday night wrist seems to get a lot of stick however really enjoy that like the rest...verdict still out on Gore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Gore. More like "Gorgeous"... Very pretty album. Notably lacking the depraved sexuality that oozes from their other stuff.

Advertisement